Police

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Since it dipped well below freezing last night and was only forcast to hit 40 degrees F for a high today three of us decided to run the two mile loop of the perimeter of a nearby regional mall since the 20% of clear sky provided some warmth to this asphalt heat island.
It was perfect, high 30's but our feet were fine.
No real runners, just my wife, our friend, and myself, but all of us true barefoot.
Easy slow 10MM pace, everybody happy. We had even walked the mall barefoot first for some shopping (I tagged along).
The run was fun, but mall security spotted us after a bit and demanded that we show some shoes!
No problems running the lot, just an order to put on shoes and show them immediately or the real police would be called. We laughed him off, but he followed us until we finished. Three security vehicles surrounded ours, and then the city police officer moved in for the confrontation.
The mall security stood by the shoes rule, while the city officer changed it to "no running allowed"
I tried to get it straight but when the real cop said "are you arguing with me?" I backed down.
He said "They (the security guards) own this mall as well as the parking lot, so they make the rules".
I said "no, they are security guards hired by the management of the mall, which I am a part owner of being a shareholder of the real estate investment trust that owns this property"
He demanded my I.D. which I refused to show him, while Diane and Patrice chatted in the van.
I double checked by phone with my attorney and once again told the officer that I was not required to show I.D. since I had done nothing wrong.
Ended up enjoying a barefoot restaurtant lunch, and then returned to a mall store barefoot so Diane could purchase a coat she had earlier spotted.
So I guess I'm still unclear.....RUNNING was the problem, not being barefoot?
Strange turn of events.

So how did it end? I'm in suspense!

Scott wants to know what your cell mate's name is... Hee!

That was it, they all backed down.
But Scott's comment reminds me.....I once had my taxes prepared by H&R Gonif.
Their promise was that if you were ever audited by the IRS they could GUARANTEE that you would not have to share a cell with a guy playing harmonica.

That was it, they all backed down.
But Scott's comment reminds me.....I once had my taxes prepared by H&R Gonif.
Their promise was that if you were ever audited by the IRS they could GUARANTEE that you would not have to share a cell with a guy playing harmonica.

I'd be fine with a guy playing harmonica, so long as he didn't make me play his harmonica :eek:

TJ, did those new modules include an audible rimshot smiley?

No, but that would have been fun!

Just get Rick White Law cards printed up, should do the trick.

I've had a little grief with my last name. Kids in school "what were your ancestors skinheads?" Because of my dark color "is that an Indian name?" It originates from England or Scotland. Time for a google search.
I even had second thoughts about my username. "There is a barefoot White Power supremacist?" some might have wondered.

Reactions: happysongbird
I've had a little grief with my last name. Kids in school "what were your ancestors skinheads?" Because of my dark color "is that an Indian name?" It originates from England or Scotland. Time for a google search.
I even had second thoughts about my username. "There is a barefoot White Power supremacist?" some might have wondered.

So they thought you were a racists AND a member of a minority group at the same time? I take it you did not go to school with the deepest of thinkers...

FWIW, I did not even consider the skinhead thing from your username; I thought you were a lawyer... (Hurt in a car accident? Well call the offices of Rick White Law and we'll get you all sorts of crazy cash! Pain and suffering has never felt so good!)

Now - is it pronounced White-law? Or Whit-law?

I never thought anything of it either.

Surprisingly, shopping malls have been one of the least confrontational BF experiences I've had amongst society. I don't visit them very often though so, maybe I've just been lucky. Store employees there, however, may feel less domineering than those at standalone stores. Meanwhile, the female employees at Salvation Army thrift stores seem to be the most intolerant (sorry if that's offensive to ladies reading this. Male employees at any stores I've been to have never been bothered by my BF-ness).

Surprisingly, shopping malls have been one of the least confrontational BF experiences I've had amongst society. I don't visit them very often though so, maybe I've just been lucky. Store employees there, however, may feel less domineering than those at standalone stores. Meanwhile, the female employees at Salvation Army thrift stores seem to be the most intolerant (sorry if that's offensive to ladies reading this. Male employees at any stores I've been to have never been bothered by my BF-ness).

Wow - that's an oddly specific demographic. They just give you more hassles? Do you think it's a control thing?

Wow - that's an oddly specific demographic. They just give you more hassles? Do you think it's a control thing?
That seems like a probable explanation. These particular thrift stores are run by a religious, charity organization. One might expect them to be more-tolerant rather than less (in this context, at least). Meanwhile, I can spend loads of time at Apple Stores without any footwear on and no one has a problem with it.

I don't go BF that much when not running, the only time I've been challenged was when visiting NY; it was a hot day & after walking round town & then up to the museum mile I was feeling a bit rough & my feet hurt from my shoes. Now, the art did nothing for me, but the Guggenheim is one blissful, smooth, cool spiral of stone - why would I want shoes? I got stopped right at the top & told to put some on, the look on her face when I told her I'd checked them in in the basement was priceless :D (& it was only a tiny little lie - I had checked my shoes in, happens they were the ones I'd just bought & the ones I'd been wearing were in my bag, but still...)

Longboard, almost all of your posts consist of the law and barefoot. Running barefoot in a mall parking lot will obviously raise red flags. I can't disagree with the security guard, it's an odd place to run barefoot. Find a some side streets or some trails. I am so against this whole barefoot thing and fighting the law.

Longboard, almost all of your posts consist of the law and barefoot. Running barefoot in a mall parking lot will obviously raise red flags. I can't disagree with the security guard, it's an odd place to run barefoot. Find a some side streets or some trails. I am so against this whole barefoot thing and fighting the law.

BG, you obviously only scanned my lengthy OP, but here's a copy/paste of the opening line:
"Since it dipped well below freezing last night and was only forcast to hit 40 degrees F for a high today three of us decided to run the two mile loop of the perimeter of a nearby regional mall since the 20% of clear sky provided some warmth to this asphalt heat island."
And here I thought "almost all" of my posts were either about beer or 5K RR's!
Had to check quickly to make sure I wasn't back at that "other place" by mistake.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway