More of less or less of more?

Lee, I get the 'plodding' thing completely. I've just gotten back to where sis milers are even part of my vocabulary. Trying to be careful, i've kept my longer runs at slower pace to build stamina. It's boring as all he!!.

I can't remember the thread it's in, but we were discussing knee pain and min/bare running; I just saw an item in a magazine drawing correlation between minimal/barefoot running and prepatellar bursitis (I have it, and it flares on occasion. i had never linked it to my barefoot running knee ache, though...). In my experience the longer slower runs leave me achier than shorter, tempo-based efforts. It does feel more repetitive than faster running. i may move my longer runs entirely to trails so that there is more variability in my movements to see if it makes a difference. Who knows...

Unrelated- I've just found out, at age 38.75 that I have asthma. I'm takng a rest week while I work in the preventative inhaler medication I was prescribed, to get my lungs opened up. I plan to inch my pace up a bit on all runs to lessen that "plodding slog" feelings as my mileage increases (I have some longer races on the horizon: 220 mile team relay, and a trail half-marathon).

Sorry to hear of the asthma Lomad. Is it a good or bad thing if it happens later in life? I know diabetes is a lot worse when it comes on in childhood. Anyway, hope you're able to get on top of it soon and that it doesn't keep you from your workouts.

It's cool to hear we're all thinking along the same lines here. I feel kinda dumb for not realizing some of this earlier, but it makes perfect sense to me now. I'm glad I launched this thread (my virgin post). The feedback has really clarified/solidified my sense of it, and I hope others have profited from the discussion as well.

Anyway, keep us all posted on your knees and lungs and all the best.

Oh, I think I've had the asthma for ages, it was just mild and I didn't really notice it until I got serious about running and biking again. Before, if i would get winded and feel like I was dying I attributed it to being out of shape and back at the starting gate. After really sticking with it over the last year and it never feeling easier (just wheezier) I decided to make a doctor appointment. He picked up the signs of asthma almost immediately.

I think it's a good thing to know, and be able to treat it. Less chance of keeling over mid-run now, I guess:). My hope is that now that i'm aware and treating it i will see some improved lung function and be able to extend my runs. My legs have been great so hopefully now my lungs will catch up!

Agile, you nailed it. Sometimes going long is a necessary evil. I know it's good, i know i need to do it, I just don't want to. Those days it feels like plodding. Other days, long runs go by like a quick jog around the block. The trick is getting the mental state to the place where it's more zen and less plod...

Reactions: Bare Lee
If you feel like you plodding along I would try to find some trail runs or at least some hilly road runs to make it more interesting. Its fun to run up hills at a slow pace then hammer downhill on them but still keep an even effort the whole time...to me its actually easier on the uphill when running barefoot. You have to keep challenging yourself in some way or another...just change the way you do it to keep it interesting.

I've moved the bulk of my longer runs to trails already, and actively seek out hills. it does help, but some days are just 'off.' It doesn't happen often (I think this thread has given the impression it feels that way a lot); I was just commiserating with Lee that I've had that feeling as well...

I should add i run without music or podcasts or any such; This makes the less awesome longer runs feel even longer. On the good days, it becomes almost meditative and i love it.

I run in the early morning and prefer natural sounds as well, with the birds and insects, and neighborhood rooster. (I live in the 'burbs, so I don't know why there is a rooster, but there are some wooded areas.) Oh right, I also run on the blacktop, so I need to hear the occasional car coming, too.

As far as more of less or less of more, I still consider myself a beginner. I'm trying to gradually build distance, but I'd like to get quicker, too. (Losing those last 15 pounds should help!) As I'm learning to vary surfaces, I'm also learning to vary pace. I've been incorporating some of Higdon's suggestions, and they seem pretty helpful. I haven't added strength yet, as I haven't found it productive in the past while maintaining a calorie deficit.
Half Marathon Training Guide - Intermediate Program

If you just feel "off " now and then maybe you just need to walk for awhile to sort that out...could be you just need to an easy day and walk for your workout...I do this sometimes and walk instead of run....nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Lomad
If you just feel "off " now and then maybe you just need to walk for awhile to sort that out...could be you just need to an easy day and walk for your workout...I do this sometimes and walk instead of run....nothing wrong with that.
If you are having a bad run day, long or short, there is nothing wrong with calling it quits for the day. I truly believe this but I have a hard time calling it quits myself. I'm stubborn and I almost have a fight with myself about calling it. I hate quitting and it's hard for me to bring myself to do it even though I know there's nothing wrong with it.

I truly believe this but I have a hard time calling it quits myself. I'm stubborn and I almost have a fight with myself about calling it. I hate quitting and it's hard for me to bring myself to do it even though I know there's nothing wrong with it.[/quote said:
That's called sorting it out...most of time its just you need to move along and get running but now and then a walk would be better...more sorting it out....don't feel bad about having to sort it out.

I run in the early morning and prefer natural sounds as well, with the birds and insects, and neighborhood rooster.

I've been trying and trying to get in the runs first thing in the morning, but it's really the last thing I want to do when I first wake up. But I know early morning workouts are the key to consistency over the long run for a lot of people. Have you always run early in the morning Sid? Or did you have to transition into it a bit before it became easy to hit the road soon after waking up?

I used to always run early morning and had a love hate relationship with it. For the first couple weeks it was really easy to hit the snooze button and go back to sleep instead of getting up. After a couple weeks it got easier and I would enjoy my runs more and getting up wasn't so bad anymore.

Morning Nick!
Yah the struggle is mental. I delivered newspapers early in the morning when I was a kid, and hit the road about a half hour after waking up when I was traveling by bicycle, so I know it's possible. But right now when I wake up I immediately think of a shot of espresso and some internet news browsing (and BRS forum quipping), before settling down to work. It will take some effort to reprogram.

Have you always run early in the morning Sid? Or did you have to transition into it a bit before it became easy to hit the road soon after waking up?

A year and a half ago, when I first decided to get back in shape, I didn't have a lot of endurance. So, I would do 20 minutes of cardio in the morning and 20 min in the afternoon. I felt pretty rotten the first week or two, almost like I had the flu, but it was just my body adjusting to getting up early. It's sort of like when the clock changes forward for daylight saving.

I've found that when I'm in shape and stick to a cardio routine, I naturally need about an hour less sleep and wake up ahead of my alarm. Maybe I'm lucky, since I essentially get back the time that I spend exercising.

Right now, it's so hot in Florida that it's coolest in the morning, so that's another reason. The afternoon heat and humidity just saps all my energy. Even at dusk, the blacktop is still pretty warm.

As for my morning drink, I mix some whey protein powder with some unsweetened cocoa powder, before I go for my jog. (I'm still watching the carbs until I get back to my goal weight.)

A year and a half ago, when I first decided to get back in shape, I didn't have a lot of endurance. So, I would do 20 minutes of cardio in the morning and 20 min in the afternoon. I felt pretty rotten the first week or two, almost like I had the flu, but it was just my body adjusting to getting up early. It's sort of like when the clock changes forward for daylight saving.

I've found that when I'm in shape and stick to a cardio routine, I naturally need about an hour less sleep and wake up ahead of my alarm. Maybe I'm lucky, since I essentially get back the time that I spend exercising.

Right now, it's so hot in Florida that it's coolest in the morning, so that's another reason. The afternoon heat and humidity just saps all my energy. Even at dusk, the blacktop is still pretty warm.

As for my morning drink, I mix some whey protein powder with some unsweetened cocoa powder, before I go for my jog. (I'm still watching the carbs until I get back to my goal weight.)
Yah, I've found that exercise adds time, doesn't take it away. Not only do I sleep better and a little less, but I work better too, so get more done.
As for morning, as you said, I may have to rough out a transition period before it becomes second nature. Thanks for the feedback.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon