Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

Oh hey, mileage reporting... I'm at 180km for the year so far. Kilometers, not miles... Only about a quarter of them BF because of the weather and because I've been running in my Breathos, getting used to them. No complaints with the shoes at all, which is prolly a first for me!

Oh hey, mileage reporting... I'm at 180km for the year so far. Kilometers, not miles... Only about a quarter of them BF because of the weather and because I've been running in my Breathos, getting used to them. No complaints with the shoes at all, which is prolly a first for me!

So that makes 111.85 miles for the year then, I am not keeping a tally this year but I might be there along with you...and all of them BF :D
I probably should start keeping track though so I can run more miles than you...hehehe.

So that makes 111.85 miles for the year then, I am not keeping a tally this year but I might be there along with you...and all of them BF :D
I probably should start keeping track though so I can run more miles than you...hehehe.

<sigh> I have to admit that I was pretty happy not keeping track but then I d/l'd this cool little running gps app for my phone and now ... I'm back at it again, oh well.

<sigh> I have to admit that I was pretty happy not keeping track but then I d/l'd this cool little running gps app for my phone and now ... I'm back at it again, oh well.

I think that it is good to keep track because that keeps you motivated...don't I know it.

Oh, got a big ol' case of the lazy's this evening. Was planning on working on a project for a few hours, get a work out in and do a little more work...turns out that I needed to get the project delivered this afternoon, so worked all the way through and now have no energy (I'm typically better at working out in the early/mid day, than at night). Welp, there's always tomorrow!

Reactions: Sid
Hey, Sid, were on similar levels with the swimming. I have finally worked up to doing the first full lap (back and forth) without stopping, but after that, wall to wall and I need a rest. 10 laps freestyle in 30 minutes has been the best I've been able to do so far. My friend who swims said my form looks fine, but the breathing thing is what is getting me as well.
Looks like I was trying to copy some bad form from the guy from yesterday, as he was really coming out of the water to breathe. I should have been trying to learn from this guy. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'd love to have made some progress by the time I go to my next swim class. Good luck!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I think that it is good to keep track because that keeps you motivated...don't I know it.

Yeah, true. But there's no yang without a yin. And in my case, there's a fine line between motivation and overtraining. It was tracking my mileage and competing in an online forum that got me into trouble a few years ago. And it's a permanent affliction, something I have to stay aware of all the time. Sucks :-(

Tuesday afternoon
3.21 mi / 5.17 km running
1.27 mi walking
24 F / -4.5 C
14 F / -10 C windchill

Set out in my Neo Trails, although a lot of the snow on the sidewalks and along the fairgrounds roads had been cleared or shovelled/plowed down to a thin, compacted covering. I kind of surprised myself with a 9mm pace for a good part of the run, my first meso run in a while. My lungs were pretty happy with the moderate temps so hopefully the flu-bug thing is behind me. Good to hear HappyBirdSong and Chris are just about over theirs as well.

I stretched after 1.3 miles at my stretching pillar in the fairgrounds, and then set off on my 1.7 fairgrounds loop. Just before the spot where they had the snow sculptures (sorry Willie, no pics--it was either too cold last week or our son too sick to take the fam to go see them) I moved over towards the snow bank on the side of the road to get out of the way of an oncoming car. Just there I hit some black ice and had my first wipe-out of the season. I'm pretty sure if I had been bare it wouldn't have happened. Anyway, I got back up on my feet in the same motion and continued on with my run but noticed I had pulled a muscle in my right thigh slightly while unsuccessfully trying to recover my balance. It didn't seem to bother my running however, so I continued on at a slightly slower pace. I was still close to my threshold at about 9:20 mm pace. It was nice to be having a good tempo run instead of doing fartleks or an LS run.

Then, just as I had left the fairgrounds and was heading back into the neighborhood to pick up my daughter at Discovery Club, my right calf muscle seized up on me. WTF? I tried to stretch it out a bit, but nothing doing, I was done for the day running-wise, and so walked the remaining half mile to the school with a mild limp. I don't know if the cramp is related to the pulled muscle in the thigh, or if perhaps it was caused by running in the Neo Trails on mostly clear surfaces, which probably affected my gait/foot-landing. Or maybe it was lack of sleep. I had only slept about four hours the night before, and I've just read that lack of sleep, dehydration, or electrolyte imbalances can lead to cramps. Maybe it was a combination of all these factors plus the fact that I was pushing the pace a bit after several weeks of easy running.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about it. In fact, it's kind of a relief to have to deal with a pure muscle issue instead of a joint/tendon issue, and it's also nice to have it on my right side instead of the more problematic left side. Also, no ITB symptoms whatsoever, so perhaps the consecutive day micro/mini runs are helping. Or perhaps it was just the flu-induced break from longer runs.

Don't know if I'll be able to do my micro run today. Any advice on how to treat this? Do I ice it or heat it? Should I stretch it or just massage and rest it? I've already ordered a ProTec Calf Sleeve. It mostly just hurts descending stairs. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before, although I have to laugh at myself once again. I thought perhaps my injury-prone ways were behind me, but I see the curse is still in effect. Perhaps I'll only be in the clear once my bfr twin Nick is as well.

No swimming today. All 4 lanes were occupied with people doing laps. Maybe today's the busy day of the week? I'll make sure to get there at 5A when they open tomorrow.

Came home and did 30min on the kettlebells. I was thinking that kettlebells seem to be good for swimming, too. There's a lot of shoulder, upper body, as well as whole body involvement.

No swimming today. All 4 lanes were occupied with people doing laps. Maybe today's the busy day of the week. I make sure to get there at 5A when they open tomorrow.

Came home and did 30min on the kettlebells.
Hey Sid, a while back you recommended a heated massager. Could you remind me what the make and model was? I think it was something in the $40-50 range, if memory serves.

Reactions: Sid
Hey Sid, a while back you recommended a heated massager. Could you remind me what the make and model was? I think it was something in the $40-50 range, if memory serves.
The one I have is made by Homedics, and I bought it from Walmart for around $30-40. It looks like this model, but does not have the extension feature.

The heat feature takes a bit of time to warm up. I'll turn it on to the heated setting with the percussion on low and let it sit for a few minutes on the floor.

Hit up one of the metro parks on the way home - it's great getting off at 4 now instead of 6! Also found out the 4mi loop they actually plow so no snow to worry about. Was hoping to do two laps but I spent too much time fiddling with shoes and whatnot that I ran out of daylight. After the first loop I did 1/2 mile out and then back as a cool down so ~5mi total. Still having issues running in shoes.

Yeah, true. But there's no yang without a yin. And in my case, there's a fine line between motivation and overtraining. It was tracking my mileage and competing in an online forum that got me into trouble a few years ago. And it's a permanent affliction, something I have to stay aware of all the time. Sucks :-(

I was going to say that on the previous reply because I went throught that myself once but I did learn from it.
I am so much in tune with my body now and can quickly tell when I am getting into trouble by "overtraining"
I do a lot self talk when "competing" with forum friends and it keeps me grounded and accept the fact that I not always have to win. Gosh, but I like winning :). I am my worst enemy!

I was going to say that on the previous reply because I went throught that myself once but I did learn from it.

good to know I'm not the only one :cool:

My best times, by the way? A lot faster than yours, hehe ;)

Also, went out for a little leg-loosening 5k today, mostly just to give the oggie-doggie something to do :)

Don't know if I'll be able to do my micro run today. Any advice on how to treat this? Do I ice it or heat it? Should I stretch it or just massage and rest it? I've already ordered a ProTec Calf Sleeve. It mostly just hurts descending stairs. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before, although I have to laugh at myself once again. I thought perhaps my injury-prone ways were behind me, but I see the curse is still in effect. Perhaps I'll only be in the clear once my bfr twin Nick is.

Go down the stairs backwards that way it doesn't hurt that much.
Ice only for the first 48 hrs and then heat. After 48 hrs if you like you could do cold'heat therapy as in 15/20 mins ice then 15/20 mins heat, rinsed and repeat for about an hr.
Are you taking vit D3 supplement? if not you should consider doing so.
Also make sure you're consuming plenty of magnesium, pumpkin seeds are my favorite for magnesium supplementation.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon