IBRD

I'm pretty new here and haven't posted much, but I have been running barefoot for over ten years. I like the IBRD idea because it definitely helps get the message out that barefoot running is not an isolated, local phenomenon - people all over the world are doing it. I didn't organize an "official" event, but I did try and organize a group through our local runners club. Two people besides myself attended (one barefoot and one minimalist shoe wearer) and we had a great 5K run! It was the first time EVER (in ten+ years) that I've run with another barefooter.

Definitely looking forward to next year's IBRD! I may have to formalize the event next year!
Here's a couple photos of our group - I'm the guy in the IBRD T-shirt!

Tom
Erie, PA

View attachment 388

IBRD2012-4.jpg

barefootandagile said:
Looks liKe I may need to organize an "IBSRD", perhaps we could do it on the same date??

Is it just a coincidence that "IBSRD" sounds like "Absurd"?

Adam, are you just wanting to start crap lately, to stand out or be different? Are you just trying to be "our controversial barefoot runner?" (I guess every forum needs one.) Or is something going on with you? What gives with the attitude lately?
You mean BG used to be different? I've only been tuning in for a few months, but I was enjoying his grumpy old man persona. What was he like before?

I am a hermit when it comes running, love running alone. I keep quit about the whole barefoot thing at races, i really don't like talking about to be honest, it's just the way I run now. I guess I should be more proactive.
I hear you. I'm not even sure I understand the concept of racing. Seems like being surround by a bunch of skinny prima donnas would distract from the run.

Well, Lee, we thank you for your purchase of the tee shirt, and you did get a good shirt I hope you will enjoy all year long. But it sounds to me like you had a great day after all. You can't beat hanging out with family. Oh, didn't I read on their Facebook page that they are rescheduling for a week later? Maybe you can join them then.

Sailor, that IBRD shirt sure looks comfy. How do you like it? Official or non-official, that counts as an event! Thanks for recording it under Jamie's Official thread for us.

Gent is a nice guy. He just seems to be going through something lately, a little growth, like we all do now and again.

Didn't Gentile get a new job recently? Maybe it's raising his stress level... I do like that he seems to get a lot of conversation going though. Seems to be a lot of insight that comes out of it.

Yes, there's a lot of insight, but at the same time, we want to be supportive of one-another, not just the veterans, but the newcomers especially, for obvious reasons. (referencing past posts here)

Maybe standing on his feet 8 hours a day now is getting to him? At least making those feet stronger! :)

Well, Lee, we thank you for your purchase of the tee shirt, and you did get a good shirt I hope you will enjoy all year long. But it sounds to me like you had a great day after all. You can't beat hanging out with family. Oh, didn't I read on their Facebook page that they are rescheduling for a week later? Maybe you can join them then.

Sailor, that IBRD shirt sure looks comfy. How do you like it? Official or non-official, that counts as an event! Thanks for recording it under Jamie's Official thread for us.

Gent is a nice guy. He just seems to be going through something lately, a little growth, like we all do now and again.
Yes, I'm quite happy with the t-shirt, and I'm not usually one to wear stuff that says stuff. Will probably wear it on today's run, to give it a proper baptism. Next weekend won't work unfortunately, but I didn't mean to imply in any way that I was blaming anyone for the cancellation. I just think it's funny that the one time I set aside time for a group run it got cancelled. I always set aside one full day on the weekend for family day, and that's usually why I can't make the group runs. Oh well, I'll be with them in spirit.

Yes, there's a lot of insight, but at the same time, we want to be supportive of one-another, not just the veterans, but the newcomers especially, for obvious reasons. (referencing past posts here)

Maybe standing on his feet 8 hours a day now is getting to him? At least making those feet stronger! :)
I understand about tbeing supportive of one another. He was supportive of me last year when I started and had a lot of questions and I think that's why I usually give him the benefit of the doubt, but I too have noticed a drastic change. Hope everything's going ok for him.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Just to let some know, things are great! Working hard again, and the family is healthy. I am just not into these "barefoot" holidays or whatever you call them, so I will keep my mouth shut from now on, and will not make any remarks about them. And I discovered another thing, you do not need supportive shoes to stand for eight hours a day. I can thank barefoot running for that!

Reactions: barefootandagile
Gentile, I knew back when you were asking about shoes for work that you would not need cushioning or support. Glad you have adjusted.

As for the OP. I like the idea of IBRD and look forward to the time I can participate. I am an extreme loner. Been running by myself forever and recently found that entering races and doing a few group runs is fun. It's great to interact with people with something in common. It is breaking me out of my shell a little. If anyone would have told me 2 years ago that I would be posting in a forum, I would have told them no way. Still don't have facebook or a blog though, but never say never.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I find normal shoes hurt my feet, even when the normal shoes are wide enough. It would be hell standing in them for 8 hours. My wife can't comprehend when I tell her my old cushy shoes hurt but standing barefoot on hard pavement feels so much better. Wonder what it is about shoes that make them hurt?

I find normal shoes hurt my feet, even when the normal shoes are wide enough. It would be hell standing in them for 8 hours. My wife can't comprehend when I tell her my old cushy shoes hurt but standing barefoot on hard pavement feels so much better. Wonder what it is about shoes that make them hurt?

I can think of few reasons.......

Well, went for a run yesterday with my IBRD t-shirt, on a new route through a semi-industrial area that actually did have some broken glass patches (which I ran through in bliss), then by the edge of the U of M Mpls. campus, and then home along the U of M dedicated bus/bike path back to St. Paul. Instead of people just looking at my feet, they also looked at my chest. I felt a bit more self-conscious than normal, and wasn't entirely comfortable in the role of evangelist. I also wore my BRS t-shirt to a party on Saturday which featured 1940s and 50s educational films, where I also felt kind of funny. Luckily, most people had the proper interactive software to appreciate the display. After 30 years of being a mild barefoot eccentric, I'm not sure I'm ready for a more public role, but I'm giving it a try.

P.S., Good to hear Monsieur Gentile is doing well. I hope this doesn't mean an end to the postal provocations.

My momma always said Gent, my dear friend, "If you have nothing positive to say, keep your trap shut!" Thank you for your support in keeping your trap shut. :p

My momma always said, "If you have nothing positive to say, keep your trap shut!" Thank you for your support in keeping your trap shut. :p
Was that directed at me? I actually did give my little spiel at the party about the benefits of barefooting. What's different now is that I can quote anecdotal research, and have a t-shirt (I also just bought one of Jason's BRU hoodies and bumper stickers), whereas before, up to a year or two ago, I would just say I liked it when asked about my bare feet at social gatherings. Now some of my friends think I'm even more whack than before, which is generally a good thing for all involved.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7