Hey From New Mexico

A little late to the party I am, but it is good to see one our 50 is not missing.

Where in New Mexico are you Refoman?

Prior to living here in the Raleigh-Durham area, we owned a home in Eldorado (Santa Fe). My mother-in-law and her s.o. live in San Lorenzo on the Mimbres Hot Springs Ranch, as does my brother-in-law. They all work in Silver City at the hospital or teach (my MIL teaches art).

We live in the NE heights--just north of the mall. We have some friends who just sold a house they had been renting in Eldorado. That's beautiful up there. I hear the wells are drying up. But then again, so is the whole state. We're having the worst drought in over 50 years (or so they say).

I told Phil Hart (above) that my brother-in-law and his family moved to Charlotte about a year ago. It's weird how small the world is sometimes.

BTW: love your screen name.

Reactions: Phil Hart
I'm working through the excuses. I'm running barefoot in the dark with a headlight. I'm trying not to think about the cold--yet.

HaHa! (cold) Out of mind, out of body!

That's good advice--especially for someone who really competes with himself. I try to "listen to my body." I really wanted to run this morning, but I made it a rest day.

I'm excited about tomorrow's run. I've been looking forward to it all day.[/quote]

That's one thing I have actually come to enjoy most about barefoot running. Although it can be frustrating at first, your bare feet will tell you if its a good idea to head out the door. When I try to push things and go out anyway, I feel clunky, slow, and heavy; which makes the feet suffer as well since landings aren't as light. Tuning into your natural kinesthetic and biological intelligence is the best way to approach running (and life for that matter :)

Well, I've run and mile and quarter barefoot this week (yes, exactly a mile and quarter--I love my Garmin!). Thanks to the several years of minimal shoe running, I don't think my muscles and tendons, etc., are too far off. Lots of room for improvement, but not bad. The problem is the bottoms of my feet! The pavement on the bike path and street is very rough. I can run on the sidewalk along the street, but oh that pavement. There's a nearby section of bike path that has been recently repaved. I'm going to see if that is any smoother. The problem with that section is the (xeriscape) landscaping is irrigated with reclaimed (runoff) water from the arroyo and overflows onto the path. I'd rather not expose myself my feet to that. I guess I'll just have to figure out timing of the irrigation system. I suppose it's good that my feet are so tender--it keeps me from running to far or trying too much.

Reactions: Phil Hart
Welcome RefoMan!

I go through the reacclimation process each spring as my feet build back up to some kind of toughness. I am happy to set out on a run with my VFF's in my hands. The thought of having a bad run as a result of encountering painful or potentially damaging surfaces is enough to scare sense into me. Besides, if I never get around to putting them on, they're just 5.6 ounce hand weights.

I think even Masai warriors wear some sort of sandals.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts