Hello from Wisconsin

badtoes

Barefooters
Dec 7, 2012
Wisconsin
Hi. Just got into the minimalist shoe & barefoot lifestyle July 2012 after being in bilateral foot hell from hallux rigidus for over 2 years. I had 3 procedures done with mixed results. Recovery was slow and progress ground to a halt by the end of Spring 2012 in that I could only walk short distances in stiff shoes. I was told that the dull ache would only go away by having the joints fused which I refused.
This July I discovered on my own that going barefoot on select surfaces actually felt good and then I found out about minimalist shoes and an article by Dr. Mark C. from a Google search using the right keywords to again search for wide toe box shoes that had a narrow heel. This Fall I am now able to run,walk or hike (in shoes) up to 2-3 miles several times a day with a goal of a 5k run next year.

My avatar picture was my worst foot in 2010.

Reactions: Sid
Welcome to the board. What part of WI are you from? My Hubby grew up right outside of Wausau and we have spent time up there and up in the north woods. I am a Southern girl at great though and don't think I could handle the cold for more than a week or two.

Thanks. I'm south of Wausau just north of Stevens Point. Lots of wooded trails to use when it is not a hunting season. Several inches of fresh snow on the ground today so I plan to go snowshoeing this afternoon keeping warm and dry with Neos overshoes. Some cold damp days I would love to live down South because the outdoor barefoot/mesh shoe and sandal season is much longer.

Welcome! Do you have a link to that article? Dr. Mark is one of our docs from our Ask the Docs forum. Please feel free to pose your medical questions there. And please feel free to join the Wisconsin Chapter.