Hello from the UK

Hi there everyone. I'm new to barefoot/minimalist running, and here hoping to get advice and inspiration.

As to running background -- I used to run about 10-15 years ago, but was always plagued by knee problems (which I only recently got diagnosed as arthritis), so it was always up & down, on & off with training and running races. As to the barefoot part -- my home life and much of my work is done barefoot anyway, and I wear high heels only about once every 5 years, and I've done yoga for decades, so foot/toe articulation and foot muscle balance and development isn't totally new, so that was good grounding.

I was told about 2 years ago that I should no longer run, after an xray showed that there was little cartilege left in my knees, and I was at the time about 6 stone/85 lbs heavier than normal, and experienced severe swelling and lack of mobility in my knee joints after running only a few hundred yards. I had also developed an undiagnosable inflammatory condition in my feet. But anyway -- long story short -- lost the weight, ditched my old running shoes (really, they were 9 years old!), and started learning to run again from scratch about 6 weeks ago. During the 1st week, I ran with my old trainers while trying to apply midfoot/forefoot strking ala Pose Method/natural running methods, and while that plus no longer being very heavy did make a huge difference, the old problems & sadly a couple new ones (IT band issues) developed after I got a few kms of running done -- so I decided to try barefoot running and then got some Vibrams.

So far, so good. I go back and forth between the roads near my home and the treadmill at the gym; half barefoot and half the time in my Vibram KSOs, half the time getting stares and giggles and half the time being ignored.

Having a lot of fun so far, but my OH is sick and tired of hearing me talk about feet and running, so I thought I'd join you guys here and pester you with all my questions and such :)

Nice to see another beginner and european (like me). Sounds like youve made good progress already - good luck with the training.

Thank you, Technobear! Well, not sure I'd say I've made good progress just yet, but so nice of you to spur me on. I'm looking to see if I can invest in an hour or two of coaching with a local barefoot running coach I just found near me, so I can make sure that I do this right. My main goal is to be able to keep this up uninjured --dont care a hoot about how fast or furious I run. Not a competative person. I just want to run without my old knees giving out, or IT band or anything else for that matter

So far, so good. I go back and forth between the roads near my home and the treadmill at the gym; half barefoot and half the time in my Vibram KSOs, half the time getting stares and giggles and half the time being ignored.:)

Wow - you just described my entire adulthood...and the stares and giggles had nothing to do with being barefoot, believe you me! :D

Good for you for getting back in shape! You'll probably hear this a lot, but just be mindful of not doing too much too soon (or, TMTS) so as to not injure yourself...

Also, isn't 6 stone 84 lbs? (The ex-GF hailed from the UK and she taught me some English :) )

Reactions: Stephanie
Wow - you just described my entire adulthood...and the stares and giggles had nothing to do with being barefoot, believe you me! :D

LOL

Good for you for getting back in shape! You'll probably hear this a lot, but just be mindful of not doing too much too soon (or, TMTS) so as to not injure yourself...

Thank you!

Also, isn't 6 stone 84 lbs? (The ex-GF hailed from the UK and she taught me some English :) )

Yup. You're "spot on." Just being sloppy, me.

Hello, Stephanie! Nice to have you around. The IT band issue was one of the things that lead me to barefoot running. I definitely recommend you run as much as you can barefooted, only resorting to Vibrams when the weather or bad terrain make it wise. I wore Vibrams for a while when I started and found that they still "let" me hit too hard and I began having pain in my feet. And, yes, take it slow and be patient with progress.

Reactions: DNEchris
Hi Stephanie. Welcome.

To echo Happysongbird - run barefoot when you can. I've just run my first 5 days in footwear since the end of April and I'm definitely having to adjust my technique as I've got aches now where 2000+ miles of skin-to-ground running this year had not put them before.

Enjoy the adventure!

Reactions: happysongbird
Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

Be sure to join the UK Chapter through the Chapters link above if you are interested, Stephanie.

Welcome to the family of those who always get looked at oddly, Stephanie! We're glad to have you with us. Laura and Chris are right on the money. I had the same experience with VFFs. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but they take away your ground feel and provide you with a false sense of security early on (I broke a bone in my left foot using them to try to keep from having to slow and shorten my runs during my transition from shod running). I use them now as tools when it's too cold or the terrain is just unmanageable, but truly BF is lots more fun and really is the best way to make the switch safely.

My fellow crazies here have lots of great experience that they are willing to share, as they have done for me over the last 2 years of my moving to BF as my sole (ta-dump-bump) running plan. So ask lots of questions, and you'll get lots of good and varied answers from folks who have trod this road before you.

Hello Stephanie
Welcome here amongst the barefooted weirdos! :D
Stares are normal I suppose. Giggles or laughs are a sign of happiness: Your being barefoot made somebody happy: that's great, isn't it?
Have a great time here and whenever you are barefooting around! :barefoot:

Hello and welcome Stephanie. Good luck with your running - and in your search for other barefoot runners.
(I saw in your other post that you are from Reading - I used to live there and was there at the weekend (I'm in Cornwall now). I went for a run on Sunday (around Sonning and Woodley) but couldn't quite pluck up the courage to take my shoes off- if I'd seen your post beforehand we could have teamed up for moral support! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon