Hello from Santa Clarita, CA!

Barefoot RPS

Barefooters
Apr 13, 2024
Hello everyone!

I just turned 50 in January and recently finished a few books on Barefoot running, starting with a fellow named Csaba Lucas who wrote 'Barefoot Sole', 'Born to Run,' and Barefoot Ken Bob's book 'Barefoot Running Step by Step.' I have a long history of running, but have been out of the game for two years because the bottom of my right foot was hurting. Reading these books... everything makes sense now. The fallen arches, a torn meniscus about 7 years ago, and then right foot pain. I had been wearing shoes with major arch support.. not helpful. At any rate, I was delighted to discover this website after visiting Ken Bob's site and finding a link leading to this one.

I started going barefoot and doing some hiking trails in the neighborhood and have been enjoying it a great deal up until recently. I suspect I might be another BRES victim and may have gone too much too fast, so I am having to cool my jets to let me knee recover. I am hoping to get back on track soon, Lord willing, and perhaps even get to join the Los Angeles chapter for a run when I am able. Glad to connect with you all!

Paul

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Hello everyone!

I just turned 50 in January and recently finished a few books on Barefoot running, starting with a fellow named Csaba Lucas who wrote 'Barefoot Sole', 'Born to Run,' and Barefoot Ken Bob's book 'Barefoot Running Step by Step.' I have a long history of running, but have been out of the game for two years because the bottom of my right foot was hurting. Reading these books... everything makes sense now. The fallen arches, a torn meniscus about 7 years ago, and then right foot pain. I had been wearing shoes with major arch support.. not helpful. At any rate, I was delighted to discover this website after visiting Ken Bob's site and finding a link leading to this one.

I started going barefoot and doing some hiking trails in the neighborhood and have been enjoying it a great deal up until recently. I suspect I might be another BRES victim and may have gone too much too fast, so I am having to cool my jets to let me knee recover. I am hoping to get back on track soon, Lord willing, and perhaps even get to join the Los Angeles chapter for a run when I am able. Glad to connect with you all!

Paul
Barefoot Ken Bob has a run planned for International Barefoot Running Day on Sunday, May 5. If you’re healthier by then, maybe you could join them. Be sure to join the Los Angeles Chapter if you haven’t already, and check out the details to his IBRD event: https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/ibrd-huntington-beach-california.24069/

Take it easy as you start; stay slow and pay attention to all aspects of running and hiking form, gait, and foot position (like how much your feet are parallel or pigeon-toed) especially since your arches have been weak in the past. Have fun, but develop an awareness of the peculiarities of your movement. I highly recommend training in tai chi, karate, and martial arts for their attention to the details of movement, alongside running. Remember the emphasis upon smoothness of movement in Born to Run.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Barefoot Ken Bob has a run planned for International Barefoot Running Day on Sunday, May 5. If you’re healthier by then, maybe you could join them. Be sure to join the Los Angeles Chapter if you haven’t already, and check out the details to his IBRD event: https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/ibrd-huntington-beach-california.24069/
Thanks so much Barefoot TJ, I would love to come out for this. However, my right knee is still swollen with fluid and I have another doctor appointment this week where they will do an ultrasound on it since the x ray they already did yielded no issues. I will probably have to lay low for a bit yet.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Take it easy as you start; stay slow and pay attention to all aspects of running and hiking form, gait, and foot position (like how much your feet are parallel or pigeon-toed) especially since your arches have been weak in the past. Have fun, but develop an awareness of the peculiarities of your movement. I highly recommend training in tai chi, karate, and martial arts for their attention to the details of movement, alongside running. Remember the emphasis upon smoothness of movement in Born to Run.
Thank you so much Ira, it is much appreciated. I tried to start slow, at least I thought I did, but clearly not slow enough. I look forward to trying again once the knee issues settle down.