Going insane not running

Well, gonna try a small short run today and see how the knee holds up. I hate pains like this that you are just not sure if it's anything serious or one that you can push through. It's nothing major, right now, and I feel like I can push through it, but I don't know if that's the wisest choice. I did some short little jogs chasing my son yesterday while playing baseball and my knee seemed to be relatively fine. There was a little achiness but nothing that really concerned me too much. Anyhow, wish me luck...

So I only ran 1.16 miles. The pain wasn't too bad but I could not shake the limp. No matter what I tried to do I had a limp (no limp while walking) so I guess that means I'm shut down for a while still. I went to the gym afterwards and felt really weak today. I'm afraid this stomach thing that is bothering me this morning might be something more than what I thought...

Oh and on a side note, I tried the treadmill today for just a couple minutes. My pace is a full 2 1/2 mph slower now than what it was a year and a half ago. I could not get up to the 7 mph like I used to (couldn't get past 5.3 mph). I was a steady 4.5. I also noted how unnatural it felt running on it and how much more it hurt my knee than just running outdoors.

Nick, I just wrote about using the stairway/railing as a guage of soreness in a thread last week. Maybe there's a scientific paper there somewhere.

Hope your knee straightens out for you soon.

Nick,

Sorry you are struggling....reading stories like yours is what inspires me to keep coaching runners. Unfortunately there always seems to be injured runners that need advice or help. If you have any technique questions I would certainly be willing to offer some suggestions as time permits. Rest and keep positive.

Nick,

I won't say it. :) But I will say that I had a weird stomach ache yesterday and was super tired yesterday. I am super tired today too. I blame it on allergies to the stupid cottonwoods!!! I see them in the air, everywhere, right now.

B&A, thanks for your offer of help. I'm pretty sure I know what started the problem. I'm pretty sure it was while doing some intervals in some minshoes I have a couple weeks ago. They are 3-4 mm of drop and I have a hard time running in them. I feel like I lose all the elastic recoil and free energy in them. Not sure what it is about this particular shoe that does this. I can wear numerous other shoes I have, from huaraches to Altra Adams, to my old boat anchors, and I don't have this problem. It feels like I get tired in them really fast. I am actually debating trying another short run on Wednesday. My knee feels much better this evening than it did earlier today. Maybe it will work itself out on its own?

Jen, I don't know that I even want to know what you were going to say. Probably something about wanting to get your hands on my knee...:confused: I wouldn't have called my stomach issues today a stomach ache, not at all. It probably would have fit very well in another post on here, only not caused by running... My boy seems to have the same problem today so I am assuming we must have some sort of bug or virus.

Jen, I don't know that I even want to know what you were going to say. Probably something about wanting to get your hands on my knee...:confused: quote]

I will wear you down, Nick, and I WILL get my hands on your knee!!! Lol! :rolleyes:

B&A, after waking up this morning with the knee in more pain again I am just going to stick to my guns of no running till it's healed. I'm too afraid of having a blow out so to speak and then really being off for a long time.

Jen, you're a huggy touchy feely weirdo. ;)

Reactions: jldeleon
Nick, sorry to hear that you are having problems. Knee pain is a bugger. I've been battling it for a long time, I've had good luck lately. Time to find some other activities for a while. When you do feel up to running again, mix up your routine, try different surfaces, go fast, go slow, stop, walk. I think variety helps. Get well soon.

Ya thanks Rick. I am going to the gym in the meantime. Tomorrow I am going to see how the knee does on the bike, hopefully I can do that. A little nervous I won't be able to as I'm nervous about how much cardio I will lose with just doing weights and no cardio. If I can't do the bike I guess I will take some walks as walking doesn't seem to bother the knee.

Ya thanks Rick. I am going to the gym in the meantime. Tomorrow I am going to see how the knee does on the bike, hopefully I can do that. A little nervous I won't be able to as I'm nervous about how much cardio I will lose with just doing weights and no cardio. If I can't do the bike I guess I will take some walks as walking doesn't seem to bother the knee.
Nick, you might give rowing a try, and you could do it with poor technique by letting your back and arms do most of the work. Your legs and knees would mostly be along for the ride. That's what I do sometimes, not because of injury, but because my legs are already getting good workouts running and strength training, but it might work for avoiding aggravating the knee too.

Lee, I have a really small gym here at my condo and while there is a multifunction machine, there is no rower. It'll be ok, I'll figure something out. We have a couple different types of bikes and a crappy stair climber (hate this thing) and a treadmill too.