Disdain for shoes

deviantrunner

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Holly Springs, NC
If you are like me... the last year+ of running barefoot has cause me to develop a broad spectrum intolerance for most conventional shoes.

If this has happened to you, I am wondering... how has your disdain for shoes affected your life?

I'm even starting to loathe

I'm even starting to loathe flip-flops. It will affect me tremendously when I can no longer go into the stores. ;-)

I maintain a degree of

I maintain a degree of respect for footwear- in the right environment. At work I'm around heavy equipment, logs and chainsaws. Also, I will not ever want to get used to slushy snow and hard freezing weather barefoot. Can anyone imagine going out icefishing or even sledding without decent pac boots? No, thanks!

Even for running, I will make allowances. I'm signed up for a 13.1 mile race next May 1st ( the Lehigh Valley Half). The organizers kindly included an excellent map of the course which shows that about 5 miles of one stretch is over crushed stone, which hereabouts is of 1 to 1.5" dimensions. It sucks to run on that stuff barefoot, I know, but is not too bad in my Bikilas.

I dontated all my old shoes

I dontated all my old shoes to Goodwill recently. I feel a *bit sorry to inflict foot pain on other people, but my old high-heels, ballet flats, trainers, & msc. shoes had to go. I only kept one narrow pair that I'm still in love with (but I can never wear because my feet are too wide) ...other than that my closet is full of moccasins & water shoes.

It's a good thing!

I hate shoes so much I

I hate shoes so much I started blogging on it. I find my blog to be unique. Most blogs are commonly about BF running. I have found a few that are not BF running focused, but the runners are the real buzz right now. I like to promote BF everything, and just expose ideas for us all to think about. I believe taking off our shoes can build a more healthy community. So I'm sharing my experience, ideas, tips, etc. Check out the link in my sig if interested. I welcome other ideas to comment both positive and negative. I'm even very critical on the min shoe industry though I have not dived into this yet much in my blog. Feel free to browse. I could write pages worth of info on why I don't tolerate shoes well........

I would have to say shoes to

I would have to say shoes to me now are frustrating at best. Its amazing how much they bother me when a little over a year ago I would not even waste a thought on what I put on my feet. If I have to wear something out I feel most comfortable in my moccasins now. You would not believe what I am running in now throughout the winter months.

Then I guess I'm shallow in

Then I guess I'm shallow in Adam G world. Very well I can handle that. I've never had any problem with shod runners, and runners are not the only population that wears shoes. In fact I have had very positive interactions with folks in shoes. With a little negative twisted in which is usually very limited in store. I remember you were the one that loves your dharmas Adam. Maybe your the one with the holier than thou attitude, but don't include all of us with that label. Just speak for yourself.

try 4 to post in this

try 4 to post in this thread.. IE keeps deciding there is something wrong and closing the window... Anyway if this doesn't go- gonna send TJ a message.

I have never felt comfortable in shoes.. I go in bare/stocking clad feet whenever possible. I use Naot shoes with cork insoles for work (hospital- though I have been debating getting some sort of minimalist footwear and seeing they will accept them...), and I have a pair of fleece boots for MI winters and snowblowing and tromping through the snow.

Amie

Understood, Cat.  It's

Understood, Cat. It's happening on my end too. What's good is that at least the site accepts your post after you hit Save, but IE craps out after that.

I understand why people say they hate shoes. Shoes are what destroyed my feet. Sure it was my bad decisions as to what I put on my feet, but when it comes to athletic shoes, I was doing what the medical and running shoe industries recommend and what society dictates. My second podiatrist wears Brooks Beasts after all. You see a doctor of the foot wearing something like that, you think hey, now there's a good shoe to wear. We just don't know any better, but thank God we're learning.

At the same time, I can appreciate that there are "some" types of shoes that may be good for us under certain cicumstances. I see the benefits in some types of shoes, but most of them are crap. As long as they are a healthy choice, I have no problem with them personally. For all other shoes, I hate them. Now if the next guy is running in a pair of Brooks Beast and loving life, not getting injured, then who am I to argue with him about what is good for him?

With that said, I remind myself constantly to not come across as a narrow-minded barefoot purist, since I am not, although some narrow-minded shod purists see me that way. ;-)

True TJ.  I won't be the

True TJ. I won't be the crazy who says no one should wear shoes as with DH's health issues- shoes make his life much easier. he needs the cushioning to avoid the pain of fractures from his brittle bones.

Humboldt-explorer wrote:Then

Humboldt-explorer said:
Then I guess I'm shallow in Adam G world. Very well I can handle that. I've never had any problem with shod runners, and runners are not the only population that wears shoes. In fact I have had very positive interactions with folks in shoes. With a little negative twisted in which is usually very limited in store. I remember you were the one that loves your dharmas Adam. Maybe your the one with the holier than thou attitude, but don't include all of us with that label. Just speak for yourself.

I am far from holier than thou. I'm just saying keep an open mind about shoes. I checked out your blog and you just started going barfoot in 2010, so I understand your excitement, by your posts I thought you were a long time barefooter. I have been doing the barefoot thing for about 30 years, but only have been running barefoot for 2 years, out of my 16 years of shod running. It's all good. Oh, and i love the dharmas! I have to wear something at work.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon