Converting 4mm heel pitch to zero drop

badtoes

Barefooters
Dec 7, 2012
Wisconsin
Has anyone converted a shoe that has a 4 mm heel pitch to zero drop by adding insole material to the front of the shoe or some other method?
I bought a pair of New Balance MT10LR for Winter thinking that only 4 mm heel drop would be okay but my feet said otherwise. I bought some insole material from a shoe repair shop that is 4 mm but it is pretty stiff, added it just to the front part to try and balance out the shoe but it was not comfortable. I'm either thinking about adding a slightly cushioned softer flexible insole up front or something tapered like a slight heel lift.

Reactions: Sid
If they are not fixable my plans are to wear them just for those winter holiday events which require wearing dress pants and lots of sitting where sandals or mesh sneakers look out of place here in the frozen tundra. I plan to try the new winter dressy Lemings when they are available next year then sell the 4 mm shoes on ebay along with 2 pairs of nasty $ Dansko clogs that are gathering dust. Tried a pair of dressy Vivobarefoots but were way too small in the toebox so had to send them back.

Adding moleskin or something to take up 4mm in the forefoot area will greatly impact the amount of volume available for foot splay. Second, any material you add will likely compress and lose the desired effect under repeated running (I know this from using molefoam and other products to support a short first metatarsal). The only real way to zero the shoes will be to remove the 4mm from the heel area. Search around the web to see how someone may have done so. You may find a more realistic solution.

There is a video showing Anton Krupicka shaving down a pair of NB trail shoes down at the heels. I know it can be done, he uses them for his training shoes. The movie was Indulgence detailing the Western States Race a few years back. Not sure if you want to go that far, could be a option for you though, video is below

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon