Cadence Candor: "Look ma, no gears!"

Jason,

""""A brief history of B&A: He first appeared on the RW forum a few years ago. He was an arrogant douche that repeatedly told us we were wrong, explained why Pose was better, then shamelessly peddled his coaching services."""

I understand this might be how you think things went but I will stand by your claims being very inaccurate. I still think you are a great interweb friend and hope one day you will come to my home and your bare soles will touch my floors :)
It might behoove you to consider Jason's interpretation of events more seriously. You might benefit. I don't know Jason personally, but he seems to be a pretty good judge of character and has a pretty good bullshit detector, as one would expect from a fellow commie-libertarian.

Reactions: Lomad
Lee,

I have heard what he has said many times. I still say it is false. It is unfortunate that he sees it that way as now I am unable to offer any of my experience in that forum. I actually would like to be there to help and share ideas. Forums are not the place I go to for specifically finding people to work with. It does occasionally happen that someone would like for me to work with them one to one and that has happened but it is indirectly happening not based on me peddling pushing my service.

BTW, if you didn't already know Jason has a book and performs clinics regularly to my knowledge. Very few people seem to take issue with his marketing of his services but seem to have no problem throwing out speculations/opinions that I have or am peddling in some way...

Lee, I have something to add regarding cadence. When I first heard about the 180 thing I had no idea what I was running at. I thought it was pretty dang slow for a cadence actually so I just tried to speed it up a little. This killed me. I hurt and ached when trying to speed up my cadence. I then decided to try a metronome and found I naturally was between 170-180 and me speeding it up on the earlier runs was a ridiculously fast cadence. I've since quit worrying about my cadence when running and I don't seem to have any issues resulting from cadence. Then again, I'm not an elite runner either...

In what if any ways do you guys go about practing the elements of posture and cadence besides running. I do hopping exercises on two feet and one. As well as exaggerated two foot and one foot pulls up to my hips. The later are quite difficult but I think they are very valuable if mastered.

Lee,

I have heard what he has said many times. I still say it is false. It is unfortunate that he sees it that way as now I am unable to offer any of my experience in that forum. I actually would like to be there to help and share ideas. Forums are not the place I go to for specifically finding people to work with. It does occasionally happen that someone would like for me to work with them one to one and that has happened but it is indirectly happening not based on me peddling pushing my service.

How exactly did you get banned? You were a dick when you first started posting there, but I thought you got far better quickly. While your methods can sometimes be construed as overly confrontational, I find the advice and resulting dialogue to be invaluable.

And I rarely advertise my services. For example, few people know I'm not only a barefoot coach, but also a sex coach. Ladies, feel free to send me your vids. I'll analyze your form. ;)

That was a joke, BTW.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Lee, I have something to add regarding cadence. When I first heard about the 180 thing I had no idea what I was running at. I thought it was pretty dang slow for a cadence actually so I just tried to speed it up a little. This killed me. I hurt and ached when trying to speed up my cadence. I then decided to try a metronome and found I naturally was between 170-180 and me speeding it up on the earlier runs was a ridiculously fast cadence. I've since quit worrying about my cadence when running and I don't seem to have any issues resulting from cadence. Then again, I'm not an elite runner either...
Nick, that's good to hear. I think once again we're coming to the same conclusion, just as we did about how
running at a certain pace
helps form fall into place.
It just feels odd to mess with cadence. I'm pretty sure my body is doing a pretty good job of calibrating/optimizing stride rate and length on its own. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for the majority of people. So really it just comes down to posture, as Dama & Dutchie confirm, provided someone has barefooted enough to get a feel for good running form, especially landing and avoiding abrasions, cuz almost everyone agrees BFR's the fastest, easiest way of achieving good form, although full time barefoot running isn't for everyone, obviously, for a variety of reasons.

Jason,

I just notice your avatar status of " super moderator" awesome lol.... :)
Jason became a super moderator after practicing excessive moderation in his commentary on running form.
Did anyone get the 'behoove' pun?
Are we all back to being friends again now that we're talking about balls and position and not rate or length, and can all agree on the importance of posture?

When we were meeting with Merrell to decide how to teach better form, we decided to distill it down to the most basic elements. Basically we came to the same conclusion BL is coming to: running form is complicated, there's a lot of individual differences, and the easiest way to teach is to give a few general cues and let people discover their own "best form."

The result? The ABC's of Bareform.

A= Athletic posture,
B= Balanced foot landing, referring to foot position relative to the body (foot under knee) and how the foot lands on the ground (pancake flat),
C= Cadence. This one really just reiterates the first part of "B", but provides another objective cue to prevent excessive overstriding. We use 180 as a starting point, then explain the peak metabolic efficiency thing.

We've had A LOT of success using the method. It's easy to understand, easy to implement, and easy to share with others.

Hey Jason, just out of curiosity, since you mentioned your Merrell clinics, are you still coming to REI in Portland, OR, or did that already happen and I missed it? I don't know where to look for that info so I just have to ask you about it on here I guess, not trying to promote you in anyway or sense.