Bought a GPS

Well, for me gps is useful for tracking pace and distance and it also brings bit of safety aspect, since it can show me way home if I happen to get lost in forest.. Knowing this, I don't need to hesistate if there's interesting looking path to explore or when running in darkness at night. It's also a lot easier to have personal records on different distances and try to improve them spontantenously.. When running fast, it's interesting to know how fast and when running far it's nice to know how far. And it gives motivation to go a bit farther.

Maybe I should have waited. I saw the 410 discounted at Costco (online) for $159. I'm not interested in the hr yet, but having a few alerts would be nice and the elevation change is a nice feature.

I'm not sure if the newer garmins are improved over my 205 but the elevation is very innacurate on mine. On a flat rail trail of 13 miles mine often says I changed 1,000'. Just wanted to warn you on that one, dont put much faith into the elevation aspect of the gps.

Well, for me gps is useful for tracking pace and distance and it also brings bit of safety aspect, since it can show me way home if I happen to get lost in forest.. Knowing this, I don't need to hesistate if there's interesting looking path to explore or when running in darkness at night. It's also a lot easier to have personal records on different distances and try to improve them spontantenously.. When running fast, it's interesting to know how fast and when running far it's nice to know how far. And it gives motivation to go a bit farther.
Yeah I have used mine for a multitude of things, including hiking, kayaking, cross country skiing and hunting. None of which I am tracking 'performance' but just to direct myself to a waypoint, or be able to get myself back to start if I get lost. Entering waypoints is a pain on mine, wish I could do it through the computer instead of using the two button or whatever you call it entry method. Heck I couldnt even really figure out the proper way to enter a point ahead of time... I had to just mark the current location I was at, then go in an edit it to match the coordinates of where I want. But it captures the elevation data at the current spot and not the ones at the coordinates, not that I really care about that. There are much better gps out there for hiking/navigation but I use what I got, and for the most part it suffices.

This is a long shot but has anyone ever tried to get software that will interface to garmin on Linux? I've switched my desktop over to linux, and my remaining laptop with windows is barely functioning.

I'm not sure if the newer garmins are improved over my 205 but the elevation is very innacurate on mine. On a flat rail trail of 13 miles mine often says I changed 1,000'. Just wanted to warn you on that one, dont put much faith into the elevation aspect of the gps.

Thanks for the tip. It will be a while before I upgrade my basic one. Maybe elevation recording will improve in the meantime. If I wait long enough, one will come out that will do the running for you. I was in the Apple store getting my wife's I-pad replaced and the guy couldn't get the box open. I asked him "What? You don't have an app for that?"

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
This is a long shot but has anyone ever tried to get software that will interface to garmin on Linux? I've switched my desktop over to linux, and my remaining laptop with windows is barely functioning.
I've been using the Ubuntu family of Linux for several years. I've found it immensely helpful to keep a copy of Windows as a virtual machine, since some applications just aren't available on Linux, or aren't fully functional on Linux. I use VirtualBox, as it's easy to use and free to install. You will need a Windows install CD. I still use Windows XP, as it's not as much of a resource hog as the more recent versions of Windows.

There is garmintools for linux, but I'm not sure how well it works. It doesn't look like it's being updated anymore.

As far as being overwhelmed with the data from the GPS watch, I'll just occasionally glance at my Nike watch to check pace, time, etc. I like having data to look at later to compare trends and such. Unfortunately, the Nike watch doesn't let one access the raw data, but instead displays everything in pretty graphs on their website. That's fine, but I want to break it down further and need the raw data to do that, so I've ordered a refurbed 305. Stupid Nike...

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thanks for the info Sid, I'll look into that one. I was really trying to avoid having to even run a virtual windows, but guess its no big deal (well except I dont have any newer than Win2000 and dont really want to buy one). So far im happy to report that I've been able to do pretty much everything I've needed in Ubuntu except netflix, and was just about to give up and get windows, until about a week ago I finally found someone who got netflix to run in Ubuntu and did the same.

Reactions: Sid
Hey Rick, do you know if you are able to replace the batteries in that Timex? I have the Garmin FR 305 and have had it maybe a year and a half to two years and the battery is starting to crap out already. I can barely get one to two 5 mile runs in now on it without it dying and apparently you cannot just purchase a new battery. Kinda wishing I had kept one of the other brands that I had just because of not being able to replace the batteries on Garmin. Kind of frustrating when you pay a pretty penny for the Garmin.

I have the Garmin FR 305 and have had it maybe a year and a half to two years and the battery is starting to crap out already. I can barely get one to two 5 mile runs in now on it without it dying and apparently you cannot just purchase a new battery. Kinda wishing I had kept one of the other brands that I had just because of not being able to replace the batteries on Garmin. Kind of frustrating when you pay a pretty penny for the Garmin.
Looks like there are people who offer repair services.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/0/i.html/?_nkw=garmin 305 repair

Some try to fix it on their own.
www.jimandkatrin.com/CodeBlog/post/Forerunner-305-Battery-Replacement.aspx

That sux Nick. I've had my 205 since they first hit the market, maybe 6-8 years ago? My battery still lasts a couple weeks of running (40-50 miles maybe?). I'm sure it was far easier and cheaper for them to make the watch waterproof by having a sealed internal battery. When you start making openings, you increase the chance of a waterproof failure. But then your screwed when the battery dies.

Reactions: NickW
Hey Rick, do you know if you are able to replace the batteries in that Timex? I have the Garmin FR 305 and have had it maybe a year and a half to two years and the battery is starting to crap out already. I can barely get one to two 5 mile runs in now on it without it dying and apparently you cannot just purchase a new battery. Kinda wishing I had kept one of the other brands that I had just because of not being able to replace the batteries on Garmin. Kind of frustrating when you pay a pretty penny for the Garmin.

I'm not sure Nick. I still have a lot of research to do on this watch. I suppose if it gets to the point of the battery not holding a charge, I will be ready for an upgrade anyway. I came across this review that has a lot of info (maybe too much). http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/03/99-timex-marathon-gps-in-depth-review.html

Looks like Sid came up with some good info to get your garmin up and running again.

I'm not sure Nick. I still have a lot of research to do on this watch. I suppose if it gets to the point of the battery not holding a charge, I will be ready for an upgrade anyway. I came across this review that has a lot of info (maybe too much). http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/03/99-timex-marathon-gps-in-depth-review.html

Looks like Sid came up with some good info to get your garmin up and running again.
Ya, I have a local watch place who I am going to check out and see if it's something they can do. Not to keen on sending my Garmin off somewhere. Going to wait and just get through Christmas and then maybe look at another brand, since I'm not really needing the heart rate part of it. It holds a charge for two short runs for me so it's still useable. I also saw something online that I am going to try. Apparently there is a reboot that somehow helps to give the battery new life. My Garmin isn't swelling from a bad battery yet so I am going to try to get as much out of it as I can. Still irritated that it's dying so fast though. I guess from what I was reading online it's pretty common for the batteries on the Garmin FR 305 to start dying around 1 1/2-2 yrs.

I have the Garmin FR 305 and have had it maybe a year and a half to two years and the battery is starting to crap out already. I can barely get one to two 5 mile runs in now on it without it dying and apparently you cannot just purchase a new battery.

Hi Nick,
Normally there is a 2 year warranty on the Garmins, so if the battery is already dying before the two years are over you should be able to give it back, have it exchanged or refunded if the model doesn't exist any more.

Reactions: NickW
Received the refurbished 305 that I bought. It looks like it's in good shape. I appreciate the discussion and recommendations, and I've read that some of the problems with the 305 are due to corrosion of the contacts and speaker from sweat. Fortunately, I bought a box of plastic medical tape a few years ago. I'm going to cover up the speaker holes and contacts with tape before each run. Hopefully that will save me some grief down the road. A bit tired after this past week, but I need to test out the Garmin!

Reactions: Hobbit and Bare Lee
Thanks for the info Sid, I'll look into that one. I was really trying to avoid having to even run a virtual windows, but guess its no big deal (well except I dont have any newer than Win2000 and dont really want to buy one).
I couldn't get my 305 to work in Windows XP running under VirtualBox under Ubuntu. My Nike watch and fuelband will sync. However, my fuelband won't do firmware updates in VirtualBox, and I have to use my Windows computer. So, I'm doing the same thing to upload my 305 data to Garmin Connect. Hopefully you'll have better luck, maybe using GarminTools in linux?

Edit: Looks like these folks were able to get the 205 to sync using Linux. Good luck!

I don't wanna grow up, no siree.