B.P.R.

Sid, no one is suggesting you go from no puddling to Jen's varsity level puddle jumping. That, as you have learned, can lead to TMTS injuries such as frogonitis and stress staining.
You have to start slow.
First, dip your toe while standing still, into a spoonful of water, maintaining exactly 180 cadence, for 1 minute every other day.
When you can do that 3 times per week with no side effects, begin dipping your toe and forefoot. Stop the minute you feel pain.
Only after you have reached this stage comfortably should you even think about walking bf on damp pavement.

Isn't Jason going to start the Puddle Running University site? Much needed to avoid such trauma.

:=)
Do one's feet still get wet if one is wearing barefoot shoes?

for some reason I read that as Chi poodle jumping! Hahahaha!
When beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle
and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle...
...they call this a tweetle beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle.

AND...

When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bottle paddle battle.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
Sid, no one is suggesting you go from no puddling to Jen's varsity level puddle jumping. That, as you have learned, can lead to TMTS injuries such as frogonitis and stress staining. You have to start slow.
Okay, okay. You've all convinced me that this is worth a go. Next time it rains, I'm all over it.

I've got all the gear anyway. A old pair of overshoes so my nice, white minshoes don't get wet and dirty. I have a pair of Asics Gelanots rain pants that I've had for years just waiting for the right occasion. Finally, my new rain jacket with hoodie. I even have a pair of old goggles from my college chemistry days. BPR, oh yeah I' m ready, bring it on!

Reactions: scedastic
Okay, okay. You've all convinced me that this is worth a go. Next time it rains, I'm all over it.

I've got all the gear anyway. A old pair of overshoes so my nice, white minshoes don't get wet and dirty. I have a pair of Asics Gelanots rain pants that I've had for years just waiting for the right occasion. Finally, my new rain jacket with hoodie. I even have a pair of old goggles from my college chemistry days. BPR, oh yeah I' m ready, bring it on!
Nice Sid, you are well on your way. :)

Reactions: Sid
I just had the BEST puddle run (B.P.R.) of my LIFE!!!

I was sure B.P.R. was going to mean Big Pimpin' Running. You can imagine my disappointment that this turned out to be about puddles, not me.

Dave

:eek:! I do prefer puddle jumping in summer, when I'm wearing less, also because a)I'm running in the dark now, which makes puddle depth hard to judge & b)my usual puddle of choice is the Irish Sea, which is a bit nippy at this time of year.

Reactions: scedastic and Sid
I guess I must be lucky to run so hot, I don't need all that rain gear to run in the rain. I like the less is better approach. Less to get in the way of my enjoyment. :D
You are not alone Nick :)
I learned from Mike the best way to run on a muddy trail in a heavy downpour is half naked in shorts only (and BF of course). Human skin is the best rain gear (99% waterproof) ;)
http://www.dailymile.com/people/daniel_martinek/entries/19486963

I don't need gear to run in the rain, but do wear full length tights, ultra light weight jacket with sleeves, gloves & a buff when it's cold & don't actively opt for getting soaked to the skin, other than by the rain. When it's warmer I try to avoid water above mid thigh level, though will go a bit deeper if there's no current. Muddy trails sound fun - I should seek some out (may wait 'til spring).

CS, They're running in the balmy NW USA, where it's much warme this time of year than I think one would find anywhere in the UK. You're doing well not to be spending the dark of the winter running on one of those indoor torture devices, teh treadmill. (Ughhhh!)

B. Lee, No, sir, No, sir! I won't slow , sir!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I dunno JT, it's 46degF at 5pm, so not overly warm. It feels much colder than the 46 deg F of a month ago though. I think it's just the damp getting to us. I get hot really easy though. A lot of folks here dress as if they were running mid winter in Minnesota or something, parka, snow cap, thick gloves, insulated tights. I don't understand it. I can run down to the low 30's with rain in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. I may add gloves if needed.

I dunno JT, it's 46degF at 5pm, so not overly warm. It feels much colder than the 46 deg F of a month ago though. I think it's just the damp getting to us. I get hot really easy though. A lot of folks here dress as if they were running mid winter in Minnesota or something, parka, snow cap, thick gloves, insulated tights. I don't understand it. I can run down to the low 30's with rain in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. I may add gloves if needed.
As JT said - balmy! Generally just below freezing here at running time. With you on not getting the thick layers thing though, my winter kit is all very thin, I'll only start considering adding a hat at around -10C. I'm sometimes shivering for up to three minutes at the start, can live with that.

46degF was our high for the day, that's why I mentioned the time, but yes compared to some folks it is pretty warm. It's nothing like those warm southerners though. I think the wind and rain combo is what is making the 46degF of lately feel much colder than the 46degF of a month ago, when it was just the temp and rain. I still run in minimal clothing. I thought I had heard at one time that you UK folks had weather similar to us here in the Pacific Northwest of the US?

NO talking about the weather on my thread!!! Hijack it ANY other way you want - but, NO WEATHER TALK!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7