All this talk about winter running has me thinking about just NOT RUNNING

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
I made a comment to this effect in the last iteration of a post on winter running, which we seem to get every couple of weeks around here. People are so concerned about what to wear running this winter in an effort to keep running to the same degree as we have been this spring and summer. One thing I think people should consider is just taking a break.

I went to see Christopher McDougall this Wednesday for a barefoot run and presentation. One comment that really struck me was his take on winter barefoot running. A guy asked if he had any suggestions for winter running or shoes for winter running. Instead of responding with what I typically hear around here, "I wear VFFs with socks" or other such things, he said that maybe we need to just accept the fact that we as humans can't go out an conquer the world regardless of the circumstances. In Minnesota especially, there are going to be days when running outside is stupid, much less running barefoot. So he suggested NOT RUNNING (shocking...I know)!

I completely agree with his comment. There's nothing wrong with staying indoors for a work out, or winding down one's running and doing something else. I never hear much talk about concepts like periodization in running forums. But the concept of "winding down", resting, or doing another type of fitness activity during various times of the year is an important concept in areas like strength training. I had been taking whole seasons off when I did a lot of bodybuilding in college and law school, and considered it completely normal.

Personally, I plan to not run much more than once or twice a week (probably not outside all that much) and use the winter to ramp up my Crossfit and get some good strength training in. I enjoy weight lifting, but it's hard to be cooped up in a gym when it's so nice outside. I doubt I'll have that issue when it's -10 with 5 feet of snow.

Any other thoughts on the issue?

I'm looking forward to

I'm looking forward to running in the cold. It's the time of year that helps lessen the pain in my feet from the neuromas. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do this where you live, so I am thankful for the climate I live in down here.

Not a bad idea, especially in

Not a bad idea, especially in Minnesota. In New Mexico the weather hardly calls for a change of activites, though I might consider dedicating more of my time to swimming during febuary and march just to avoid the dreaded wind. (The wind starts up in Febuary and doesn't end till mid-April). I figure since I ran through winter last year without a shirt on half the time, and without a real need for a shirt after I warmed up, that I'll probably be fine without shoes on. I'll just have to make sure to actually warm up before I go outside, instead of freezing my butt of for the first mile. Cardio fitness requires more constant attention than strength does, so its easier to take a break from body building, but I agree that there are many ways to stay in shape besides running.

I think you all are babies, I

I think you all are babies, I run all winter long here, hehe but seriously you are right. Summers here are not very much fun to run in, so I do more of other things.

I think the one problem with periodization is there is a general building up period after you come back from time off. If you are a serious racer this may limit gains that could be made with year round training.

One of the issues I have been dealing with recently with crossfit is the expanse of excercises it encompasses. Maybe they figure that with that kind of variety it is harder to get burnt out, but to me it is frustrating to find a balance you can be happy with.

I hear you on the Crossfit

I hear you on the Crossfit issue Abide. They've been getting a little too creative with exercises for my liking. I don't know where I'm going to find a 10 foot rope to climb.

I'll just be happy to get back to Crossfit most every day for a while. When I do it once or twice a week like I've been doing, sometimes I feel like I'm neglecting some muscles. I always end up doing WODs that are all pullups or something.

Abide, you have it even

Abide, you have it even easier than I do! Hardly fair criticising anyone else, unless they live in like Florida or Hawaii. I at least have elevation to deal with, you got nothing! haha. And in summer you just need to run in the evening and early morning. This summer I was seriously considering becoming nocturnal to avoid the heat, haha.

Saypay -- I'm considering

Saypay -- I'm considering taking the months and January and February off completely in 2011. I got burned in this past year by running too much in the Winter, and I ended up with a foot injury that affected my running quite a bit this year. And also, I've noticed that my form does begin to deteriorate after a couple months of running in aquasocks, so I think that taking a two month break might not be such a bad idea.

Maybe a little bit of marching in a bucket of gravel to keep my foot in decent shape.

SP you can always make

SP you can always make yourself a rope from home depot and hang it form a tree. I made one a while back and it works great. They do have a bias to pull-ups and thrusters...sigh.

Yeah you are right Danjo I can run here year round but there is a period there where it is never cooler than 90, and that just kills my pace. But I'm really not complaining as just being a smartass. I think Phoenix is one of the best places for a runner to live.

Matt wrote:Maybe a little

Matt said:
Maybe a little bit of marching in a bucket of gravel to keep my foot in decent shape.

I can just imagine what the wife will say when she comes downstairs and sees me stepping around in a bucket of gravel. On the other hand...probably nothing since she thinks I lost touch with reality a long time ago.

SP - take up cross country

SP - take up cross country skiing man.

It's a heck of a lot of fun and one hell of a workout too.

Also, if you get really good, you can start wearing one of those fancy one piece spandex racing suits too. :D

S. Pimp.

Ah yeah, I forgot that it

Ah yeah, I forgot that it doesn't cool down like AT ALL in pheonix. I think its more humid there or something, somehow. Or maybe its just the fact that I'm used to high desert, where it gets up to 100 during the day and then drops into the 60's at night. Gotta love that temperature difference, except during winter when I can't go running unless the sun is out.

Im with Abide, I run outside

Im with Abide, I run outside all year. Winter running is actually fun, it's just getting the guts and the motivation to get out the door. Once I am out, everything is fine.

Mcdougall seems like the lazy type of runner, which is fine, so him taking winter off is not surprising at all.

Winter is the best time to

Winter is the best time to run in the Pacific Northwest, as long as you're not way way up in the mountains. It's cool and rainy, you've got the park to yourself, it's your own private world.

But I can see one time when it is really important to take a break for weeks or months: if you're not improving and it's frustrating you. This happened to me several times in martial arts, and I took many months off, and each time I came back I was ready to learn again. Fitness goes away pretty quickly but you can get it back fairly quickly too. But the skills of using your body... sometimes they actually seem to improve when you give your body a break.

I am really big on

I am really big on periodization but rarely get to apply since I usually hit an injury first :). I spent 4 days in Madison in close to zero temps year before last - honestly, running was the only way to stay warm outside! I love winter running.

From what I understand about

From what I understand about McDougall, he is a fairly new barefoot runner with less than one (maybe two) winter of barefoot running behind him. Didn't he start running barefoot AFTER his book was released?

Barefoot TJ wrote:From what

Barefoot TJ said:
From what I understand about McDougall, he is a fairly new barefoot runner with less than one (maybe two) winter of barefoot running behind him. Didn't he start running barefoot AFTER his book was released?

Yes you are correct, he just started running barefoot not long ago. I got to hear him speak a few months ago, and he admitted he was a big coach potatoe, and barely did any type of excecise. He said he was the biggest hypocrite because he wrote for men's health, outsider. sports illustrated, and here he was over weight doing nothing. After "Born to Run" is when he started to really get into running. Good for him though. He seems like a really chilled dude, and the way he talks about running I think he can either take it or leave it.

Interesting thought SP, then

Interesting thought SP, then how are you planning on running the Lace up Against Breast Cancer Half with me the beginning of Feb if you aren't running??! Seriously though, this is a thought. Esp for me now that I'm teaching so much Zumba I can barely fit in any runs, without feeling like my body is going to fall apart or I'll end up home having lost a limb somewhere along my run. I may cut my run days back to 1-2 days a week (of a mid distance 6-8mi) and a longer distance (10-14mi) and with that alone and hours upon hours of other cardio I get in a week, I can manage the half in Feb. I'm sure.

I'm NOT looking forward to putting shoes on my feet to run though, so I may have to hit up the monotony of an indoor track quite a bit (thank goodness for audio books).

Even the pros have an

Even the pros have an offseason folks. I know I did back in my day and my focus shifted to lifting and building strength more than running. After track season they all take time off. Usually a few weeks to a month or so and then get back after it working on drills and strength. Then as the season approaches you get the legs moving again and build up. Watch track meets early in the season and most of them will say something like this after a race "I feel good, my training is coming along really well, I took some time off after to last season to work on some things so I'm really just tuning up at this point and feeling like I'll be running my best times by the championships...etc" The point is that the season is part of the building process instead of the all out competition phase we as casual runners make it.

Nothing wrong with a off

Nothing wrong with a off season of barefoot running outside. Personally, I will stay in and use my treadmill that none of you like lol. The way I look at it, I am still running and working my feet muscles, plus I will still run outside a little too. I have not been as active this summer as I wanted to be though. I've been working 76 to 84 hrs a week at work and that has taken away from my running a bit. I am a little disappointed that I had to work so much and not getting to run as often as I would have liked, plus school on top of all that too. Maybe next summer won't be so bad, but it's better than being laid off so I can't complain there. Has to pay da bills ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7