A real discussion or more of the same???

deviantrunner

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Holly Springs, NC
This link came across my desktop this morning... http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/the-great-shoe-flap-arrives-in-boston-is-barefoot-running-better-1541986.htm

It doesn't contain much information, but it has caused me to ponder what will result from this meeting of the minds. How much conjecture will cloud the discussion? Will any new study results be introduced? OR... will this be more of the same... "go slow..."

"...an increase in metatarsal stress fractures... blah... blah..."

"...tendonitis..."

"...lack of arch support... leading to injury..."

"...warts... worms... broken glass..."

What do you think???

Good stuff, DR!  Thanks for

Good stuff, DR! Thanks for sharing!

From the article: Products marketed to devotees now reportedly sell more than five times what they did two years ago .

That's SUCCESS!

That 1,000 podiatrists are converging to speak about barefoot running and barefoot health is HUGE! This is progress, whether they come out for or against (majority speaking), just putting it on the table is a victory for us.

Yes, there will be detractors, and yes, there will be supporters. BUT THEY ARE TALKING! That's a first "barefoot" step in the right direction.

The podiatrists will focus on the facts and dispelling myths surrounding barefoot running with the help of images, video footage, and minimalist shoe demonstrations. Dr. Jenkins described the presentation as an opportunity to sift through the Internet hype and help those interested in running barefoot avoid injury. ... "Our presentation is neutral from a scientific approach and aims to address all of the important angles."

I hope this includes making a definite distinction between barefoot running and minimalist running.

Although many consider barefoot running a "craze," Dr. Langer believes it has longevity.

"I don't see barefoot running as a fad. I think it's here to stay," said Dr. Langer, who uses minimalist footwear as part of his own training program. "This presentation is an opportunity for us to clarify all of the information out there. Science is kind of lagging behind."

I LIKE THIS GUY!

They will also have, on the side, several hands-on surgical workshops for members.

YIKES!

Even among podiatrists and

Even among podiatrists and orthopedists there is probably a ton of misinformation. I like get togethers like these that aim to clear the air a bit, present the facts, provide evidence; and even if a doc didn't attend, they would at least have to realize some people did. No one wants to be the "flat earth" believer when everyone else in the room has sailed around the world, so they may have to move towards the middle... even if reluctantly.

John T.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon