Smooth running tips.

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Gottem? I needem.

I saw myself running in my shadow and I am not smooth. I am bumpy and awkward, and look like I am crippled. I need tips. Don't need to go fast, just smooth.

Hi Nyal,I often use my

Hi Nyal,

I often use my shadow as a kind of video of my running style. I'm usually quite happy with my form.

One tip I think I heard was that if you wear any kind of jewelery around your neck when you run, it should stay fairly still on your chest. If it is bobbing up and down the your torso is moving too much in the vertical direction rather than moving smoothly horizontal.

I have found that the only way to get smooth is total relaxation, the more relaxed you are the better your form gets. I always start off slow, give the arms and hads a loose shake.

The only thing I try to 'feel' is pulling the foot off the ground as soon as I feel the contact. The faster you can do this and get your reaction time up the lighter you will feel.

Doing the Pose drills is always a great way of getting your form right.

Neil

One word: RelaxLet your body

One word: Relax

Let your body take over and don't force yourself to run, let yourself just run like it was made to do.

One tip I think I heard was

One tip I think I heard was that if you wear any kind of jewelery around your neck when you run, it should stay fairly still on your chest. If it is bobbing up and down the your torso is moving too much in the vertical direction rather than moving smoothly horizontal.

We girls use our ponytails to gauge that. ;-)

Not this body!

Not this body!

And not these body parts! 

And not these body parts! Trust me! Nothing to see here. Move along, move along. ;-)

Or horror run, depending on

Or horror run, depending on who you are looking at. My eyes! My eyes!

Ken Bob say:  bend your

Ken Bob say: bend your knees.

Someone else, who I forget now, say: keep your head level.

Confucious say: It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.

Gkikas wrote:Ken Bob say:

Gkikas said:
Ken Bob say: bend your knees.

Someone else, who I forget now, say: keep your head level.

Confucious say: It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.

I think it's that Doc guy who runs in the tie died shirt out of MD or VA? KB also says to run tall...could be similar to head level...

Confucious is the man, though!

-Jonny

You're talking about Dr. Mark

You're talking about Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, member of the BRS, and soon to be one of the three docs in our Ask the Docs forum. Danny Dryer of CHI Running says keep your head level, so does KB, but I think that's one of the basic recommendations for good form.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon