Shoe Charities Discussion and Resources

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Seems like as good a forum section as any!

Okay, not everyone jump in at

Okay, not everyone jump in at once! Geez. Slow down a little.

I moved the posts from the

I moved the posts from the IBRD thread here, since they fit better here and this will get the IBRD thread back on topic. I hope you all don't mind.

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 3:42 PM GMT
ashley
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 10/06/201110:16 PM GMTPosts: 29Groups: Louisiana ChapterIP: 173.134.21.127
And I know this is kind of against the barefoot idea, but what if we had people come in their old shoes and put them in a box at the start of the race to give to people in need.... that would be cool.This could be fun, I just need some guidance and I will try to do this.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 4:34 PM GMT#10 Barefoot TJ
user-online.png
OnlineJoined: 03/05/201010:16 PM GMTPosts: 9330Groups: Chapter Presidents Group, Georgia Chapter, International ChapterIP: 72.15.84.57

We'd love for you to head something up, or at least help the current chapter president get something going in LA. Did you recently turn 18, Ash?

For anyone who wants to collect shoes at an event, please contact Soles4Souls at http://www.soles4souls.org/ . The will give you a collection barrel and tell you how to go about this. Or, if that incurs expense on your end, just take them to Goodwill.

(As far as people needing or not needing shoes, I'm still undecided about this topic, so I will keep my opinion to myself.)

Running Nike Free 0.0

BRS_Platinum_Medal_Sig.png

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 4:54 PM GMT#11 ashley
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 10/06/201110:16 PM GMTPosts: 29Groups: Louisiana ChapterIP: 173.134.21.127
I recently turned 30! I have an 8 year old and a 7 year old. I know my lingo can make me sound young via text, just consider me young at heart. I looked at souls4shoes and it is very far away. I found hugs louisiana though (help us give shoes) People still need shoes for school and work I suppose. My daughter is in the running club at her school and they organize events frequently so I think I am going to hit them up for advice. I doubt there will be a lot of people, I'm hoping to squish together 30ish. I'm just not sure how getting the shirts and such works. People don't pay to race right, just for their shirt if they want one? I can't seem to find the current chapter president.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 5:39 PM GMT#12 Barefoot TJ
user-online.png
OnlineJoined: 03/05/201010:16 PM GMTPosts: 9330Groups: Chapter Presidents Group, Georgia Chapter, International ChapterIP: 72.15.84.57

My bad. My apologies. I could have sworn you were the one who contacted us about setting up a chapter in your area.

Did you click on the Chapter President's email and/or PM icon from within his profile to try to contact him that way?

Running Nike Free 0.0

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 10:15 PM GMT#16 Longboard
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 05/13/201009:57 PM GMTPosts: 1096Groups: Michigan ChapterIP: 72.115.45.178 Barefoot TJ wrote:

(As far as people needing or not needing shoes, I'm still undecided about this topic, so I will keep my opinion to myself.)

TJ, for the record what Ashley actually said was:

" And I know this is kind of against the barefoot idea, but what if we had people come in their old shoes and put them in a box at the start of the race to give to people in need.... that would be cool."

I'm guessing she was thinking about people in need of some fungi, you know, like they had some other condition that could only be cured by exposure to fungus, and that other people's used shoes could maybe cure them.

Seriously though, no matter what one thinks of shoe charity efforts I believe we should as a group distance ourselves from them.

It's very hard to make the "barefoo
t is better" case while donating new or used shoes to the barefoot even when their particular situation makes them useful as tools.

The last thing we want to do is give the appearance that we are running barefoot as a sacrifice of some sort in an effort to shoe the unshod.

Sun, 01/29/2012 - 10:23 PM GMT#17 Barefoot TJ
user-online.png

Well, if it was requested that people wash the shoes before donation, like in a machine, and they only took in minshoes, that would be better.

Goodwill does serve a need in communities where the poor have a hard time with making ends meet, and knowing that public schools in our country do not permit children to attend barefoot, they will have to have something on their feet. Why not make it something healthy?

No. It's not our fight. It's not our cause to put people in shoes. It's our cause to keep people out of shoes. We do, however, support healthy footwear choices when there is a need or a requirement. That is our stance as basically stated in our About section.

Running Nike Free 0.0

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 7:02 PM GMT#18 ashley
user-offline.png
Oh ok. Obviously you have a very strong opinion on this. I wasnt trying to go against any standards. I just thought that whether we like it or not shoes are still often a social requirement. If we could convince those who can to take their shoes off to donate them what harm would it be to help those who require shoes ( for work and such) and can't afford them. While I do believe strongly in the barefoot cause I don't believe in allowing any beleif preventing me from helping others. I will not ask others to donate shoes at this event as I'm sure it will be associated with brs. I must say I am a little disappoint
wink.png
ed though I do understand. I think maybe some of us are still a little raw about how others may negatively veiw us as bf runners, but if these events are pulled off correctly and we are open with others about what we do and why we do it I doubt anyone will think we are sacrificing anything. Again though I understand and will keep any future attepts to be charitable to myself.

P.s. this sounds angry in text I just want to make sure you know I'm not.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 8:07 PM GMT#19 Longboard
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 05/13/201009:57 PM GMTPosts: 1096Groups: Michigan ChapterIP: 72.115.45.178
Ash,

Don't take my comments as representing any kind of BRS position.

My background is that of a barefoot rights activist, indeed I only took up running more than a mile at at a time a little over two years ago when I realized that it could be done barefoot.

I write letters on a fairly regular basis to restaurants, retailers, and governmental entities including schools in an effort to regain the right to be unshod when desired.

Think of me more as a barefoot advocate that has added running to his long list of barefoot hobbies than the typical BFRunner if indeed there really is such a thing.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 8:21 PM GMT#20 ashley
user-offline.png
Well in that case I do understand your enthusiasm for shoelessness. You do make a valid point though. Have you had any sucess in your efforts? Peoples tendencies to sue for ridiculous reasons probably makes it difficult for businesses to bite. My daughter has been allowed to run bf in her running club at school.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 8:46 PM GMT#21 Longboard
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 05/13/201009:57 PM GMTPosts: 1096Groups: Michigan ChapterIP: 72.115.4
Kroger, Walmart, Speedway, over a dozen county health departments, even a few individual McDonald's franchises not to mention scores of independent retailers.

I've come to bat for other BRSers in their efforts to fight their local shoe obsessed retailers, and have a perfect record so far.

The shoe charity thing is a pet peave of mine, there is a lot of documentation on just how much damage those efforts do in warm third world countries.

As for donations to the poor in our own cold weather states, it's a bit more complicated but is still based far and large on misguided concepts of fashion and decorum which in my opinion should be pointed out each time we have the urge to help.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 8:36 PM GMT#22 Ahcuah
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 03/13/201105:32 PM GMTPosts: 32Groups: NoneIP: 99.58.191.92
Those of us who are barefoot activists get pretty familiar with all sorts of myths. And the one that people sue over just about anything is another one of them. Don't forget, the purpose of news is to sell advertising, so they play up any bizarre lawsuit as much as they can. But what they don't provide is perspective over just how many lawsuits there are.

And there aren't that many. Mainly, because folks who file injury lawsuits lose. I look at lots and lots of such appeals here in Ohio, and the proportion that lose on appeal is quite high. Studies also show that such injury lawsuits are not a big problem (except that there are ones that are justified because of truly awful things that businesses do).

The ones behind the "lawsuit reform" and who highlight the silly cases to do so are the businesses who really are guilty of pretty gross negligence. They are doing it solely for their bottom line.
Mon, 01/30/2012 - 8:48 PM GMT#23 Ahcuah
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 03/13/201105:32 PM GMTPosts: 32Groups: NoneIP: 99.58.191.92
I've written pretty extensively on my blog about the idiocy of donating shoes. There are links at the end of this posting.

The bottom line is that these people do just fine without shoes. Footwear is the least of their problems. And when you give them shoes, it means that it weakens and screws up their feet so that when the shoes wear out, their bare feet are no longer conditioned to serve them properly. Even if you wash the shoes, once the put them on their feet (particularly in a warm climate), the insides again become a perfect breeding ground for various fungi. Athlete's foot is a shod disease that only exist in shod populations.

But what about parasites, and walking in poo? If they are walking in poo, that is the least of their problems (because the skin is perfectly capable of keeping out the poo). For parasites (hookworm), that also comes from poo, and if people are walking where they get it, that means that all those coliform bacteria are getting into the water they drink, causing all sorts of abdominal stress, up to and including the deadly cholera.

If you are going to donate anything, Peepoo bags probably provide the most bang for the buck, and actually help the people, as opposed to being something showy that does nothing but make the donor feel generous (and superior). Here's my blog post that mentions Peepo
o bags: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/one-day-without-shoes/

Other blog posting links (you can kind of see the subject from the URL):

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/toms-shoesbad-assumptions-2/

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/article-regarding-toms-shoes-day-without-shoes/

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/podoconiosis-2/

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/more-thoughts-one-day-without-shoes/

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/toms-shoes-she-hated-it/

http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/i-wish-these-folks-would-make-at-least-some-sense/

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 3:53 PM GMT#24 ashley
user-offline.png
When you said peepoo I imagined in my head what it might be, turns out I was right. It has a very accurate name. I'm a bleeding heart so I always try to help any way possible when given the chance. I appreciate the nudge in a more appropriate direction for this particular organization.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 4:09 PM GMT#25 Longboard
user-offline.png
OfflineJoined: 05/13/201009:57 PM GMTPosts: 1096Groups: Michigan ChapterIP: 72.115.45.178
I look at it as the same thing as giving gas masks to kids who live in an area where industrial air pollution is so bad that the schools require them for admission. Help them fix the problem rather than cover it up short term.

For cold weather places it's different. If an under-privelaged kid can't go to school because he or she does'nt have the needed protection from the cold for their feet, they probably are lacking some other things like food and health care as well, not to mention heat, electricity, and running water.

No-name brand new boots from a discounter are less expensive in the U.S. than a week's worth of food.

Shoes SOUND like a quick & simple solution to poverty , but rarely are. Years ago a poor family might be able to feed a kid but not afford to shoe them, but with today's economy things are much different.

It's time to educate the masses that bare feet are not the worst part of being poor!

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 4:51 PM GMT#28 Longboard
user-offline.png
Yeah I was aware of the hijack but got carried away.

I'm starting a new thread.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7