Running with a shoddy. Monkey see, monkey do??

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
I read an article years ago about our tendencies to mimic body language of those we like or enjoy the company of. If you are standing talking with a friend, try this. Fold your arms...they will end up folding theirs. Then unfold them and put your hands on your hips...they will do the same, before long. I found the down side of this tendency this weekend.

My wife signed us up for the McKinney Running Club, so I went to the Sat morning 6am run to see what it's all about. I talked to a couple of the runners. They said they had one guy that runs in VFFs, but I was the only BFR in the club so far. One of the guys runs my pace or a little quicker, so we decided to run together till our paths split off. He was doing 8 miles, and I'd only planned to do 5 or 6.

The fact that I was running with a shod runner, I have a lot in common with, seemed to make it difficult to keep my form "tight"(loose and on point, as it were). I attribute this to still being pretty new and our tendencies to mimic. As a result, I ran higher than I normally do, my shoulders were tight, strides were longer and my cadence was slower. I ended up with small blisters on both big toes, a deep one on the outside of my right foot and my feet got sore from bringing them down too hard. I didn't realize most of this till we'd split off. We were talking a lot cause we ended up having a lot in common. I started off paying attention to my form, then I'd be focusing on what he was saying. He had the goal to run a marathon before he turned 40 and completed it when he was 39(same age I'll be doing it), so I had lots of questions. We also both have an older daughter and younger son, though his are exactly 4yrs older than mine and we're both former soccer players.

I don't think this will happen to me again...I just didn't expect it. It sure felt a lot more like "work" than it usually does when I run with correct form!

-Jonny

Sounds like you figured it

Sounds like you figured it out. It was the talking that did you in because it distracted you. You may have been mimicking him but it could also have been a case of reverting to old habits. You have to remember that you are still learning a new way to run so it very well could be that when you took your focus off of the running and got into the conversation that your brain just went back to what is easiest and allowed the form to go.

This doesn't mean that you have to always run with precision focus or anything but you do need to check back in on it from time to time while you're out there.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon