Barefooters
Feb 16, 2012
Sudbury, MA
Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share? Parameters:

1.No "real" dairy
2.No egg yolks
3.No beef, pork, lamb, or veal
4.Easy/cheap (I'm a grad student)

Ideas that have eggs or dairy are OK, just need to be modifiable.

Homemade refried beans wrapped in corn tortillas. Lots of protein and fiber, some carbs from the tortilla, good hot or cold.

I use about 1 tbsp bacon fat, 4 cans of pinto beans, 1/2tbsp real butter (optional)

Drain the water from one of the cans, toss everything else in a pot and cook for about 15 minutes on a medium simmer. Mash up about 1/2-3/4 of the beans (in the pot) and continue cooking until you get to the desired thickness. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Not sure how readily available bacon fat is to someone who may not eat bacon. :) You could probably experiment with small quantities of smoked paprika and a little cumin to get the smokey flavor, and add the butter. I think the fat helps keep things smooth, so make sure to sub something else in if you omit the bacon fat.

get some vegetables(left-over veggies are fine too).chop an onion and some garlic.the rest of the vegetables too.heat a frying pan,tbsp(or 2)oil(sunflower,olive),let onion and garlic fry a bit add the other vegetables.stir fry for a minute or two,turn the heat down to a quarter of the previous temperature.Add a qurter gallon of tomatoe sauce(italian style,the same you would use for a pizza).Let it cook for 15-20minutes on a low temperature...as a final touch add a couple of eggs (just on top of the sauce don't stir!)let cook until the eggs are done:).You can use almost any veggies you want,paprika,courgette(zucchini),eggplant,carrot,beans(any kind you want).Yoiu can spice it any way you want,what I do is,pepper,salt,origano,cumin(just a bit),indian red paprika(carefull very hot just the tip of a knife).If you could get some baguette with that and just dig in...but you can eat it with tortilla's too,with rice and potatoes or fries.I don't like it with spaghetti or any kind of pasta.You could do the same just change the egg for chicken and let cook till the chickens' done,this is very tasty with pasta and offcourse top of with parmesano:)
this will also clear you up reall good when you're hungover(students eh...:cool:o_O)

BBQ ribs
Beer can chicken
pork chops
Hamburgers/hot dogs

Sorry, I got nothing.

Anyone got a good seafood recipe?

Get yourself a slice of salmon,paprika(red or green) carrots,red pepper(hot),leek(half a stem),onion,garlic,some pastis(for flambing the vegetables)
Slice thet vegetables up(julienne) heat some oil in a pan,add all the veggies,stir fry for a couple minutes,add pastis and hold it to a flame,flames go out on their own(don't panic:cool:) add 8.5ounce of fresh cream.Turn down the heat and let cook.Meanwhile,in another pan bake the salmon.Serve with rice or potatoes...enjoy

If you are in to grilling; grilled salmon is easy to fix. Im not a huge seafood fan but can't seem to get enough of salmon fillets on a piece of soaked cedar plank grilled on a charcoal grill. I season it with a garlic and herb spice. Usually soak the thin cedar planks submerged in water for about 4 hours. No need to flip the salmon on the plank either and no sticking to grill grate. To test for doneness, press the fish with a fork; it should break into clean flakes. The cedar plank adds a great smokey flavor. May have to grill some tonight!

forgot about that...I wouldn't make that salmon recipe with non-dairy cream.The pastis has a very particular taste.I'd have to experiment to find a good substitute for the cream.;)

You can make the same recipe without the cream but you'll have to leave the pastis out too.:)

very simply take a fillet of any fish you like, bake in the oven drizzled with a bit of olive oil and white wine, add salt and pepper. I also add shredded ginger, chilli, maybe a pinch of hot paprika depending on what fish I use, adn maybe also roast a few tomatoes with it. The trick here is timing, as you dont want to overcook it. Serve with your choice of carb and fresh stir fried or steamed veggies.

My other favourite is fresh or frozen whole sardines, gut and head them, pop under a hot grill or on a barbiw, just a bit of salt and pepper, and I serve them on my homemade wholemeal seed bread.

Take a whole mackarel, stuff the cavity with sliced lemons, samphire, shredded cabbage or other veggies, wrap in foil and bake.

I also make a mean Thai fish curry, start making it as usual with veggies, thai curry paste (I prefer yellow for this) and coconut milk, and at the end add in chunks of fish. You need a good firm fish like ling (not sure if you get that your side of the pond) and make sure you dont stir after you add it, you're basically poaching it in the sauce. Serve with jasmine rice or rice noodles.

I'm hungry now.

This works for salmon, cod and other fatty fish.

Put in a glass baking dish.
Lightly sprinkle with dill. (fresh or dry)
Place a couple slices of lemon on top
Put about 1/2 inch of white wine in the bottom.
Cover with foil and bake 20 to 30 minutes

Reactions: mandytheartist
Two of my go to healthy recipes:
Salmon with Herbs de Provence,
Coat salmon fillet(s) with olive oil and sprinkle with herb’s de Provence. I like “Victoria Taylor’s” brand. Some others I found have too much salt or none at all. Put a thin slice of lemon on each piece of same and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes. +/- depending on how well done you like it. Good on the grill too I never plank grilled it, but I would probably be awesome cooked on a cedar plank on the grill.

Balsamic Chicken
Two or three garlic gloves (crushed in garlic crusher or chopped fine)
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp whole pepper corns ( often use a “pepper mill mix”)
Small handful finely chopped fresh parley or 1 tsp dry
Small handful chopped basil or 1 tsp dry
About 1 pound [thin sliced] chicken breast
Course sea salt or kosher salt

mix all ingredients except chicken and salt. Put in fridge for an hour or longer.

Sprinkle salt on the chicken to taste. Do this about the same time as you make the marinade and let them rest in the fridge.

Put the chicken and the marinade in a plastic zip bag and leave in the fridge for about ½ hour. Don’t let it marinade too long because of the acidity.

If baking, divide the chicken and marinade into a couple of casserole dishes and Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I prefer grilling this and I baste the chicken with the marinade as I am cooking it.
Oh and try to scrape off any peppercorns that may stick to the chicken. Or else you might crunch a pepper corn. It doesn’t bother me but some people might not enjoy it.