Positive Babinski Reflex

robertwaldon

Barefooters
Jan 25, 2012
Is there any information (or even informed guesses) about any potential benefits of barefoot movement to "de-sensitize" the soles of my feet? I am no longer an active runner. I have been diagnosed with MS (which I am handling just fine), but there is a positive Babinski reflex and total lack of proper gait reflex so I am now un-coordinated and cannot run. The best I can do is to "gallump" along for a little bit.

Anyway, the question is basically, can I rehabilitate my gait reflexes through exercise or use? Sort of like in the old days when I would just "run through" stuff. Any hope here? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert

Robert, please post your

Robert, please post your question in the Ask the Docs forum as well.

I'm not sure why you would want to de-sensitize the soles of your feet though. If you are going barefoot, then you will want to be able to feel what it is you are walking over. To cover your feet would mean to remove important feedback from your feet and compromise your proprioception. I don't know how advanced your MS is though.

My mother in law has MS, pretty advanced, as she has seizures as well. I don't feel she should go barefoot though because if she were to get a cut for example or kick her foot on something, she wouldn't be able to walk at all as she has enough trouble walking as it is with her walker. She would, literally, be confined to bed. I'm going to be getting her some minimalist shoes, water socks or Merrells.

Each person would have to determine the best way to go about barefoot living for them.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon