PF and sciatica inflamed, SF marathon less than three weeks away

Philly

Barefooters
May 1, 2012
Sacramento
Have been running bf and in Vibrams after slow build up since Jan 2012. So much preferred to shoes, I decided in June to start doing even my longer tn runs in the Vibrams.. 3 weeks ago did 17 mi with two mammoth hills, and felt some pain in my left foot, on the outside and across my arch. Pain persisted when walking, on waking, and stopped my short 4 mi run the next morning. Went to the doc. who diagnosed plantar fasciitis. I also have a history of sciatica (3 years) down my left side, and that was also causing pain. Since, I've iced, rested (no running in 2 weeks) and there's been improvement..I've been cross-training at the gym with bike, core strengthening and stretches and foam roller. But I'm concerned that I need to get my runs back in, with the SF marathon on July 29 - less than three weeks away now. :( I had planned to run in my Vibrams, but I guess that's out the window? Someone had suggested my Vibrams may need replacing, another said because I overpronate on my right foot due to a bunian, I need inserts in shoes with support. ARGH. Any advice welcomed! Thanks! (p.s. Not my first marathon, this will be my 5th in 18 months. Oh, and I'm 49 years old [but really never felt like it til now!] )

Philly,

really tough here without seeing you. i'd be concerned with bone pain and early stress fracture symptoms. there are so many issues related to foot function that without seeing you any advice would be dangerous with a race 3 wks away. Running through PF is often OK but not trying to run through a stress fracture.

i did the SF Marathon 20 yrs ago....it has grown.

Mark

Hi! I had an x-ray, and my foot was unremarkable. :) Does that help? I have had great improvement since resting, and actually did two miles after the gym last night and felt fine.. no pain this morning. ?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway