Once Passed it All Made Sense

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
We're all used to hearing stupid or sarcastic comments,

and occasionaly are subjected to listening to really lame

personal opinions regarding our choice.

Racing yesterday's 5K at about the half way mark I heard a couple of guys closing in on me.

"Barefoot runner"

'You read the book?'

"No. there's a barefoot runner ahead"

'He read the book?'

" I don't know, probably, but he's running barefoot"

'He is?'

"Yes, he's just ahead of us"

'How far ahead?'

"We're going to pass him in just a bit, I can't really hear him "

'I don't hear him'

"Did you read the book or have you been running barefoot for a long time?"

Me: "Neither". It was the truth of course, and I figured that a lame conversation deserved a terse smart-ass response.

It was as they smoked past me that I felt more like a dumb ass than a smart ass.

And they were impressed with me?

It was a sightless runner accompanied by a guide runner!

DOH!

I had forgotten that this was a race the Lions Club was sponsoring to raise funds for the Leader Dogs for the Blind.

After the race we hung out together, and everyone was asking me the typical barefoot questions while the pair of them had no explaining to do. Weird that I was looked at as the superhuman after what those two accomplished.

At the awards ceremony I received a big round of applause as I took the podium to claim my third place prize, and was even more surprised when I opened the box later to find that they mistakingly gave me a SECOND place mug.

SHHHH......,I'll drink out of it proudly without cluing anyone else in!

Hey, boardster, congrats on

Hey, boardster, congrats on the mug! It's always interesting to hear people talking about you during a race, especially when they assume you can't hear them. But that's just awesome...I can't really imagine running blind!

Well, I bet you felt like the

Well, I bet you felt like the lame one. I could see me doing that too, so don't feel so bad. Congrats on the 2nd...er...uh 3rd place finish! You are quite fast for someone who's just picked up running...and barefoot to boot! (Uh, no-pun intended there.)

Board, I wish I had a penny

Board, I wish I had a penny for every time I did something like that! I wouldn't be able to retire but I'm sure I could buy a pair of good running shorts LOL.

Congratulations on the race!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway

Latest posts