Nutrition on long runs question

Although it's probably possible to adapt into not needing electrolytes, water or food, training and recovering from such training runs just sucks. If I run with bad hydration, it takes some time to rehydrate afterwards and it might ruin rest of the day and maybe even next day also due to bad sleeping..

I agree, I cannot sleep well or find it hard to sleep without proper food intake . On long run days I find myself waking up in the middle of night to refuel, after eating I fall asleep again right away. Its amazing how our brain knows when to refuel even while sleeping.
On eating during long run, every 15 min or so my stomack will be begging for food I'll have a bite or two the same thing with hydration. I recently eating dark chocolate, it has high calorie density. and quick for my body to turns it into usable fuel.

That may be so...but the fact is that you need to eat!Offcourse there are people who can pull extraordinary feeds on just about nothing,the fact still remains that running (or for that matter any other sport) without nutrition isn't good for your health.

You just eat a lot afterwards. I had no problems running back to back 20 milers on empty stomaches, But man did I eat an absurd amount of food when I got home. I pretty much did nothing but eat the rest of the days. But I still went out and had fun, lived life, had no problems recovering from it. It was the weekend, everyone eats too much on the weekend anyway, I just had a really good excuse. My recoveries weren't any worse after my food deprived runs than when I was eating all the time after the first two weeks of doing it. Its all about forcing your body to adapt. I did it for a super specific purpose and it worked amazingly. The first two weeks of doing it were sort of hell, but after that you don't notice the difference. It took me far less time to adjust to having no food in my system than it did for me to adjust to bf running.

Now personally I don't screw with avoiding water. I love water, alot, why would I want to deprive myself of that lol. Actually I just have an insane fear of dehydration. I go no where without water in normal life, let alone a run. I get kinda scared just of being thirsty quite honestly.

Reactions: Robin
oh I didn't realize with the recovery you were just talking about water. That I can't speak from personal experience with at all. I know people do it and seem to be fine, but I just can't. My phobia of dehydration is too strong to even try.

Back in the days (30 years ago) when all the value of hydration and nutrition was not thought about to much for the recreational runner, I ran all the time up to 20-25 miles without water and food and it did not bother me at all. Now if I run, I will hydrate on runs over 6 miles in the summer, but not in the winter. But nutrition only on runs over 15 miles. We just ran in those days, and I for one only drank water about 1/2 hour before my run and out the door I went.

Reactions: Robin
Back in the days (30 years ago) when all the value of hydration and nutrition was not thought about to much for the recreational runner, I ran all the time up to 20-25 miles without water and food and it did not bother me at all. Now if I run, I will hydrate on runs over 6 miles in the summer, but not in the winter. But nutrition only on runs over 15 miles. We just ran in those days, and I for one only drank water about 1/2 hour before my run and out the door I went.

Yeah,my grandfather used to say people were a different breed then...they ran on will-power alone!;)

Just to pitch in that it seems in vogue for running magazines and other advice columns to say that no one should even think about going over two hours of running without recource to energy gels, or hypotonic drinks. Perhaps this is because there is a growing industry in making these products and selling them to unconfident and unknowing runners and cyclists. It wouldn't be the first time that money has got in the way of objective advice giving (e.g. sports footwear industry anyone?).
I looked around for information about hydration and energy supplements before trying my first marathon and everywhere took it as a given that participants at that distance would be having something or other. I would just say:

Go with what your body is telling you and not what other people say your body should be getting.

I have never used drink or food on any run I have ever done, whatever the distance or time. This includes the marathon I got around. So, it works for me and keeps things simple. Mind you, living in the UK, the weather doesn't tend to get too hot so fluid loss during running is not such a problem. though it sounds obvious, when the weather is hot, I keep sessions shorter or run at times when it's cooler.
Like others have said before though, everyone is different and their goals may differ too. Here are a few things I have heard about:

1. Getting dehydrated even a little bit can have a more significant effect on performance. If you're into PBs, ultra distances, etc, then keeping hydrated is in one's best interests - mind you, I've heard lots of stories of hyperhydration (drinking too much for immediate requirements) so it's best to use discretion.
2. Studies have shown that training without eating/drinking before/during training improves fitness and performance over time more than those who don't train "on an empty stomach".
3. Many sources recommend only taking drink/fluids if running extends beyond two hours. Also, it should be in the form of carbohydrates to help keep glycogen stores up. The body can be trained to rely on burning fat for energy rather than carbohydrates but carbs are still needed in burning fat energy so it needs replenishing over an extended period of time.
4. I have found no problems with a lack of intake during the course of any run. Again, there appears to be a consensus that it is important to eat and drink within a 15-20 minute timeframe after the discontinuation of exercise to speed recovery and repair. This is in part due to an increased metabolic uptake for a time after exercise.

I suppose the point I most want to make is have the confidence to do what feels right for you and not be swayed too much by the current trends. I have the confidence now to know that I can run 26 miles and 4 hours+ without food or water. I wouldn't have discovered this if i'd followed the advice of the running magazines and "experts". Good luck with whatever you choose.

Just to pitch in that it seems in vogue for running magazines and other advice columns to say that no one should even think about going over two hours of running without recource to energy gels, or hypotonic drinks. ...

4. I have found no problems with a lack of intake during the course of any run. Again, there appears to be a consensus that it is important to eat and drink within a 15-20 minute timeframe after the discontinuation of exercise to speed recovery and repair. This is in part due to an increased metabolic uptake for a time after exercise.....

I suppose the point I most want to make is have the confidence to do what feels right for you and not be swayed too much by the current trends.

+1000 to these points especially.

People like to buy things, people like even more to sell things to those people and get the money for them. Most all of those things are useful for certain times and places, but get overused. I'm a massive consumerist of running stuff, but I don't actually use any of it that often (garmin and mp3 player excepted, those I love). Just like footwear all of it are tools which can be overused. Nutrition is no different. If you are having a rough day than sure, eat something, but it shouldn't be overused and I think a lot of people (including myself at one point and time) most certainly do.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7