My personal TOFP...

Luca

Barefooters
Feb 14, 2013
Hi everyone,
need some words of wisdom and advice since I am experiencing a very annoying issue. I have run barefoot or in VFF for more than one year. Ca. 6 weeks ago or so, after some sprints while wearing Huaraches, I suddenly started feeling something wrong in the upper part of my big and second toes (left foot). Specifically, I begun having an unspleasant, burning sensation running from the top of my foot down to the toes: I just thought that, in search of speed, I was stupidly pushing with my toes, and those were just symptoms of a "regular" TOFP.
Actually, I was expecting some issue to raise sooner or later, because my left foot, calves and ankle are rather "tight" (I also have a slight hammer-toe condition) due to a number of ankle sprains occurred when I was a kid that really left a dent.
Based on past experiences (had TOFP to my right foot last summer), I expected significant swelling and pain also when walking (and even resting). Instead, everything turned appartently OK just a few minutes after, and I had no symptoms in the next days.
I was reassured and went running again. However, after a few km the issue came suddendly back. Actually, it's more of a bad, annoying sensation (like a burning string that's going to snap) rather than real pain. Sharpness of this feeling seems to depend on the surface I'm running onto, and it becomes excruciating when running downhill (simply, I have to stop and walk).
Funny, as soon as I stop running the feeling goes away almost immediately.
When I tap my TOF I feel a sort of (light and superficial) electric shock down to my toes, but I feel confident in ruling out stress fractures. When running, the bad feeling may climb up to the outer part of my ankle.
I nearly mauled my lower leg (front and back) in search of TPs, which helped a little. During a run, I occasionally stop and rub my calves and peroneal muscles, which gives me a transient relief before the problem gets back.
I also tried to change my gait, which helped as well, by pointing my foot outwards and therefore increasing foot pronation (I'm an oversupinator). I may add that, when I was running with regular shoes, the same toes turned numb until I took my shoes off - no pain however.
Yesterday I went running after a week of rest and Ibuprofene. I was not expecting a full recovery, still I was rather disappointed when I realized that there was no amelioration at all. I have a feeling that all starts when my calf muscles become tired and tighter, but it's just a guess.
When I tried to ask around for advice, the only reply was: "get a pair of good shoes", which is far from my intentions. Any feedback and/or suggestion from you guys?
Sorry for the long post and my bad italian-english...
Best,
Luca

Luca,

I recently had a bit of TOFP myself during a short 2 mile 20 minute run but it wasn't until after the run did it really set in. Swelling and an ache ( I refuse to call it pain as it didn't really feel like pain). This was on the 6th of March a week and a half after my first barefoot 1/2 marathon. The TOFP subsided by Friday, two days after.

This is all in my right foot, I know feel a weird tingling sensation on occassion for example when just working my toes and walking barefoot. There is absolutely no pain. I'm still new into barefooting and probably ran my first 1/2 way to soon barefoot..... but I was already registered for it and refused to go shod since ditching my sneakers the first of the year.

I'm wondering if for me if it isn't more of continued conditioning of my feet. At one point I had literally a creaking that could be both felt and heard audibly in my right foot when I started barefoot training. That is gone now and has been for a bit.

I wish I had an answer for you but I think I may be in the same boat in some respects. Did you "Ask the Docs" here on BFR they may be able to provide a little insight. After my 1/2 I did have some outer right foot pain that helped with a foam roller by rolling my shins and calves.

I intend on going out for a short run later in the day, I'll let you know how it goes.

I had TOFP, on and off, for over a year, misdiagnosed as a stress reaction by an incompetent sport medicine doc. The solution was simple: massage, roll, and stretch my shin and calf muscles, especially the shin muscles (on the outside of the shin bone). When these muscles get tight or knotty they yank painfully on the tendons in the top of your foot. I haven't had any TOFP since I figured this out. Hope this works for you guys too.

Reactions: otoole4info