Hit a nerve in the big toe?

halfhazzard

Barefooters
Jan 30, 2012
Cross-posted in Ask the Docs.

Yesterday I did probably the best barefoot run of my life. About the same distance that I'm used to (very short compared to the more experienced runners) and it just felt great. The run consists of 4:00 run, 2:00 walk, 4:00 run, 2:00 walk, 4:00 run (runs all on concrete), 2:00 walk, and finish 5:00 run on grass.

I got home and felt a sharp pain in my big toe (right). The pain is definitely "inside" the toe as opposed to on the surface, and is triggered with contact on the outside surface of my toe to the ground. Ironically, this feels the same pain that I felt in the other toe (left) months ago which led me to barefoot walking/running.

I believe the pain originates with the shoes I was wearing at work that day (typical black oxfords) that I had worn for two days and had very sparingly worn in the last year since the left toe started hurting months ago. I was wearing the black oxfords often when the left toe was hurting. I truly believe the oxfords trigger the pain.

Last night, I awoke in the middle of the night with a sharp pain (like fire) inside my big toe, which subsided in about a minute, and I fell back asleep. That sharp pain tells me (with no medical training =P) that it's the nerve.

I've attached pictures of my big toe for all to see. The red indicates where the pain feels (not on the surface, definitely inside the toe) and the green indicates contact points where the pain is trigered.

My treatment this far has been ice, ibuprofen, and some voltaren gel left over from the podiatrist months ago that I've saved because it helped last time.

My question is, what the heck did I damage? Is there any additional treatment I should seek besides RICE? Any other concerns I should have?

I'll cross-post in Nutrition and Injuries for everyone else.

Thanks!​

Attachments

• Foot 1 edit.JPG
    Foot 1 edit.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 3
  • foot 2.JPG
    foot 2.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 3
Cross-posting: Thanks Dr. XXXX for the quick response!

Good news, as soon as I took off my work boots after work, pain is gone. I have yet to do jumping jacks on it, but the pain has really subsided. I threw on my Minimus Zeros to go to the gym (weights, some kettle bell swings for the lower body), and still no real problems. This nerve thing baffles me, as its the second time it's shown up but on the opposite big toe, and I'm still blaming it on my black oxfords I occasionally wear at work.

Like most things in my body, I don't think there's a great explanation. Maybe all of the footwear I wear to work only is slightly too narrow. I'm counting my blessings and I'm going to keep trucking.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7