Great article about Sprinting

Thanks for the article

Thanks for the article Jimmy. What I got from it was that if you are going for particular time, shoot well faster to get there. Seems obvious maybe but nice to hear it from the elite.

yeah that's kind of how we

yeah that's kind of how we always trained. when my goal was a 1:56 800m I thought 1:56 all the time and that was my goal but it wasn't to just run 1:56. It was beat 1:56, always beat, never just run that time but beat it.

A lot of what I liked about the article was the biomchanical aspect of sprinting and running in general. The conventional standards for ability estimation just aren't there with the sport of running. There are countless examples of people beating the expected of them. Guys like Michael Johnson and his "bad" form, Jackie Joyner and her asthma, Bolt and his height, and there are so many more but I'd just list all day.

Bolt's build doesn't have

Bolt's build doesn't have PED's appearance but that's not to say he isn't using something. I hold everyone as innocent on this front until they are proven otherwise because I like to believe that we has humans can push the limits to new levels without pushing the legal line as well.

I was expecting to learn how

I was expecting to learn how to sprint faster. oh well. did anyone read the bottom part? they quote BTR and McDougall. he says humans are terrible sprinters and any amputee dog can hold his own against any human. to true and funny.

Mike

Good stuff. I guess the

Good stuff. I guess the secret is to hide your goal from yourself.

that's an interesting way to

that's an interesting way to look at it Joshh. I actually kep tmy time goals in my face all the time. My first goal was my school's cross country record and the two mile recordin the same year, then the mile, then the 800. Each time I wrote that number down and put it on my bathroom mirror, the wall next to my bed, my desk, my locker, and even on my shoes. That time was what I wanted and I wanted it on my mind all the time. Still my goal was always to beat the time not just run it. I guess it's about how you mentally approach your goals.

So did you beat those

So did you beat those records? If so, let's have 'em!

Disclaimer:  These times were

Disclaimer: These times were a long long time ago and I am nowhere near that runner today. Too many years and a major knee injury changed all that. Also to be completely honest I don't know all my high school times exactly cuz they kind of blend into my college times but some I do remember very clearly so if you really wanna know, here ya go.

Cross Country - 14:40 (unoffical road time) 15:05 official course

2 Mile - 9:08

1 Mile - 4:10

800m - 1:50

100m - 10.8 (not a school record but I'm proud of it anyways)

I beleive that's all there is and I think some of them are still school records.

Dang!  Those are some SMOKIN'

Dang! Those are some SMOKIN' times!!!

I've been knocked way off course by back to back foot injuries this summer but I'm still bent on running the best mile and 5km that I can this summer. Hoping to do good 10km time mid winter then hopefully a 1/2 marathon by next summer. Can you tell me where I can find a training schedule for the first two distances? I'm kind of lost as to how to get to my best. I want to run faster than I did in school because at 40 I don't feel slower and I know that I'm mentally tougher. I just need some direction.

Joshh the tough part about

Joshh the tough part about what you want to do is the difference in the two distances. The 5k and mile are very different in strategy so the training would be different. You could probably pull it off though if you worked the training right. For the mile the plan would have a lot of speed and strength work. To get fast at the mile you have to be strong at the shorter distances which is why a lot of 800m guys can run the mile with success because they have the strength to push hard and hang on.

What you'll be trying to do is the opposite by training for a longer distance but having speed at the shorter one as well. I'm not sure you'll find a good plan online but there might be something if you look for a 5k improvement training plan. I would say put a lot of speed a strength work in your plan. I don't know what you're doing now but I would say at least two days a week dedicated to that type of training. One day for speed and one day for strength (typically hill work).

Look around and see what you can find and feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I write training plans for a living so I am always for hire :) Good luck getting those times!

I do hills pretty much every

I do hills pretty much every run because I live on one and our coach in highschool taught us to always embrace them. I really hate the track work but if it's just once a week, that is super do-able. Maybe I'll just focus on the 5k instead of mixing things up. I'll pm you about plans.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon