Do foot pods work with BF?

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
HI!

I ordered a new watch, a Polar that I can use a foot pod with. But I'm wondering if those things even work with BF running? What if I run so lightly that that the thing can't even tell when I take a step?

Or is that just ridiculous thinking?

Tia

I looked into it, and it

I looked into it, and it depends on the pod. Some will work on your ankle, but others have to be oriented as if on shoelaces, lying on top of the foot. As to picking up the stride, I think that would be OK, as long as you calibrate it to the instructions...

It depends on the pod.  The

It depends on the pod. The can't be too sensitive because then (like the Nike+) they would read too many steps because subtle vibrations would be registered as steps. This makes them usually need a good vibration/feedback with the step in order for them to know it's an actual footfall.

If you're watch didn't come with the footpod I'd recommend contacting Polar and asking before paying for it separately. I worked with Polar for about 5 years when I was with Lifetime Fitness and I know the Polar Pod back then probably would not have worked for you for two reasons. 1. It wouldn't have been sensitive enough and 2. You wouldn't have had a way to attach it to your foot or ankle as the lace loop was pretty rough.

I'm curious to hear what you wind up doing.

My Garmin Footpod works fine

My Garmin Footpod works fine at the front of my ankle.

Wow, glad I asked first,

Wow, glad I asked first, thanks! I don't want to buy a Polar pod as an experiment because they're too expensive for that and I don't really need it at the the moment. I'm base-building and going by time/HR, not distance/pace. But I was still curious in an academic way about the issue. And if the things didn't cost so much, I'd just get one anyway.

I think, when the time comes, I'm going to smash open a piggy bank and just get another FR305 (I destroyed mine recently by leaving it on the roof of my car, from it slid down into a busy street, getting trampled by at least 20 cars before I could turn around and scavenge the bits and pieces of electronics that were strewn about the place).

Ouch!

Ouch!

spoonerweb

spoonerweb said:

exactly :(

The reason it was on the roof, of course, was that I was sitting in my car trying to get the satellite hookup while waiting for someone. It was a cloudy day and it was taking too long, so I laid it up there .... then we just drove off.

that sucks. when buying my

that sucks. when buying my forerunner i came across an ad for someone buying broken forerunners. if any of it is salvagable i'd suggest seeing if you can make something off of it. i have the 405cx and it finds the satellites quickly, sometimes even if i'm moving.

I have the 305 as well and it

I have the 305 as well and it is terribly slow finding the satelites here as well. Mike was getting irritated at me when we went for a trail run because we were ready but the 305 was not. Around the house I just set it out on the balcony while I'm getting me and my son ready so it's no big deal, but when I have to drive somewhere, like to the trails, it sucks to have to wait when your ready. I really like being able to see multiple stats without having to push a button though so I couldn't do the 405 that Mike has.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon