Cracks

AaronH

Barefooters
Jan 6, 2011
So I've had this big crack at the base of my big toe for a month now. It refuses to heal completely before opening up again every week or so. I've tried using antibiotic ointment, bag balm, and heavy-duty foot crack lotion, and I keep it covered with a bandage and sport tape. I'm getting desperate enough to see if I can get it stitched closed. Does anyone know the trick to healing something like this?

Ah, I should have put this

Ah, I should have put this under "Ask the Doc."

This isn't fungus; before the crack developed I had a small blister along the joint from my first couple huaraches outings of the spring. That thinned and weakened the skin enough for it to crack during some dry barefoot runs. I have wondered if leaving it covered too long could cause fungus to make matters worse, so I usually do a good epsom salt soak after running and then leave it exposed for the rest of the evening and following night. It actually looked healed over last Friday. But then I ran a 50k Saturday, and it's as bad as ever now.

The Ask the Docs forum is

The Ask the Docs forum is being put together right now, actually, so it's locked. I had put it aside waiting for IBRD and some other big projects to pass first, but now I can concentrate on getting it up and running. We should have three doctors, most of you have heard of them already, coming on board to handle our questions (DPM, CP, and MD). Looking forward to it!

Aaron, take a picture of your toe crack, and maybe I can forward it on to them to get their input. Check the Site Help forum below for tips on how to get your photo/s posted, and be sure to keep the images small. Thanks!

With the warmer weather and

With the warmer weather and the open air nature of huaraches, it could just be drying out of the cuticle, and once it splits it can go right into the skin. I have this problem mostly with fingers. Use a mineral oil, or cuticle oil to keep it moisturized. Other thing to watch for is the possibility of infection so you might invest in some antibiotic ointment to cut down on that possibility. Sooner or later the body will just get tired of the injury and repair it, even if it means a scar. Hope it works for ya.

John

You just reminded me that I

You just reminded me that I was going to try coconut oil; that worked well on my fingertips last winter. I'll try leaving it covered when running in order to prevent infection and just stick with oil or lotion the rest of the time.

On the other hand, in the novels Tarzan usually put soil in his wounds to help them heal faster, so maybe I should just pack some mud into it at the start of each trail run. Tough call.

Btw, I tried to take a photo, but my camera can't focus over such a short distance. Just imagine a whopping 5/8" gash.

Just an update in case this

Just an update in case this helps anyone with the same problem. 4 days ago I trimmed off as much skin as I could around the fissure, and that seems to have been the missing step that I needed to start making real progress. My last barefoot run didn't open it back up, and I didn't use any sport tape. Unfortunately I pounded a low sapling stump with my pinky toe, so I won't be testing it further for a little while.

So I'm guessing the skin you

So I'm guessing the skin you trimmed away was dried up then. Very good advice. Seems to make sense.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7