Cedar Canyon Half Marathon - a minimal half

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
0f42c2ad-8842-4f36-a30b-796f777a240c.jpg

Sorry all, not a real race report, just a few comments on my race this weekend.

I signed up for this half marathon a few weeks ago. I hadn't been doing many races this summer. Work, marathon training, fees, etc. determined that I didn't sign up for many, but this one caught my eye. It was a local race in the nearest city and fit into the marathon taper. The downside is that it is downhill course, almost 2300 vertical drop in elevation. Past runners told me that they had been sore for weeks after the race. So my plan was to take it very easy.

I decided to do this race minimal. No, not shoes, just lack of stuff. My long runs lately I pack along a camelbak, water, cell phone, sandals, tape, bandaids, fuel, electrolytes, tp, watch. You get the idea, lots of extra gear, most things go unused. This race, shorts, shirt, hat, and bib. I glad it was a bib chip, because I have lost my road id.

I was a little nervous because I did not check out the course, but I knew the last 4 miles were on a bike path and on city streets. I figured I could handle 9 miles of unknown conditions. So everything went well, no problems. The course was pretty smooth. About 4 miles of mild chip seal about halfway in. A few flood debris on the bike path. 50 feet of gravel on the transition to the bike path. 3rd official barefoot half marathon in the bag.

The usual comments that all of you have heard before. Forget your shoes, doesn't that hurt, how are your feet, etc. No other barefoot runners. Two Ladies in VFF's and one guy in Crocs (and we're the crazy ones?)

I did take it easy on the upper section of the course, but I did push a little at the end. Funny, but I didn't use any of the aid stations. The weather was cool, my pace was slow, and I just didn't get thirsty. I failed my time goal. I wanted to be over 2 hours. My time was 1:59.

Felt good enough to dance in the Oktoberfest that evening and I did a 2 hour hike the next day, but today my quads are toast. Oh well, better to have sore muscles then sore knees.

548091_509805995714575_124820112_n.jpg

I'm the taller one with my daughter Nicole, my friend Turd'l with his daughter. Oktoberfest in Brian Head, Utah.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
I love seeing you guys in pictures! Nice.

Awesome Rick, sounds like a great run. No water? Crazy. And to pair it up with a hike and Oktoberfest = priceless.

Thier logo though needs some tweaking...
I knew someone would notice the logo. I'll put toes on my metal with a sharpie. Rethinking the lack of water right now. Having some sore muscles. I'll try a little hair of the dog (running, not Oktoberfest beer).

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon