Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Dirty Toes Joe

Barefooters
Jul 20, 2010
So.......I've got this thing........also called a "forward tilting pelvis." Since I have great medical insurance and easy access to a ton of great physicians, I did the typical American thing and have used the internet to diagnose myself with this. It's not hard to diagnose, though. It's basically when your pelvis is tilted slightly forward, causing you to look like you are jutting your a$$ and stomach out. It can also cause your ankles to tip in, which mine have done since I was a little kid. I know a large part of it is from having a weak core.

The internet is full of recommendations on how to correct this, and I've looked at many of them. Since I'm a modern American, however, I thought I would ask for the opinions of anonymous strangers, most of whom I've never met. Enter my favorite forum and fellow barefooters.....

Have any of you dealt with this? If so, what did you do, and how much of a change did you see? I'm not to the point of it causing any pain yet, but there's a rumor going around that I'm getting older, so I figure I better try to correct it before it does cause a problem. Plus I look kinda stupid - like I'm sticking my stomach and a$$ out and waddling like a duck.

Any recommendations on exercises or stretches? I'll probably start trying the stuff google found for me, but I would appreciate any info from someone who has already dealt with this. I'm gonna try to jump back into this fitness thing. I still think its just a fad, though - I don't think it will ever take off.

Thanks

Joe

hahaha nice post, thanks :)

I think it's also called "sway back"... it's something we deal with in Qigong classes and part of the basic "stance". Kind of difficult to help you though since even when I'm there in person, demonstrating and correcting, most people need quite a bit of time for it to 'click'.

Basically though: stand up, feet about shoulder-width apart and parallel, relax a little and apply the stomach muscles to pull the pelvic bone upwards while at the same time allowing the sacrum to sink, reversing the tilt. Do that on an exhale. And when you inhale next time, just relax and allow the pelvis to come to its normal position. Repeat over and over...

Or:

Youtube "pelvic tilt" to see a ton of more normal-looking exercises, some of them quite good!

I just went through a fabulous posture workshop with Esther Gokhale that helped me understand proper pelvis alignment. Here is a quote from a message forum where Esther answers a question similar to yours:

http://egwellness.com/forums/8-steps-–-questions-and-discussions-related-book-“8-steps-pain-free-back”/8-steps-general--17
Anterior tilted pelvis: this is not a problem. If your pelvis is truly too tipped, you'll back it up some and if it just right, you'll just skip some steps and go on to follow the other directions. In my experience, however, often people who think they are too tipped are actually swayed + tucked. It is easy to mistake a sway for an anterior pelvic tilt - both send your bottom back - it's the location of the curve that is critical. Tipped pelvis gives you a curve very low down in your spine (at L5-S1); a sway gives you a curve higher up in the lumbar spine. If it is a sway you have, you may still need to work on tipping your pelvis forward, but not till after you straighten out your sway.​

I recommend Esther's book, 8 Steps To a Pain Free Back. I found it to be a good first step to fixing posture but there's nothing that can substitute for the hand's on training in her Gokhale Method Foundations workshop. http://egwellness.com/classes-services/gmf It was well worth the cost. The difference in my shape, strength and running ability are all proving that to me. When I get some spare time I hope to post a more detailed review and some before/after pictures.

Esther teaches that proper posture is NOT with a tucked pelvis (as is often taught and what I previous believed). The trick is to anchor the rib cage down using the core abdominal muscles (especially the obliques) so that the lumbar spine is not swayed. Release the lower back and hip muscles that would tuck the hips so that the pelvis tips naturally at the top of the butt. She refers to it as getting your behind behind you. Imagine that you have a tail (like a dog's tail) and be sure to sit and stand with your tail out behind you; don't sit on your tail and don't stand with your tail between your legs.

For the upper body, imagine that you are trying to lift your chest up and over a bar at chest height. Elongate the spine and use your abdominal muscles to pull the bottom of the rib cage down and back. Now roll each shoulder (one a time) a little up, a little back and then down and in. If done correctly, the shoulders should comfortably stay in place without any effort. It's like the shoulder are on a gear mechanism and they've been ratcheted back one location. You're not using the back muscles to hold them back. If you just use your back muscles to squeeze the shoulder blades together (as is done when you're told to "stand up straight") you'll feel your rib cage pop out and up; this creates a sway. The shoulders should be down and back while the ribs cage is also anchored down and back. Initially this may feel like you're leaning forward if you're used to being arched back with a sway. Look at a mirror to your side and you may be surprised to see you don't look as forward as you feel.

Next imagine you're grabbing a pony tail at the base of your skull and you pull it up and back. This elongates the back of the neck and moves the head back and over the spine. Now look at your side view in a mirror again. If you still notice a slight forward lean in the body, don't try to correct it by straightening up. Instead, keep the alignment in your spine with your ribs anchored and further tighten your abs. Imagine someone pushing straight back on your stomach (same horizontal direction as the floor) so that your upper body slides back over the hips (the upper back is still long like you're trying to get your chest over that imaginary bar).

If you get it right your spine will take more of a J shape than an S shape. Look for a long, straight back with an even groove along the spine and a curve at the top of the butt (at L5-S1). There are some fabulous images in Esther's book and on her web site that help to illustrate this. http://egwellness.com Here are a few to help give you the idea.

egokhale-sitting-pic8.jpg

This is Esther. Note how she is sitting with her tail behind her. Her back and neck are long, her shoulders are back and there is no sway in the lumbar area. Here she is demonstrating hip hinging. Notice how she leans forward by hinging at the hips instead of rounding the back. When she sits back up straight she keeps the exact same alignment from the neck to the hips and just rotates in the hip socket.

ubong-tribal-people.jpg

I hope this image of Ubong tribal people isn't considered inappropriate here. These folks spend a lot of time walking and running barefoot. Notice the even groove in the spine from the neck to the top of the butt with a curve at L5-S1. The spine is more J shaped than S shaped.

1004POTM.jpg

We all started out with the right posture and alignment. Babies the world over initially sit and stand with the posture alignment Esther teaches. Over time, due to a variety of cultural influences, many of us in industrialized areas forget this primal wisdom and take on a posture that causes us problems.

Peace,
Karen

Thanks Karen! I will try some of the stuff in your post, and I'll check out the website. According to the before/after picture at the top of her page, she used her posture techniques to change a slouching young black man into an upright old white guy. It's like magic!

Thanks Karen! I will try some of the stuff in your post, and I'll check out the website. According to the before/after picture at the top of her page, she used her posture techniques to change a slouching young black man into an upright old white guy. It's like magic!
LOL. If I remember correctly, that's her husband (seriously). The first picture was from his younger days when he had a much better tan and much worse posture. The after picture is more recent. He's much older and has much better posture.

Peace,
Karen

I have similar issues with pelvic tilt. I've been working with a coach who noticed it and is helping me address it. I do a lot of weightlifting and its crucial that my pelvis be aligned properly in order to "get tight" and do some of the lifts I do. Otherwise I risk injuring myself. I actually talk about this "neutral" position in this blog post I wrote fairly recently. Disregard all my TMI in the beginning (HA!), there's a link on there to a video of a guy who demonstrates an exercise that finds that neutral position. Check that out. Also, core exercises are a good way to strengthen the muscles that help you get into neutral and get tight. I've found this helps me when I do my long runs like marathons or 50ks. Some good core exercises are hollow rocks, planks, and leg circles. Once I started strengthening my core I found it much easier to correct my pelvic tilt and maintain that position during certain movements.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts