Worst Foot and Calf Cramps I've Ever Experienced

Alejandro 10

Barefooters
Jul 13, 2011
I shared this over on Ted's forum as well, but wanted to post it here too. I figure the more feedback the better.

I am guessing this has to do with being dehydrated and sleep deprived... I pulled an all-nighter to finish a final paper, so I last got out of bed yesterday morning at 6 or 7am. At about 10pm I finished two cups of decaf herbal tea and my Klean Kanteen. Since dinner last night at about 7pm I have eaten a half a grapefruit, a square of chocolate, 3 large eggs, one medium onion, two breakfast sausages and an orange.

At 3pm this afternoon I decided I would take a nap in the hammock outside under the tree. On the Hammock Forums most people suggest having your feet higher than your head during a hang for comfort reasons. An hour or so into my nap my calf started screaming as if something was trying to squeeze out from inside next to my tibia. Added to that a half hour later is the fact that my feet began to cramp up in the arches back toward my heel. I really thought I was going cry from the pain. The last time I felt anything remotely like this in my feet it was over two years ago before I started minimalist and barefoot running and I associated it with everything being weak down there.

So, my question is, how close do you suppose I am in thinking it is dehydration and sleep deprivation having their way with me? If that isn't it do you have any other suggestions. If I can prevent this stuff from happening again I want to.

Gracia y paz,

A

I'm not a doctor. Or a health

I'm not a doctor. Or a health care professional. I'm just a pudgy old guy who runs barefoot.

Is this both feet/legs?

I sometimes get charlie horses (cramps like you describe) in one calf or the other... the key is not to scream but get up and work against it. So if you calf is cramping, stand on your feet and lean forward. Not dramatically, but lean into it a little. If the front of your shin is cramping, maybe lean back.

Eat a bannana. Being low on potassium will make you cramp more.

That's about all the advice I have. If it continues, I might see a doctor about it. I get charlie horses maybe once every other month, but when I was doing a lot of martial arts (barefoot), and when I started barefoot running, I got them more frequently.

Both feet but just the right

Both feet but just the right calf. I got some potassium in and am working on some salt as we speak. I am not ignoring the circadian rhythm tonight!

Um, my theory is that it had

Um, my theory is that it had to do with your calf muscles being stretched at a curve on the end of the hammock. One of the calf muscles -the soleus- runs under the back of your heel up against the back of your arch. Or maybe, you had your feet up too long and all the blood drained out of your feet. Or maybe it was the decaf tea. :smile:

Jen, If it weren't for the

Jen,

If it weren't for the fact that many people lay like that in hammocks I would be a bit creeped out... By the way, thank you for not sending Punishment Cat after me!

You're welcome, for not

You're welcome, for not sending Punishment Cat after you...yet. :evil:

Hi AlejandroI reckon

Hi Alejandro

I reckon magnesium is the go for cramps, it relaxes the muscles. I can't say I have had any severe cramps since taking magnesium except for a ankle tendon injury that has now cleared up. Now that used to go into some scary cramps, it felt like my ankle was going to twist 180 degrees, kind of like that girls head in the film The Exorcist.

Neil

I get a cramp just like you

I get a cramp just like you described. It is never in both legs and "usually" several hours after a workout. I was worried because I thought it was a neurological condition finally catching up to me. My GP thought it was a combination of deydration and fatigue. She suggested a lot more H2O and gentle stretching in the evenings. And unless you are on the WARRIOR DIET like I am, that is not a lot of calories. Just something to consider. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!Things are

Thanks everyone!

Things are still crazy academically, but fine physically. If only I could go out for a long run to celebrate my birthday tomorrow.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test