Word is spreading to the physical therapy community

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
So I've been seeing a physical therapist pretty regularly ever since I got a case of IT band syndrome. It's mostly gone now, but we've been doing some strengthening exercises to make sure that it doesn't come back. My PT also set me up with the resident running therapist just to see if I have any contributory form issues.

I was actually really nervous about this appointment because I didn't know what was going to happen. What would I do if the PT thought that I needed to wear regular trainers again...or motion control shoes for that matter? It's hard not to trust a medical professional when they make a recommendation about how to run injury free. On the other hand, I'd rather just not run than don a pair of shoes again.

So I showed up in my VFFs thinking that the PT wouldn't want me to be barefoot on a treadmill. The PT talked to me a little about my shoes and how much she likes them. The subject turned to barefoot running, and she found out about my participation with BRS. She actually had me complete my running assessment barefoot since that's the way I normally run. That put me at ease. Running on the treadmill is already awkward for me because I never do it. Running on it in VFFs would have been really weird.

What surprised me the most about the visit was her advice. She said that I pronate more with my left foot than the right, and that could contribute to my ITBS. But she said she most certainly would not prescribe me any kind of shoe to fix the problem. She said that a lot more PTs nowadays are turning towards POSE and other running techniques as well as muscle strengthening to correct form issues rather than perscribing shoes as the quick fix. She was even up to speed on the recent statement by Nike that motion control shoes don't do jack poop!

I was relieved and impressed. I'm glad to see that what we do makes sense to the medical community. I just thought I would share.

I wish that was the same for

I wish that was the same for me. When I went to the PTs (after cryosurgery for Morton's Neuroma, a conditioned caused by wearing shoes), they wanted me on the treadmill, asked if I had brought my shoes since I was in flip-flops, I told them I don't have any (literally gave them all-some new-to Soles for Souls), and they look at me like I'm a fool, like they had never heard of such a thing, running barefoot, what a clown I was to them. I ran barefoot on their treadmill though! Ha!

AND I AIN'T CHANGIN', I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU THINK! At least my feet don't stink.

Sorry, I will go now...

Huh?

Huh?

Well, since we know I don't

Well, since we know I don't have stinky feet, that would conclude that he must be referring to the MN...which everyone knows (poor things, I've bored them all to death wiht the same ole story) I still have MN. The surgery didn't do anything to help.

Hee.

Hee.

@Abide: I still have

@Abide: I still have lingering tightness in my IT band, but no more pain. All of what my PT suggested I do to heal it has been complete crap. I found out what worked for me through trial and error. Here's what worked:

1) IT band strap. I bought a Pro-Tec IT band strap and I would wear it whenever my leg got too stiff or painful. The stiffness went away immediately. I'd wear it for about 15-30 minutes at a pop about 2 times a day, and always when I ran. I credit this with about 75% of my recovery.

2) Better stretch. The common stretches for ITBS suck too, especially the one where you cross your legs and then bend to the side. The one that worked best for me was where I would lie on my side parrallel with a wall. Then I put my foot against the wall with my leg slightly bent. Then I would try to straighten out my leg without pushing myself backwards. Works awesome! My stiffness goes away immediately. I do that about 3 times a day.

3) Ice. I ice my IT band after I come back from a run. So every night.

4) Less running. I've cut my mileage down from 40 miles a week to 20. My long run went from 12-20 miles to no more than 6 miles. It's a little humbling, but it's worth it. I've been doing more speedwork to make it feel like I'm actually doing something on my weekday 2-4 mile runs.

5) Good rest. I walk around a lot at work and it makes me really stiff. On the weekend, I don't do anything real physical and just hang out on the couch. My leg feels 10X better the next day.

That's about it. Nothing magical.

I was in physical therapy at

I was in physical therapy at my university for a sore kneecap and IT band after a brutal trail race series (I took the downhills and switchbacks a bit too hard!)

I, too, went in with my Vibrams on just so I could lay down the law from day one. The therapist gave me the usual spread of suggestions at first - those knee problems are due to overpronation, you need 'good' shoes with 'good' cushioning, etc. I smiled and said that I really doubt the human body needs any of that, since modern running shoes have been around for just a few decades. Despite our differences, he was instrumental in getting me back to running and left me with a number of good stretches and strengthening exercises.

I saw him a few months after my last visit at a grocery store and he told me he had read a couple of articles in major medical journals showing that motion control shoes caused injuries and that barefoot and minimalist running reduced impact forces on the body. He said that he's in the process of converting his treatment and therapy. From what I understand, he has ditched suggesting orthotics and anything but thin, neutral shoes.

PT's are medical people. I think as more studies are done that show that minimalist running reduces injuries, more of them will change their views. That, and exposure to people who are barefoot/minimalist runners.

My podiatrist's PT was

My podiatrist's PT was writing a school paper on barefoot running when I was seeing him. I was definitely a good scenario case as I fixed all my really bad pronation problems with BFR. My chiro has been awesome, awesome, with the barefoot running, encourages me to do the treadmill exercises in the office barefoot.

That's a great story,

That's a great story, Blue.

It's good to find open-minded medical professionals, and you're fortunate to have found one, JSchwab. Now it's my turn, dabnabbit! ;-)

saypay45 wrote:Better

saypay45 said:
Better stretch. The common stretches for ITBS suck too, especially the one where you cross your legs and then bend to the side. The one that worked best for me was where I would lie on my side parrallel with a wall. Then I put my foot against the wall with my leg slightly bent. Then I would try to straighten out my leg without pushing myself backwards. Works awesome! My stiffness goes away immediately. I do that about 3 times a day.

Any chance of a picture? My foam roller is being shipped to me with the rest of our stuff and my ITBand is starting to get stiff. I'd love a new stretch, but I can't quite wrap my brain around what you are doing.

Here's a hot chick doing the

Here's a hot chick doing the stretch (got the pic online)

me2.jpg

The only difference in my stretch is that I put my extended foot against the wall instead of just letting it hang there. You get a deeper stretch by putting your foot against the wall with a slightly bent knee, and then trying to straighten the leg all the way. It's seriously awesome.

I don't have a routine. 

I don't have a routine. I use the above stretch (see hot chick) when the old IT feels too stiff. Otherwise I don't put a lot of faith in stretching. I use it just to feel better. Another stretch I like is this one:

IT-_band_exercise.jpg

Man...there are a lot of hot chicks doing IT band stretches online.

I don't put a lot of faith into the standard IT band stretches (i.e. cross your legs while standing and lean). That stretches your IT band mostly by your hip. Most IT band pain that I've had has been in my knee, and that stretch doesn't reach there.

I reach the ITB at the knee

I reach the ITB at the knee doing the standing cross leg thing.