what do you think of this argumetn of going barefoot can you give me help with opinion?

thank you very much skedaddle, i mean it was in general but that long message above about the web antibarefoot i was suggested to make, being ignored hurted haha

Well in several of your responses you stated that you didn't know, or that they had a good point, or even contradicted yourself that barefoot is always better because you said on some terrains shoes have a purpose. So your not making a great argument there. Rick doesn't really need anyone standing up for him but many of us would say he is very experienced barefoot runner and barefoot in much of everyday life. He and many of us just use shoes as tools. Like you say, when the terrain is such that the foot may need protection. Much like you might wear a hat to block sun, or a coat when its cold, or a glove. I try to be barefoot whenever I can and have run 2 marathons barefoot. But I wear shoes most of winter, and when I need protection. For example right now I am renovating the half of my house that is over 100 years old. I have torn down plaster walls and ceilings. There is 100 years worth of mouse and rat poops everywhere. Fiberglass insulation everywhere, nails, maybe lead in the paint dust. I think I'll keep my heavy steel toed boots on. But I take them off as soon as I am done.

Going back to your original post though...

arent shoes deforms the toes and weakens the whole foot tendons muscles etc
yes

Sometimes. But 'shoes' is a very broad term. There are certainly many options out there that do not do these things.

isnt going barefoot develop perfectly the foot as it is designed to develop?
yes

Agreed. However most of us have already worn shoes most of our life and already have unnaturally developed feet. Going barefoot can still be better in many cases, but we arent going to fix our feet that already are rounded like the one in your avatar on the right. My big toe and little toe are already curved in a little, as most here probably are. Its unlikely unless your still a child that these will grow back to 'natural'.

are there risks as stepping on cristals, nails and worms in infected soil(but very rare in most places)?
yes

doesnt dogs have practically the same risks in going shoeless with cristals, nails and probaly worms than us?
yes (my dog in 4 years cutted with cristal once and stepped in 1 nail)
I think the risk of stepping on things is way overblown. I pay a lot more attention where I step barefoot than I ever did with shoes. I step on less bad things. Last year someone I work with stepped in dog poo and didn't realize it and tracked it in all the way through parking garage at work, into the building, up 4 floors, and into the office. Gross. even if he stepped in it barefoot he would have immediately attempted to clean his feet and probably wouldn't have tracked it in everywhere. Of course the sole of a regular shoe is more protection from cuts and scrapes, but this extra protection is only beneficial in some circumstances. I have got a few uncomfortable splinters from thorns and other unknown tiny objects, but overall this is very minor. Worse thing I've stepped on was probably barb wire from an old fence that was laying on the ground, and the barb penetrated into my heel around 1/4" but caused only slight discomfort and no bleeding since my heel was very thick and tough. I've stepped on a nail before wearing regular shoes that made me bleed when I was a kid.

arent cars risky? doenst everyday dies a lot of people in cars?
yes

why it is encouraged then to use them if they have so many risks?

arent the beneficts inmense in using a car for travelling 100km compared to travel 100km walking and avoiding the minimun risks of cars?

isnt that analogous to going barefoot?

also, why people let dogs walk shoeless if its so risky?

I don't relate barefoot to cars that way. Cars are almost required to function in modern society, unless your are fortunate enough to live near everything you need, and in those cases some people do live without cars. I relate cars more to shoes. I don't need them, they in many ways complicate life so much, are very expensive and wish I didn't have to use them so much. As for dogs, it is 'normal' for dogs to be shoeless even in our modern society. Their feet are very tough and used to it. The problem with people wearing shoes is that it has become the normal. Peoples feet have gotten weaker, and unhealthy. And most people today are too lazy or wimpy to toughen them back up. The most common thing I hear from people who are amazed I can walk around barefoot is that their feet are too sensitive and weak. Either they just don't realize that the shoes caused it, or they are unwilling to go to the temporary inconvenience of strengthening them. Also many people seem to care a lot more about fashion than function and would gladly cram their deformed feet into a pair of expensive designer high heels. Two women here at work are always talking about their new shoes and outfits. They have complained to me a few times how my minimalist shoes look hideous and ask why I would want to wear them. Its like they have no idea that fashion isn't whats on everyone's mind all the time.

I like a lot of the things you think, and wish today's society here was much more accepting of barefoot. But sometimes shoes can be good tools when they are needed or benefit us in certain ways.

im surprised, such big response i liked it tristan, ill answer you thanks for your time im like this
angry_with_pc.jpg

haha

here comes the answer lets duel

no i didn't contradict tristan i think, it's better in majority of terrains, however in terrains in which shoes are better they protect but their desing deforms ur feet whilst protecting for surface, weather etc unless.. no no unless because vivobarefoot, sockwa etc deforms the toes like the rest of the shoes so...

Rick doesn't really need anyone standing up for him but many of us would say he is very experienced barefoot runner and barefoot in much of everyday life
i know, he asked me to answer the web and i did it

2 marathons? thats remarkable, i admire that

Sometimes. But 'shoes' is a very broad term. There are certainly many options out there that do not do these things.

no, always, a l w a y s

there are no good shoes, first the shoes people use are bad designed and hurt feet

seconddd the special shoes smart people use are bad designed too haha, vivobarefoot = a little narrow toe box (unless is bought in a much bigger size), sockwa = narrow toe box haha, the shoe that fit like a sock hahahahahahahhahahhahhah like a sock hahahahah, altra have a wider toe box but still a little bit narrow it hurts i bought them, maybe vibram five fingers maybe?

maybe 5 fingers are the only that respect?
the rest are useless

Agreed. However most of us have already worn shoes most of our life and already have unnaturally developed feet. Going barefoot can still be better in many cases, but we arent going to fix our feet that already are rounded like the one in your avatar on the right. My big toe and little toe are already curved in a little, as most here probably are. Its unlikely unless your still a child that these will grow back to 'natural'.

indeed, but it strenghts the muscles tendonds right? and posture probably, at least it stops the deformation, i mean u can't get more bunions once u stopped using shoes

I think the risk of stepping on things is way overblown. I pay a lot more attention where I step barefoot than I ever did with shoes. I step on less bad things. Last year someone I work with stepped in dog poo and didn't realize it and tracked it in all the way through parking garage at work, into the building, up 4 floors, and into the office. Gross. even if he stepped in it barefoot he would have immediately attempted to clean his feet and probably wouldn't have tracked it in everywhere. Of course the sole of a regular shoe is more protection from cuts and scrapes, but this extra protection is only beneficial in some circumstances. I have got a few uncomfortable splinters from thorns and other unknown tiny objects, but overall this is very minor. Worse thing I've stepped on was probably barb wire from an old fence that was laying on the ground, and the barb penetrated into my heel around 1/4" but caused only slight discomfort and no bleeding since my heel was very thick and tough. I've stepped on a nail before wearing regular shoes that made me bleed when I was a kid.

i agree, well dog shit is more a nasty thing, pee a nasty thing etc and not a health, unless u step on cristals covered in poo maybe haha,

i remember, i had a friend, a he stepped into a vertical cristal (horizontal cristas don't cut, only tiny and vertical)
and the cristal glass penetrated his nike thick shoe and cutted 2cm, what happened with the superpowers of the shoes that prevents people to step on glass?

my dog stepped on a nail once too, and on glass, but i didn't wanted to put shoes on him after that, only those 2 in mroe than 3 years of daily walks

I don't relate barefoot to cars that way. Cars are almost required to function in modern society, unless your are fortunate enough to live near everything you need, and in those cases some people do live without cars. I relate cars more to shoes. I don't need them, they in many ways complicate life so much, are very expensive and wish I didn't have to use them so much
no i mean it was more an analogy of a trip more than a car for the job

u don't need a car to go to thailand and you can't avoid the risk of die in the car, how many people die in cars? very much
you avoid risk and u go without risk of die

but, you go walking and it takes months to reach thailand, it's exhausting it takes too much time etc only to avoid a minimun risk

u can go with shoes and avoid those phamtons "glass" "poo" "nails" etc those minimun risks that are very very little in majority of places the same u avoid the risks of travelling with car
but u miss a lot of benefits that going barefoot have, u develop strong healthy feet, and also avoid having the feet more deformed

however u pay the price of having ur feet deformed if u use shoes, so the analogy is not good there maybe? maybe it would like to walk for months to thailand throught very poluted cities that hurt the lungs, its much better still unhealthy to have poluted lungs than to crash with car and die

The problem with people wearing shoes is that it has become the normal
tradition yep

Peoples feet have gotten weaker, and unhealthy.
yep

And most people today are too lazy or wimpy to toughen them back up.
i disagree, going barefoot is fun, its easy to toughen them back up

The most common thing I hear from people who are amazed I can walk around barefoot is that their feet are too sensitive and weak.
just the firsts weeks, foot toughens fast

Either they just don't realize that the shoes caused it, or they are unwilling to go to the temporary inconvenience of strengthening them.
they afraid and disinformated also, the fact taht podhiatrists say its unhealthy doesnt help "u get fungus, u don't get any support" etc
strengheting is easy

Also many people seem to care a lot more about fashion than function and would gladly cram their deformed feet into a pair of expensive designer high heels.
yep, but many surpringsinly they don't want to acept heels deforms, or at least some, i heard in a web that sara jessica parker told that her feet deformed because of heels and the comments were like: "oh, but surely was because she used a bad size, smaller" with plenty of positives etc
haha

Two women here at work are always talking about their new shoes and outfits. They have complained to me a few times how my minimalist shoes look hideous and ask why I would want to wear them. Its like they have no idea that fashion isn't whats on everyone's mind all the time.
yep so much people want fashion, i mean i like beautiful clothes everyone does but im not so stupid as to wear fashion that deforms my body, also brainwashed some of them by so much publicity, capitalism

I like a lot of the things you think, and wish today's society here was much more accepting of barefoot. But sometimes shoes can be good tools when they are needed or benefit us in certain ways.
tradition, the same its unnaceptable for woman to go without a burka, or to use a car, in some countries, the same it would be unthinkable 60 years ago to wear a bikini in a beach, or being gay (alan turing was castrated by UK gobernment for being gay!!!), or a black person to enter some stores or restaurants that only allows white
ha!

they are tools against extreme weather, can be tools with nails, vertical and tiny glass, and rare infected soil that put worms trhought skin, but those are very rare only tend to be in third world countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot#Health_implications

it was awesome that u answered me tristan, i tend to feel ignored, even in a recent post, compilation of photos, a guy told "there are too much like this posts in other webs already" and even had 1 like whilst mines nothing -.-

Probably directed at me. Sorry for not replying, I do have quite a life besides this forum, I check in, but don't post as often as I used to. I don't have anything personal against you, I just didn't find your answers worth discussing. In many ways, we have the same views. I am barefoot the majority of the time, check some of the barefootedness threads. I don't like narrow shoes and cringe at high heals, but I don't think there is any evidence that shoes ruin your feet or cause other problems. A few pictures and TJ's case (sorry TJ, I have been on here long enough to know of your ordeal) aren't enough for me to be anti-shoe.

As for the "not getting enough likes", I don't know what the big deal is. At times you sound like a grade schooler. Good luck in your search for a barefoot friendly place, but a lot of it has to do with a positive attitude. bye
yep i get a little upset because no one replied, but not only for this in more posts too, and as i said i dont care too much about likes but being ignored yes

however u asked me to answer the web and i get annoyed when no one cared

waht happened to TJ's case rickwhitelaw?

hahahahahahahhahahahahahah lol sometimes maybe hahahah i write dumb things hahah but im serious when barefoot post i write, also i write like this i know how to write better, many grammar mistakes i make i make so to write faster, other times cause my english is not perfect yet

tx, mostly has to do with tolerance of people, wouldnt be reckless to go to some parts of arabia for a woman without a burka wouldnt be?

here comes the answer lets duel

There is no duel, and I'm not as well versed in the scientific papers that support barefoot or shod, so I am merely giving some opinions.

no, always, a l w a y s

there are no good shoes, first the shoes people use are bad designed and hurt feet

seconddd the special shoes smart people use are bad designed too haha, vivobarefoot = a little narrow toe box (unless is bought in a much bigger size), sockwa = narrow toe box haha, the shoe that fit like a sock hahahahahahahhahahhahhah like a sock hahahahah, altra have a wider toe box but still a little bit narrow it hurts i bought them, maybe vibram five fingers maybe?

maybe 5 fingers are the only that respect?
the rest are useless

You can't dismiss all shoes as too narrow if you haven't tried them. Vivobarefoot makes dozens of models have you tried them all? My Vivobarefoot Ra are much wider than my toes, there is plenty room to spread them, so I say for MY FEET Vivobarefoot is not too narrow and does not deform my feet. Our feet are going to vary in shape and size, some may have feet far enough outside the normal that no standard production shoe could be wide enough. Other with narrow feet could probably happily fit in many shoes. Yes I have 5 Fingers as well and they are wide enough but width isnt the only issue and I don't particularly like them although for just walking around they are ok. Soft Stars have some very wide models, and huaraches/sandals I don't think will deform the feet.

indeed, but it strenghts the muscles tendonds right? and posture probably, at least it stops the deformation, i mean u can't get more bunions once u stopped using shoes
I don't think anyone here on this site would disagree with you. Barefoot should help muscles, tendons, posture etc.

Bunions... I've never had one. And I've worn shoes my whole life nearly all the time until my 30's. And deformation is caused by long term use of constricted shoes, and people are most susceptible at a young age when the feet are developing. I don't think there will be any perceivable deformation as an adult if I just wear shoes as tools when they are needed a very small portion of the time. Of course I would rather not, but then I might not be able to do the things I want to do or risk unnecessary damage to my feet that would be far worse than wearing a shoe for an hour or two.

i disagree, going barefoot is fun, its easy to toughen them back up
I was speaking for most people. And going through the process even for me was not easy or fun. It was a couple months of coming back from very short jog with red burning soles. People vary a lot, some, especially those who already go barefoot occasionally might be much easier and quicker to toughen feet. Other like me who always wore shoes even inside my own home will take a lot longer. It was probably 6 months of constant training to be able to do barefoot what I could when I was in shoes, and even then I was slower. About a year of constant barefoot training I was surpassing what I could do shod and having more fun. Now its really fun!

yep so much people want fashion, i mean i like beautiful clothes everyone does but im not so stupid as to wear fashion that deforms my body, also brainwashed some of them by so much publicity, capitalism
But many people are brainwashed or place fashion as more important. People have their own desires, that is there choice. A walk around town will show that very very few people here place personal health as the most important thing. This is very sad, but that is the way many are.

they are tools against extreme weather, can be tools with nails, vertical and tiny glass, and rare infected soil that put worms trhought skin, but those are very rare only tend to be in third world countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot#Health_implications
Agreed. I have no experience with infected soil. But 'extreme weather' and nails and such are going to be a fairly common part of many peoples lives including mine. I think the important thing is to go barefoot as much as possible and only use shoes as tools when they are needed. For some people, in moderate climate, who don't do consturction or in dangerous conditions then they may be able to go barefoot all the time. But for me personally, I wear shoes when it's below freezing (except doing a run in good conditions I can go down to around -10 to -15 C for short duration, but out weather often gets much colder down to around -20 to -30 C) or when there is great risk from tools like chainsaw or when I am working under heavy objects I wear steel toes, etc, and at the office I wear Vivobarefoot or Soft Star Dash, and when in restaurants or shops or on rough gravel I wear huaraches/sandals in good weather.

You can't dismiss all shoes as too narrow if you haven't tried them. Vivobarefoot makes dozens of models have you tried them all? My Vivobarefoot Ra are much wider than my toes, there is plenty room to spread them, so I say for MY FEET Vivobarefoot is not too narrow and does not deform my feet. Our feet are going to vary in shape and size, some may have feet far enough outside the normal that no standard production shoe could be wide enough. Other with narrow feet could probably happily fit in many shoes. Yes I have 5 Fingers as well and they are wide enough but width isnt the only issue and I don't particularly like them although for just walking around they are ok. Soft Stars have some very wide models, and huaraches/sandals I don't think will deform the feet.

no, ive seen them, i bought 2,

yes? i'm impressed, i had room in one of vivobarefoot because it was 4 sizes bigger, are the vivobarefoot u use of your size?

some models are or most models narrow, not as narrow as normal shoes, wider, but narrow, the same a fat isnt slim when compared to a very fat person, still fat, not as fat, way slimmer but not slim still fat

those so big would be a minority, normal shoes doesnt respect normal feet so the big feet example is irrelevant
no, modern shoes deform toes even with "narrow" feet, its not exactly a narrow toe box, its a rounded-triangular whatever shape toe box, human feet have different shape

soft stars? never heard of them ill search
yes huaraches/sandals are great they respect feet, however i personally have a problem with flip flops lately, they hurt my second toe, is that normal?

I don't think anyone here on this site would disagree with you. Barefoot should help muscles, tendons, posture etc.

Bunions... I've never had one. And I've worn shoes my whole life nearly all the time until my 30's. And deformation is caused by long term use of constricted shoes, and people are most susceptible at a young age when the feet are developing. I don't think there will be any perceivable deformation as an adult if I just wear shoes as tools when they are needed a very small portion of the time. Of course I would rather not, but then I might not be able to do the things I want to do or risk unnecessary damage to my feet that would be far worse than wearing a shoe for an hour or two.

the thing about bunions is not all and nothing, thats a common mistake, there are a lot of degrees of what can be called bunions, i dont have bunions as some girls have, but i have the big toe twisted in a degree, thats bunions, not as much as others but bunions

analogy of the fat, there is no very fat-slim, no there are very fat, fat, kind of fat, little bit fat, slim

i agree the smaller the time the less the deformation is simple,
i mean u could wear shoes without any problem, shoes that respect your feet 100%, but those shoes are almost nonexistent, i would say only huaraches similar respect 100%, the rest are bad designed

people can deform their feet in adult too, not only kids, kids are more easy to deform but adults too

I was speaking for most people. And going through the process even for me was not easy or fun. It was a couple months of coming back from very short jog with red burning soles. People vary a lot, some, especially those who already go barefoot occasionally might be much easier and quicker to toughen feet. Other like me who always wore shoes even inside my own home will take a lot longer. It was probably 6 months of constant training to be able to do barefoot what I could when I was in shoes, and even then I was slower. About a year of constant barefoot training I was surpassing what I could do shod and having more fun. Now its really fun!

oh true, i mean i thought u said more of simply going barefoot, run barefoot could be probably tougher to adapt as u well said, u wore shoes at home? what u think of it now? i wore them too lol at home

But many people are brainwashed or place fashion as more important. People have their own desires, that is there choice. A walk around town will show that very very few people here place personal health as the most important thing. This is very sad, but that is the way many are.

true bro

however many people are lazy, no willpower, why u think there are so many people that fail at a simple thing as to lose weight, or stop smoking etc, or training, even if many werent brainshaded they wouldnt achieve much health healthy lifestyle

Agreed. I have no experience with infected soil. But 'extreme weather' and nails and such are going to be a fairly common part of many peoples lives including mine. I think the important thing is to go barefoot as much as possible and only use shoes as tools when they are needed. For some people, in moderate climate, who don't do consturction or in dangerous conditions then they may be able to go barefoot all the time. But for me personally, I wear shoes when it's below freezing (except doing a run in good conditions I can go down to around -10 to -15 C for short duration, but out weather often gets much colder down to around -20 to -30 C) or when there is great risk from tools like chainsaw or when I am working under heavy objects I wear steel toes, etc, and at the office I wear Vivobarefoot or Soft Star Dash, and when in restaurants or shops or on rough gravel I wear huaraches/sandals in good weather.
[/QUOTE]

i have, i swimmed in dirty water 2 worms entered the skin of my face o.o, i thin should be analogous to infected soil similar

yes our feet arent designed for cold weather, nor our bodies

-10-15 thats awesome, i admre that, -20-30, i feel bad for u, my country is around 0 degrees in winter, i would hate to live in a -20-30 climate

yes,

cool

Reactions: Tristan-OH