Weekly mileage, w/e 5-22/23

mokaman

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Georgia
Barefoot - 7.5 miles trails, 6.5 miles pavement... 14 total

A good week even though a bit low on the mileage, probably my new normal 10 - 15 miles a week.

Sunday 11 mile  long

Sunday 11 mile long run

Monday off

Tuesday 8.5 mile tempo run

Wednesday 6.5 mile easy family run

Thursday 8 mile negative split/hill run

Friday off

Saturday 11 mile negative split run

A big part of my marathon and ultra training is negative split, out and back long runs. Its also been helplful for transitioning to BF as the return trip with faster pace makes me concentrate on form even though I'm starting to get tired.

45 miles last week...50 this week, including starting two-a-days.

One (1) measly, miserable,

One (1) measly, miserable, painful, torturous mile! Still recovering from surgery. Sucks!

TJ, so sorry it's been a hard

TJ, so sorry it's been a hard recovery. Hoping for a speedier recovery!

Last week I didn't get much for miles at all, life just sort of got in the way of things.

4miles total, all in one shot on Tuesday

Ouch, TJ, that stinks to the

Ouch, TJ, that stinks to the max!

I'm finally back this week, after low miles following the marathon in March, the ultra in April, and DDs wedding, this has been my first week of running in ages and it got off to a slow start.

Wed 5 mi.

Thurs 4 mi.

Sat 7 mi.

Sun 4.2 mi.

All barefoot, so my feet are getting back up to specs. Sunday was a little rough, could have run farther in shoes, but since I'm trying not to push this weird knee injury I decided to listen to my feet and go home. My knee is getting much better, although I'm not sure it is ITBS anymore. The ITB stretches and exercises weren't helping, but when I expanded to a full range of leg stretches it started improving. Also seems to matter how I have my leg bent when I sit at the computer, :p

I did 9 miles, 3 each on M, W

I did 9 miles, 3 each on M, W & F, pretty much all on sidewalks and asphalt with a little dirt thrown in for good measure. lol

Yeah, Mokaman, what's up? 

Yeah, Mokaman, what's up? Everything okay?

Get well soon, TJ.

I got in 27.9 miles last week - barefoot except for ~ 5 in huaraches.

I signed up for a triathlon at the end of June, thinking that after the 1/2 marathon, I'd be burnt out and want to scale back on the running. But that hasn't happened. I've been above 25 mpw since the 1/2. Yay! But since I've added biking and swimming workouts, too, I'm crazy hungry and eating everything in sight.

I started triathlon

I started triathlon training , I have to put running on the backburner since I'm swimming and biking 2 - 3 days a week.

I am running at faster speeds to make up for the lower miles though. I'm doing the shorter tri races with my son, barefoot in all of them... thats my plan. A lot of the triathlon racers are real gadget hounds and barefoot is a big contrast but vibrams are catching, may actually see those in the races.

mokaman wrote: I started

mokaman said:
I started triathlon training , I have to put running on the backburner since I'm swimming and biking 2 - 3 days a week.

I am running at faster speeds to make up for the lower miles though. I'm doing the shorter tri races with my son, barefoot in all of them... thats my plan. A lot of the triathlon racers are real gadget hounds and barefoot is a big contrast but vibrams are catching, may actually see those in the races.

This is what I should be doing, too, but I'm not. I'm doing my first triathlon (sprint) on June 20th. While I love the swimming, I discovered that I do not enjoy the biking. AT ALL. So I haven't been doing anywhere near enough of it. Unless I develop a better attitude about the bike, I think this triathlon may be my first and last.

mokaman wrote: I started

mokaman said:

This is what I should be doing, too, but I'm not. I'm doing my first triathlon (sprint) on June 20th. While I love the swimming, I discovered that I do not enjoy the biking. AT ALL. So I haven't been doing anywhere near enough of it. Unless I develop a better attitude about the bike, I think this triathlon may be my first and last.

SillyC wrote:While I love the

SillyC said:
While I love the swimming, I discovered that I do not enjoy the biking. AT ALL.

I'm right there with you on that one, SC. I got excited about Triathlons last year and joined a club, but the bike riding just isn't my thing at all. And, although to do enjoy swimming and got my crawl technique down pretty well, I'm just sooo s l o w.

So... I'll just stick to my running :)

only 23 miles ending Sunday, hope to get into the 50s by the middle of June and see where I can go from there - BF/MR, of course!

BFwillie_g wrote:SillyC

BFwillie_g said:
SillyC said:
While I love the swimming, I discovered that I do not enjoy the biking. AT ALL.

I'm right there with you on that one, SC. I got excited about Triathlons last year and joined a club, but the bike riding just isn't my thing at all. And, although to do enjoy swimming and got my crawl technique down pretty well, I'm just sooo s l o w.

So... I'll just stick to my running :)

only 23 miles ending Sunday, hope to get into the 50s by the middle of June and see where I can go from there - BF/MR, of course!

I'm cautiously optimistic that I may turn the corner with the bike. I used to love biking. I bike to work a few days a week, and I love that. But I have not enjoyed the 12 mile bike rides.

The swimming has been a shocker for me. I was on a swim team when I was ~ 14 or so, and I was horrible. But I hopped in the pool and discovered that I can swim a 1/2 mile in about 15:30 - MUCH faster than I could swim when I was young and training. That isn't exactly fast, but it isn't slow either.

SillyC wrote:I'm cautiously

SillyC said:
I'm cautiously optimistic that I may turn the corner with the bike. I used to love biking. I bike to work a few days a week, and I love that. But I have not enjoyed the 12 mile bike rides.

The swimming has been a shocker for me. I was on a swim team when I was ~ 14 or so, and I was horrible. But I hopped in the pool and discovered that I can swim a 1/2 mile in about 15:30 - MUCH faster than I could swim when I was young and training. That isn't exactly fast, but it isn't slow either.

Thats fast swimming for no training, I'm about that speed at my peak in the shorter races. I hated swimming and started triathlon for motivation to swim more...I was incredibly slow at first but now I like it since I can swim about 3 times faster than when I started.

I'm hot and cold about bike riding, really like mountain bike riding but I'm slow...Road biking is not as fun but I'm way more competitive at it than mountain bike racing. I go in spells where I don't ride for a couple months then start to like it again. You could try to find someone to ride with to help keep motivated.

I also like doing some running right after bike riding which seems fun to me, you should practice that some before your race so its not a shock to you.

Are you going to do the run part of your race barefoot?

mokaman wrote:  I also

mokaman said:
I also like doing some running right after bike riding which seems fun to me, you should practice that some before your race so its not a shock to you.

Seems fun to me, too. I heard it was supposed to be "hard", but for me it feels like starting a run already warmed up. The first time I did it, I blasted off the bike at my fastest 5K pace, and it felt easy.

mokaman said:
Are you going to do the run part of your race barefoot?

Of course! And the swim part, too.

I determined that my bathing suit won't chafe during the run and the bike, so I'm going to be running and biking in that. Still trying to decide whether to put shorts on or not. I suppose I should just so I have somewhere to put my number.

Yes and sitting around is

Yes and sitting around is making me fat and lazy! Sucks!