Top of Michigan 100k Ultra and Team Relay

dirtdemon77

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
Save the date...October15th, for the first annual Top of Michigan 100K Trail Ultra and Team Relay. This race is run the the beautifully maintaned North Central State Trail, from Gaylord Michigan to the tip of the Lower Penninsula in Mackinaw City. The trail is flat, scenic, and easy to follow. This will be a fantastic ultra for anyone looking to try their first 100K. The course is a crushed limestone railway that is wide and smooth. Since its an old railroad grade, the few hills you find are very gradual. The trail is definately barefootable. I ran the first test run last summer, in a pair of vff classics, with no foot issues at all.

If your not into an ultra, then try the team relay. Teams of six will race from town to town. Relay legs will vary in length from 5.6 to 16.3 miles. So put a team together and have some fun.

Check out the website or drop me a note if your interested in more info.

More details on the race will be available after March 15th.

http://www.trailscouncil.org/100k

Ooooohhh! Sound great! I'm

Ooooohhh! Sound great! I'm from Gaylord so that sounds like a cool event to start there. Goig to mark my calendar and plan on at leas trying to get on a relay team!

On the radar waiting for

On the radar waiting for further details. Thanks.

Maybe I should just run the rails to trails from Big Rapids to Gaylord for a warm up. ;-).

sounds like fun, though a bit

sounds like fun, though a bit far.. and no idea what things will look like that time of year yet.. I KNOW I won't be ready for the full distance, but maybe a leg on a relay team if I can get up there...

been working on getting a

been working on getting a team together for this one. I couldn't do it solo and don't know anyone who could do it with me as a 2 man, so my wife and I are wrangling friends to try for a 6 person team. We know several 5k type runners from up there, but the only longer distance runners we know are local to Kalamazoo (and thus not exactly interested in driving up there for a long race). I'm super excited about the race (being from Gaylord) so hopefully I can get some people locked in before too long. the nice thing is the price doesn't go up until September so at least we have a little time to organize. ;)

here's a link to the description of the 6 sections: http://www.trailscouncil.org/trail/north-central-state-trail-gaylord-mackinaw-city?quicktabs_10=2#quicktabs-10

Oh that sounds like a blast!

Oh that sounds like a blast! I have a cabin in Vanderbilt so I know the area somewhat.

I wanted to do the Detroit Marathon on the 16th but if I could join a team and run a marathon length leg I'd sign up for it!

I ran the course last August,

I ran the course last August, to help Top of Michigan Trails get the ball rolling for the race this year, and let me tell you, this trail is awesome. It is the best of both worlds. Its a safe, scenic trail race where you don't have to dodge cars and mailboxes while running for hours on the shoulder of the road. Yet a lot of the trail can be seen from the shoulder of the highway, and easily and safely accessed by crews and teammates at many crossroads and roadside parks. There are a few stretches of the trail where runners will be isolated and on your own, but they only last a few miles.

The relay also has something for everyone. The shortest leg is just over 5 miles long, and the two longest are 11 and 16 miles. The towns along the trail are all behind the event and, weather permitting, the fall colors should be spectacular.

Oh okay. Well if she wants in

Oh okay. Well if she wants in all to be family then that's fine.

I posted a topic on the MI chapter page to see if anyone was interested in a 2 person team with me. This will give me the chance to run longer then the 6 person team would.

Dirtdemon- Are you willing to

Dirtdemon- Are you willing to run half of it? I am looking for another person to do the 2 person team with me, and can't find anyone, tho Smelph is still questionable.

If anyone is interested please let me know!

Ok, finally! Here is the

Ok, finally! Here is the course description for each leg of the ultra. It also includes my comments on each section as I think I am the only fool they could find to test run the course on a beautiful, 90 degree August day. The course record (if you can call it that) is 13 hours 52 minutes. Since the weather in October shouldn't be anywhere near that hot and humid, I'm sure it will be lowered dramatically this year. If anyone has any questions about the course, just ask. I live about 10 miles from the trail, and run different sections of it quite often.

GAYLORD-MACKINAW CITY TRAIL (62.2 miles):

This is a multi-use rail-trail that has a ten foot wide packed crushed limestone surface.. From Gaylord the Trail heads north through Vanderbilt, Wolverine, Indian River, Topinabee and Cheboygan before heading west into Mackinaw City. It goes through varied terrain including rural agricultural areas, through Mackinaw State Forest, along the Sturgeon River and along the shores of Mullett Lake. There is an approximate 770 foot gradual elevation drop from Gaylord to Indian River. Trail segment descriptions are below:

GAYLORD TO VANDERBILT (7.6 miles):

This section of trail goes through rolling farmland with excellent rural views and through two trail tunnels on its way to the small village of Vanderbilt. Parking is available off Fairview Road in Gaylord at the Fairgrounds property or at the Soccer Fields or on Village streets in Vanderbilt.

Pat says: Since I ran the course in reverse order, this was the finish for me, making it a very welcome and exciting part of the course. Going north out of Gaylord will be a gradual downhill through small farms, and quiet rural neighborhoods. Reaching the second tunnel that takes you under Old 27 brings you on to a long, level straight stretch of the trail that brings you into the quiet town of Vanderbilt.

VANDERBILT TO WOLVERINE (10.9 miles):

This is the most remote section of trail including a four plus mile stretch with no road crossings or development. The trail goes through the Stewart’s Creek Marsh and crosses the Stewart’s Creek. This is an excellent wildlife viewing area in elk country. The trail crosses the Sturgeon River twice and the West Branch of the Sturgeon River once before arriving at the Wolverine Village Park with parking and facilities available.

Pat Says: This is the stretch that I was worried most about when running south, as there is a long portion of this trail that is very isolated. It can’t be reached by road. It begins when you cross Alexander Road, north of Vanderbilt, and is inaccessible until you reach Trowbridge Road, just south of Wolverine, so make sure you have all the supplies you want when you leave Vanderbilt.

This section also covers some of the most scenic and diverse landscapes of the entire race.

WOLVERINE TO INDIAN RIVER (9.6 miles):

The trail parallels the Sturgeon River with many outstanding river views and crosses the river once near the Rondo Access Site. The trail also goes through Haakwood State Forest Campground before arriving in Indian River. Burt Lake State Park is less than a mile from the trail at M-68. Parking is available along local streets or at the Township’s Marina Park Property

Pat Says: It was a hot August afternoon, with temperatures above 90 when I pushed through this stretch. There is a gradual up-hill leaving Wolverine, but as the race in on an old railroad bed, all the elevation changes are very manageable. This leg of the trail is situated between South Straits Highway (Old 27), and the West Branch of the Sturgeon River. There are plenty of small crossroads such as Scott, Rondo, and White roads, where crews, teammates, and spectators can offer encouragement. It the weather is right, enjoy a refreshing dip in the Sturgeon River at the Park off Rondo Road. Its one of my favorite spots on the whole trail…a great place to rejuvenate tired legs. If your in need of a calorie fix, the trail passes right in front of Indian River’s Burger King just before you reach the halfway point.

INDIAN RIVER TO TOPINABEE (5.6 miles):

The trail takes users through the heart of the small town of Indian River and then crosses the Indian River as it makes its way north. This short section of trail provides wonderful views of Mullett Lake and takes runners right into Topinabee. A Township Park near the former depot, now a library, has parking and facilities as well as a nice picnic area and swimming beach.

Pat Says: A wonderfully short leg that leaves the halfway point behind as it takes you under I-75 and cuts north east towards the Grandview Beach area of Mullet Lake. The trail drops away from Straits Highway for a couple of miles, before rejoining it just south of Topinabee.

TOPINABEE TO Cheboygan (11.9 miles):

This section takes you through historic resort areas along Mullett Lake and across Mullett Creek; there are many outstanding lake views and access points. Parking and lake access are available at Inverness Township Park in Mullett Village.This rural section takes you through farmland and forest. It crosses deep swales and passes by a buffalo farm before heading into the City of Cheboygan. A large trailhead facility is being built at the intersection of Lincoln and Taylor Streets and will have parking, bathrooms, and water available.

Pat Says: Gut check time. There is a small gain in elevation from Topinabee to the north end of Mullet Lake, and getting to the checkpoint in Cheboygan will seem a lot longer than the 11.9 miles on the map. Once you pass the Mullet Lake Country Club, then cross over Straits Highway, it feels like forever before you reach the checkpoint. There are several road crossings between Straits Highway and the trailhead where crews and teams may want to stop and encourage their runners. Cheboygan is also the only part of the trail where you have to pay attention to the signs, as there is an intersection on the trail that will take you north east towards the marina instead of northwest towards the finish.

CHEBOYGAN TO MACKINAW CITY (16.6 miles):

This long section of trail parallels US-23 through both cedar and upland forests. The trail takes you right by Mill Creek Historic State Park and an incredible view of the Mackinac Bridge. An MDOT roadside park across the highway from the trail has facilities and lake access. Parking is available at the Mackinaw City Trailhead of Shepler Driver.

Pat Says: Again, when I did this, Mackinaw is where I started. It was 6:30 in the morning, it was cold and rainy, and I had a new running companion, so we were still early into the story telling/getting to know one-another phase, so this part of the run just flew by. Once you leave Cheboygan, the trail is flat and tucked nicely in the pines along U.S. 23. It’s a fun leg, and a great way to finish, as your crews and teams will be able to see you from most any point on the highway. Again, there are many small crossroads that make meeting up with your crew easy and safe.

This section is a perfect example of what makes this trail ultra so unique. Most trail ultra’s are plunked down into the most miserable, unreachable terrain imaginable, making them a mental and physical challenge for the competitors, as well as spectators, fans and crews. This trail give you the sense of being miles out in the back country, while allowing crews, teammates, and fans a chance to actually watch you at more than just the checkpoints. I almost forgot to mention, the race ends right in front of The Mackinaw Crossings Mall.

Sorry dmc, but I'm doing the

Sorry dmc, but I'm doing the full. I did the test run last summer, so I'm pretty much already committed. Good luck finding a partner. If I hear of someone in need, I'll let you know.

Oh man this race sounds

Oh man this race sounds amazing!! That's fine dirtdeamon, I really hope I can find someone! I want to do this run very badly and it woul dbe so awesome to see all the sights.

I have never saw/heard of a crushed limestone path, how barefootable is it?

It's hard and smooth, like

It's hard and smooth, like good asphalt, but it has small stones on the surface, and some can be sharp. It's very barefootable, especially If your doing the relay. If your doing the full ultra, it may be a little tricky to stay focused late in the run, and running in the dark can make those small stones a real hazard. I did it in a pair of vff classics and was amazed at how good my feet felt and looked at the end. only two small blisters after nearly 14 hours of running, and that included running thru a 2 hour downpour early in the day, and a cooling soak in the Sturgeon river at just over halfway.

That's awesome! Yeah BF for a

That's awesome! Yeah BF for a 100k would be difficult no matter the terrain. I usually carry my KSOs with me, and I'll be starting in my hurraches as soon as it warms up.

Pat thanks for your

Pat thanks for your descriptions of the different sections.

DMC I will make my decision on whether I will commit to the full sooner than later. I am nursing a pulled hamstring right now and will see how things feel over the next couple of weeks before laying out a training schedule one way or another. If I do not think I can properly train for the full I would be up for teaming up. I would like to run at least half and would prefer to run the legs consecutively.

Here is a post by LPJ with his experience with crushed limestone. I will more than likely run in my Trek's or something.

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2010/07/03/barefoot-running-on-crushed-limestone/

Sole_Foot thanks, I hope you

Sole_Foot thanks, I hope you do feel better and can heal quick!

That link definitely help, so it probably wouldn't be wise to do it all BF then.