The Barefoot Running Movement: We Need to Change with our Audience

Some thoughts on our movement and how we're perceived by the rest of the world:

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/01/04/cautionary-tale-for-barefoot-runners-dont-become-an-apple-whack-job/

Synopsis for those that don't want to read all of it:

The audience we spoke to in the past is different than the audience we're starting to see now. We used to be crazy genuises, but we're increasingly becoming crazy zealots. If we want to continue to be a relevant part of the move toward natural running, we need to understand our audience.

Thoughts?

I agree completely

I agree completely Jason.

Many of us have crossed paths with the reformed ex-smoker/militant vegetarian/etc., many of whom can be very strident in their attempts to reinforce not only the difficult decision they have made but to convince others to follow them over from the dark side.

While discussing the topic to develop a better sense of how we are perceived can only help, likely it will just take time for BFR and BF runners to mature. Many people don't realize that thinking "my way is the right way"is the first and best way to ensure that no one wants to listen to you.

Wait... We have an audience?

Wait... We have an audience? I'd better clean up my act!

I don't talk to people about running bf very often unless I'm asked. Even then I just casually explain my thoughts on it, and if they seem interested then I go a little further in depth with it. So far I've had one person actually interested enough to give it a try and I've met him a few times since then and he's in love with running all over again, and he's been running non stop for almost 40 years!

I do agree that the mentality that BFR is superior to shod running, or that its the cure all is a little off putting (although it may be true.... Lol)

Personally I'm perfectly fine with people thinking I'm just some nut case. Better to be thought of as ignorant than to open my mouth and prove it, right?

I tend to agree with one of

I tend to agree with one of the comments in the link. I started going barefoot as a way of life, because it felt so much better to me. Then later, as a result of being barefoot most of the time, I started looking at running barefoot. I have never been interested in running before, but being barefoot actually got me interested in living a more healthy lifestyle, getting into better shape, which of course led me to looking into barefoot running.

I'm certainly no innovator, and probably not an early adopter since I just started out BFR a few months ago. But I wouldn't consider myself part of the early majority, either, since I think you probably mean that group to be people who are already runners and have plenty of shod running experience, and are just now thinking of and looking into BFR.

So, yeah I'm not really sure what group I fall into. And I haven't really been asked about BFR by anyone so not sure how I would talk to someone about it. I can't tell any stories of how BFR relieved all kinds of trouble I had when shod running, because I've never been a shod runner, either.

Well, I think it's to be

Well, I think it's to be expected that people with evangelist, zealot-tendencies will be attracted to something as non-conformist as barefoot running (either that or the Tea Party). So, there's probably only so much anyone can do to rein in the more extreme personalities, and of course they're the ones who every else takes note of (compared to our more level-headed ambassadors like Chaser).

Kind of like the same issues churches and political parties deal with all the time ...

Ok, now I'll open your link, Jason, lol.

Yeah... what I said. There are going to be a lot of people who just can not follow your four guidelines, no matter what. They may read your blog and nod entusiastically at everything you say, and then go out, charged with new, well, enthusiasm (need a synonym here) to spread the word ...

Btw, I ran a 5k in NY over T-Day mostly barefoot and got quite a few friendly comments along the way. Not sure what you're doing wrong in that regard ;)

Here, I think you made some

Here, I think you made some mistakes in your typing. You said:

If the Early Adopters see the idea as something that will fit within their world view, they will likely test it out. If they like it, the idea spreads farther. If the Early Adopters are turned off by the fanaticism of the Early Adopters and Innovators, they’ll ignore the idea and it is forever relegated to the few that are willing playing the “outcast” role.

I think you meant to say:

If the Early Majority see the idea as something that will fit within their world view, they will likely test it out. If they like it, the idea spreads farther. If the Early Majority are turned off by the fanaticism of the Early Adopters and Innovators, they’ll ignore the idea and it is forever relegated to the few that are willing playing the “outcast” role.

You might want to fix that.

Who is this "we"?We aren't

Who is this "we"?

We aren't all fanatics incapable of engaging with others.

Oh, wait! Maybe you aren't talking to me.

Just messin' wit ya! (mighta

Just messin' wit ya! (mighta been the IPA.)

As for Rocky (and Bandera), I'm out. Just starting back to running this week after suffering a blowout in my "good" foot. Should be good to go for Green Jewel and Fools Run; nothing long until May (maybe).

We fear change!  It burns

We fear change! It burns us!

Honestly, if we were all conformists worried about what those who want to critisize witout first educating themselves think, we'd all still be in shoes. I don't judge or push my views beyond my belief that we should wear or not wear whatever we like, so long as it doesn't get in the way of good form. Consistency, I feel, is more important than tayloring any "message" to the fickle public. Keep the boat steady and if they wanna jump on, they can.

Personally, I'm a regular participant in the local running club, my wife is even the PR director. I do the social runs with the local RunOn store on Wednesdays and shock at my feet has turned into, "Oh, that's Jonny...he's our barefoot runner." Most of them even rattle off the all the benefits when a new commer questions my sanity! I guess I'm saying, I'm resolved to just stay me and let them be them. In fact, most people are more interested in how my heart rate training is going and don't even acknowledge my feet anymore.

IDK...maybe I missed the point...

-Jonny

Jason,Id like to

Jason,

I’d like to respond back to your post, because I think I disagree with your approach, though I want to say up front that I respect you as a runner and an advocate for barefoot running.

What bothers me is that I think you are constructing what is called a ‘straw man’ argument, which means that your main ‘point’ is something no one would really disagree with: That we barefoot runners shouldn’t be assholes to people. I don’t think anyone on the BRS would disagree with that statement, nor do I think any barefoot runner would identify herself as “fanatical” or rude, or overly zealous. That is, nobody really thinks they’re being as rude as what these shod runners seem to have claimed to you.

What bothers me about proposing that we shouldn’t be assholes/fanatical/rude is that there’s an assumption that we are assholes/fanatical/rude, both by you, and by the shod runners you talked to in this race. I’m curious why/how you took these people at face value. That is, I’m genuinely curious about what they said about what they supposedly rude barefooters said to them. I only say this because it has been my experience, and others on this site, and you (like when you ran Burning River-you mention some guy in your write up about that being really rude to you) that shod runners can be really rude and/or at least inconsiderate, and that the number of rude shod runners vastly outnumbers barefoot runners period, much less whatever supposedly rude people exist in our tribe.

For example, in many races I’ve run, I’ve had people literally talk behind my back, thinking (maybe? but maybe conscious of it?) that I can’t hear them if they’re ten feet behind me. Or the guy who ran up next to me in a 10K and said, “Are you born to run?” And laughed. I don’t know, I just didn’t find that funny.

I could go on. In fact, one last example: People that start a ‘conversation’ with something like, “So I’ve heard about this barefoot fad...” Implying by the use of “fad” that they already kind of think it’s a silly idea. Perhaps that’s a teachable moment. Perhaps, in ideal conditions, I would be willing to engage with someone like that, but to top it off, their timing is not necessarily good: Many times I’m on the tail end of a marathon, or trying to run really fast in a 10K, when comments happen, when I really have better things to worry about.

I’m wondering if these runners you talked to in the race perhaps approached barefoot runners in a non-tactful manner and/or if they were a little distracted.

I actually do admit, when someone is a rude to me, it’s hard not to give a little ‘dig’ back. I would never be rude or ignore someone who came to me with genuine curiousity and politely initiated a conversation (assuming I wasn’t on Mile 40 or a 50 Miler or something). The worst I ever get is when I feel someone is being a little smartass-y and passes me saying, “How’s your feet?” My reply is something like, “Fine. How are yours?” Because I feel that it seems pretty obvious that my feet are ok, otherwise I’d stop running.

Now if someone wants to argue that saying “How’s your feet?” is actually friendly, well, it just never seems that way. Maybe I’m a little defensive, but it’s hard not to be when people say some fairly hurtful things about me. I can handle someone saying, “That dude’s crazy!” and take it as a sign of respect, but if someone says, “I don’t know why anyone would do that” instead of maybe asking me why I do it, well then, I’m feeling judged. I would just like to be treated with respect.

I also have an issue with the diagram you use to demonstrate how an idea is accepted by the “majority.” That is, it sounds interesting, and may be true, but I’m not sure it’s absolutely true. What the source for this “diffusion of technology” chart? Is it really accepted by experts in the field? Or is it something you came up with?

I’m actually even willing to believe it’s in part true, but I think there are a lot more factors than just how people talk about an idea, as to whether it becomes popular. Another big example I can think of is marketing by corporations. Remember that in Born to Run Christopher McDougall proves fairly conclusively that Nike manufactured a demand for ‘running’ shoes.

I return to the idea that I started on: that I feel you are implying that we barefoot runners are either the problem, or else somehow morally obligated to act in a certain way. I don’t think anyone is going out of their way to be rude to shod runners. I don’t see us barefoot runners as doing anything wrong. My experience has actually been that going barefoot kind of angers and confuses some people, and as a side note I think that has something to with people’s core beliefs being challenged: If running without shoes is in fact ok, and even fun and healthy, then who knows what other beliefs people have might be true? They may have to start actually questioning. The horror.

Nor do I really care about the early or late majority’s opinion. I run barefoot because it feels good to me. I do think barefoot running is good for people. I would recommend it. But I’m not shouting it from the rooftops. Nor am I telling people they’re idiots for using Nike shoes.

Nor to I feel I need to modify my behavior in order to keep barefoot running alive. The best way to show/teach someone something is by being a model. If someone wants to (in a friendly manner) talk to me, excellent, but I’m not an extroverted personality like I suspect you may be (Which is good. You’re a good ambassador!). I like running because it’s a solitary activity, and is really a form of meditation for me.

I’m sorry if this comes off as very strong. Something in your post really resonated with me, and made me think about how I think about barefoot running, and for that I thank you. I would welcome any thoughts you have on what I've written.

Again, you are an awesome runner (shod or bare) and you’ve done more to introduce the idea of barefoot running than maybe anybody. I hope to run into you at some races this summer.

John

www.johnyohe.com

www.johnsbarefootrunningblog.blogspot.com

I hear you John.I agree so

I hear you John.

I agree so much with what Jonny and John have said here, Jason. Most of the time, you and I see eye-to-eye on subjects. This is one area where I get your point, but I don't necessarily agree with it or feel the same as you. Sure, we shouldn't be assholes to each other. Who doesn't get that? Anyone who has allowed the polish to wear off gets this. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but what I took from your article was that your stance is more about the term "Barefoot Shoes" and urging barefoot runners to start adopting the term in order to be seen as more open and friendly to the rest of the running world.

I told you before that the terminology "Barefoot Shoes" can be a good thing and a dangerous thing: a good thing in that the term draws more people toward heathier running shoes (and as you've said brings credibility to our way of running); a dangerous thing in that true barefoot running gets a bad rap everytime a minshoe runner gets injured and tells their doctor they were running barefoot. These false and misleading reports are starting to add up, and the medical/podiatry world and shoe manufacturers are starting to believe that barefoot running is the problem. How many times have you talked to someone who said they were running barefoot in Vibram FiveFingers? I have lost count myself. There's proof of the brainwashing taking place right there. We as role models should not be trying to brainwash people into believing they are running barefoot when they have something on their feet. Using the term blurs the lines. Sure it makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy, but drugs do too. Both, in this case, can be dangerous. Since I cannot change the fact that the term has stuck, as I have a responsibility to this community, I will always stand apart to remind everyone that minshoes are just that, shoes; they are not running barefoot when they have something on their feet. I have come to tolerate others using it because the term does contain the word "Shoe," but that's as far as I will go with it.

You can find assholes on both sides of the fence. I don't think barefoot runners adopting this term is the answer. I don't think it will heal all evil. What we need is to find a different way of being more open to our shod brethren. Perhaps we should start seeing one another as individuals, so we can begin to judge each other as individuals, not as a group.

So. Am I a bad barefoot running ambassador?

I have seen people on both

I have seen people on both side, but have met a lot of the barefoot fanatics Jason talks about. I run mostly barefoot now, but I have been around other barefoot runners who immediately look down on me if I have a minimalist shoe on that day. I think he is just saying we should be a little more diplomatic than many of us are and realize ours is not the only solution. I don't think the argument works that shod people are jerks so it negates Jason's argument. Even though I have had very few experiences with that and more of people comlimenting or being cool to me about it. I honestly have delt with more barefoot people who were rude to me because of my footwear than shod people who were rude to me when I'm barefoot.

I haven't had much of either

I haven't had much of either myself. Mostly, I choose to ignore the looks or comments. What I choose to do instead of retorting is smile and wave. That's what barefoot runners can do to help put barefoot running in a positive light with those shod runners who are uncomfortable with our way of running. We've been brainwashed for so many years into thinking that wearing shoes was healthier for us, that wearing shoes was required. Now, we are challenging that thinking by breaking tradition. Understandably, it's going to take some time for the shock to wear off. What we are doing isn't "normal" to mainstream society. (Although what we are doing is very "natural.") We can help this process along by remembering to be kind to one another and respect one another regardless of what someone chooses to wear or not wear on their feet.

I think a lot of people

I think a lot of people misunderstand the entire issue. I had quite a few people bring up the number of people injured when using minimalist shoes. My whole point is to change that by injecting our knowledge into that demographic.

Why do people get hurt in minimalist shoes? They don't know how to use them.

What's the solution? Education.

How are they going to get said education? The vast majority aren't going to seek us out. That's the point I make of the difference between the Early adopters and the Early Majority. Most of the people that start today aren't interested in research- they just want some vague benefit and have no idea how to get it. Manufacturers are starting to provide education, which is huge! Had they done that in the first place, more people wouldn't have gotten injured.

Why does the term barefoot shoes matter? Because it gives us DIRECT influence to provide the education needed. How many manufacturers link to the BRS? Are they doing it to gain marketing cred? No. They're doing it because they know we know what we're doing. We have an opportunity to be at the helm of this changing paradigm. We have an opportunity to bring ou message to the entire running world- not just a small self-selecting group.

I get annoyed with this because people in the community have long complained about being marginalized as weirdos, but don't (or won't) recognize we have a golden opportunity to be real instruments of change. This is our opportunity to TEACH all runners. Isn't that the very reason we formed this group?

We have a chance to make a lasting impact on the entire frickin' industry... but we balk for a variety of reasons. I suspect a lot has to do with the continued "shoes and shoe companies are evil" crap that's still peddled. People aren't being brainwashed- they're just not receiving education. The industry recognizes this and is actively working to develop education. We're so shrouded in that "us versus them" idea we don't recognize the industry is looking to us as the experts- they want to learn from US so they can help their customers. THAT is the hidden value in the adoption of the term "barefoot shoes."

We have two options-

1. Be a part of this changing paradigm that's already reached critical mass (and will continue to grow without us) and take advantage of our unique position and teach an entire industry and potentially help MILLIONS, or

2. Keep up our evangelical preaching and continue to influence a few thousand people.

Look, I was able to convince people in the shoe industry to support the idea of learning good form while barefoot. The effects of that have been tremendously positive. I've been able to teach FAR more people than I could have by writing rants on my blog or posting on forums. I want to give others that same opportunity. Read through the BRS mission statements. If we're going to accomplish those last two, this method offers the greatest impact.

To John specifically- My post seems to have been interpreted by some as a "barefoot runners are rude" thesis. It's not that at all. My point is some barefoot runners take a fairly extreme stance (ALL SHOES ARE BAD) that turns off barefoot-curious folks. As the idea of barefoot running expands, the demographic is changing. That's the nature of the spreading of ideas. The people that pick up ideas in the begininng have a fundamentally different personality than people that pick something up after it reaches a critical mass. Many of us that are interested in spreading this idea have taken a rather extreme approach. My point is simply that our extreme stance doesn't play well to the next wave of barefoot-curious people.

[sidebar- Diffusion of innovation is a widely held theory described by Everett Rogers in the 60's; it's used widely in sociology and business]

I spend a lot of time with barefoot runners, minimalist runners, shoe store owners, and people in the shoe industry (designers, markets, PR people, etc.) All I can say is we make a lot of assumptions about all those crowds that's flat-out wrong. Furthermore, if our goal is spreading the word, we're not even close to reaching our potential.

My hope in that post (and other related posts) is to convince a growing number of people to take leadership roles in spreading the ideal of barefoot running. We have tremendous potential strength as a grassroots organization, and I want us to be able to leverage that to reverse the ideas behind the "modern" running shoe.

Okay, I'm done now.

On a different note- John, will you be at Woodstock again this year?

I knew this would touch a

I knew this would touch a cord with you, and I knew the brainwashing comment wouldn't be taken well by you, but it was the most accurate word I could find, and I felt I should be honest about this topic and share what I am feeling and thinking on this subject. We aren't always going to agree on every issue. We work well together over the these past years. This was bound to happen. It doesn't mean we come to a halt, that this topic is impassable.

The vast majority aren't going to seek us out.

US, as in the BRS? And who will handle this increase in growth should that change? This will always be the case, since we have years and years of shoe unwinding to do. Most people are going to continue to run in boat anchors, be oblivious to the alternatives, and be perfectly happy doing so. The tides are changing, but, understandably, they are very slow.

Why does the term barefoot shoes matter?

The reason the term was coined in the first place was to jump on the barefoot running bandwagon. Let's not forget that. It was/is used to recruit those who were interested in barefoot running but not wanting to go all the way. So now those of us who do go all the way should use it too, when it threatens the very sport we are trying to support, when the term was ill-conceived in the first place?

How many manufacturers link to the BRS?

Do you have that list handy? Care to share? Last I checked, Merrell removed the link to the BRS on their "barefoot" page (long ago), so apparently, they don't think the same way you do. Maybe you can get them to add our link back.

This is our opportunity to TEACH all runners. Isn't that the very reason we formed this group?

One of the many reasons, and a very important reason, yes. But do we compromise our values and jump right back on this bandwagon while risking the very thing we know to be true to be ridiculed and dismissed, mostly by those believing that barefoot shoe injuries are the same thing as barefoot injuries?

I suspect a lot has to do with the continued "shoes and shoe companies are evil" crap that's still peddled.

You think that's what I am doing here, Jason? Do I not state over and over again, just as you have, that shoes are to be used as tools, when needed, as needed? Did I not spend countless hours creating the Shoe Review Guide, the Product Review section, and supporting the Gear & Footwear forum? Do I pedal that crap?

People aren't being brainwashed- they're just not receiving education.

The term "Barefoot Shoes" itself is brainwashing. Point-blank. As a psychology teacher, I know you can see this.

Keep up our evangelical preaching and continue to influence a few thousand people.

No one here at the BRS does any evangelical preaching that I know of. No one here preaches that shoes are evil. We are very supportive of minshoes. We are supportive of both barefoot AND minimalist running. Notice I didn't say barefoot shoe running. We possibly support minimalist runners moreso, since the need seems to be greater there, the need in trying to remind people to develop proper form first before donning footwear and to avoid the TMTS mistakes so common in minfootwear.

As far as reaching just a few thousand people, we are growing by leaps and bounds just the same. We get approximately 2 million hits on our site each month. We have nearly 30,000 unique viewers each month. Our audience is far larger than our registered member database of 4,000. We are growing at a capacity we are able to handle. Any faster, and we will have to seriously reorganize our structure and filing status. This may always be the case though since I predict that during my lifetime, I don't see minshoe running being more prominent or even equal to traditional (conventional) shoe running. That's the nature of this beast. We are a small niche because the popularity of our sport at this time is small.

Man.... You guys are getting

Man.... You guys are getting WAAAAAAY to serious for this kid!

No worries, TJ.  The blog

No worries, TJ. The blog post wasn't directed at the BRS (or my post above.) The BRS has, in my opinion, toed the line perfectly. I understand why some barefoot runners want nothing to do with shoe companies. The frustrating part for me are those that claim to want to educate others but fail to recognize this opportunity. I do disagree that this movement is growing slowly... it is moving FAR faster than almost everyone realizes. I made some predictions in a meeting once that barefoot/minimalist shoes would make up half of the market by the end of 2013. Ideas don't spread in a linear fashion; they spread exponentially. There's a whole lotta momentum going right now and this whole thing will hit a tipping point very soon (probably by this summer.) Once that happens, the idea spreads like wildfire.

A few years ago when I was still teaching, our school received money for technology. We had a vocal group of veteran teachers that tried to thwart the inclusion of technology in all of the classrooms because they didn't believe it could be useful. After some heated debates, we eventually just gave up and didn't include the technology in their classroom.

We have a lot of barefoot runners that are also tremendous teachers. My hope would be to convince them to embrace this opportunity to reach a MUCH larger audience. In some cases I've succeeded, in some cases I've failed. I'm cool with that. There are enough people out there coaching, blogging, and teaching to fill a void.

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this. Maybe barefoot running always will be a tiny niche and I'm just delusional. I'd be willing to bet my Beanie Baby and Walter Mondale bumper sticker collection I'm right on this one... ;-)

I think people with gravitate

I think people with gravitate to barefoot running on their own. Minimal footwear is huge right now, and overshadows barefoot running. I live in CT and I am really starting to see more people wear minimal footwear at races, but barefoot runners on the other I hardly see any.

I think there will be a huge seperation from barefoot runners and the minimalist crowd, it's already starting to happen. Look at RW's barefoot forum. Seems like every new comers first post is about shoes, rarely do you see someone posting say. "Hi guys, I ran barefoot for the first time and love it" That kind of post is long gone in that forum.

Personally I don't have a problem with shoes at all, like I said a million times I ran shod in the biggest boat anchors you run in for 18 years without an injury. I ran barefoot just out of curosity and was blown away how comfortable it was, and feel in love with, pretty simple. I never talk about barefoot running with my family, or in my daily life with people. If someone starts a conversation about it, then I will chime in.

I think promoting and shoving barefoot running in people's faces may not be the way to go. Look at Kenbob back in the day, people came to him that were interested, he didn't go out seeking individuals. It's an activity that people need to come to on their own when ready, not something to be forced upon.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test