Stretching..Who Does and Who Doesn't?

All this is pretty interesting discussion. I also find it interesting the perceptions on what stretching is. The nose to the kneecap stretch Wayne described seems way over kill to me, and is a type of stretching I can't and won't do. I've said before I do a "light" stretching session before and after a run and I have done this for as long as I can remember, except that brief period of time where I tried the sock docs no stretching thing and got injured. My stretching consists of 4-6 stretches as needed and I never stretch to where it is painful (the good pain as I've heard others describe it). I do very light and don't even touch my toes, which I could do but then I would be in that "good pain" zone. Maybe what I do some of you wouldn't even consider it stretching... Perceptions are a funny thing.

Some comments were made in another thread about stretching and I didn't want to take that thread off topic. I've been running for 38 years, 13 marathons and 8 ultras. I started stretching when I started running in 1975 after reading George Sheehan's first book on running. Over the years I have been inconsistent in stretching. I probably haven't stretched regularly for 15 years. I am only aware of one scientific research study on stretching and it was inconclusive on whether stretching improved performance or prevented injury.

So please enlighten me on any studies you might be aware of that show stretching to be a beneficial practice. I am not interested in anecdotal testimonies as I'm sure there are thousands of those out there, but rather controlled scientific studies. Thanks!

If you still have questions about this - I haven't read all the replies yet - try the book: "The First 20 Minutes" by Gretchen Reynolds. She has another book with a similar title so make sure you look at the right one. (I haven't had a chance to read the second, more recent book.)

Anyways, she goes into some of the most up-to-date scientific studies and one of those is how stretching isn't necessary. At least the way most people use it. Furthermore, how it can actually cause the accidents that it is supposed to prevent.

I came across this after a friend of mine got me to start running consistently a couple of years ago. And at that time he also said that stretching wasn't necessary either - and he is BIG on taking his health and personal achievement to the greatest degree possible so he accesses some of the latest findings. Do a quick set of movements to make sure that your blood is circulating and you are ready. This is what I've done personally and it works really well. I spend maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute max getting ready. It allows me to get to my run faster and I'm happy.

The only thing I do is I cool down and stretch after because my workouts tend to be a little intense and I find that it really helps my muscles recover.

Hope this helps. Would like to hear how what you decide and how it works for you.

I sense we are coming closer to common ground in this discussion. Bare Lee and I are certainly at common ground when it comes to a choice in dogs. Yellow labs! That's either a female or an American field lab. Maybe both?

Bare Lee is right. Debatable conclusions and personal experience should not dictate truth. And doing something just because it feels good is certainly debatable. Popping my knuckles feels good, but it's usefulness is debatable.

I can also relate to Chris' description of stretching being accompanied by a yawn. Too funny.

Reactions: DNEchris
i got a different conclusion when i read the article. don't stretch cold muscles. if you do stretch, do it dynamically or just warm up slowly. if you feel the need to static stretch, do it only when warm and preferably at the end of your workout so you don't lose strength.

things i've read say that static stretching activates the stretch reflex in your muscle and will make them tight. not what you want. you have tight muscles because of weak muscles. make the weak ones stronger so there is no tightness. muscle imbalances cause tightness and trigger points. when your balanced there is no tightness or weakness, hence, no need to stretch.

You should only stretch by CONTRACTING the antagonist (opposite) muscle!!! I gave up "weighted" stretching shortly after I started minimalist/barefoot running -best thing I ever did! Now, for those of you who are going to say, "But you do yoga, Jen" - TRADITIONAL yoga is NOT stretching! It is the CONTRACTION of muscles while holding a particular pose/posture - which is HOW people get so muscular from doing yoga - it does not involve stretching if you are doing it correctly!!! That being said, modern movements have turned it into stretching - bad, bad, bad. And when you have an injury DO NOT STRETCH IT because your muscles already got over-stretched, that is how they got injured, so why would doing exactly what got it injured -make it better???

In starting this discussion I asked for scientific evidence on stretching and not anecdotal evidence. Some scholarly articles have been referenced, but mostly we are getting anecdotes.

I lost my 33-year-old daughter last year to stomach cancer. She was a good runner from the 5k to 1/2 marathon. She fought for 15 months but gastric cancers can be very aggressive. At first her oncologist was against clinical trials telling me I shouldn't "put too much faith in clinical trials." Six months later when Whitney had no other options that same oncologist said, "Well, today's treatments are clinical trials we had 10 years ago."

In Peter Larson's and Bill Katovsky's book Tread Lightly they state that when there is mounting anecdotal evidence about a particular issue or problem it could be a sign for further study. So I applaud all of you who have contributed to this discussion on stretching. Everyone's experience is valid and I can only hope that these "clinical trials" we are conducting will lead to more study that will benefit all of us in the future.

i got a different conclusion when i read the article. don't stretch cold muscles. if you do stretch, do it dynamically or just warm up slowly. if you feel the need to static stretch, do it only when warm and preferably at the end of your workout so you don't lose strength.
I agree dynamic stretching before a run is much better than static stretching, which, if done with cold muscles, should be light and brief. I've also found dynamic stretching with ankle weights to be a great addition to my strength-training routine. Those kinds of exercises also double as good ab/core workouts.

That said, I can get in a really good hammie stretch in the middle of the day with no warm-up, but I've been doing this for a very long time. I just get down on the floor, put my feet on the furniture glides and the feet and glides against a wall, or file cabinets, or something, and slowly expand the angle of my legs. I start with them at about a 90-degree angle, and then open them gradually by pushing behind against the floor with my hands, or reaching forward to grab a rope or a cinder block, until the feet are spread out at about a 150-170 degree angle. It takes about 10-15 minutes, and I read a book or something while I'm doing it. Good lord do I feel good afterwards. Maybe feeling good isn't a good criterion for deciding if something's worth doing, but ultimately most of my day's decisions are based on that very thing.
things i've read say that static stretching activates the stretch reflex in your muscle and will make them tight.
It has also been my experience that the more you stretch, the tighter you get if you don't stretch, so for folks who aren't interested in greater limberty and freedom of movement, you mis' well limit your stretching to activity-specific movements. And I think we've all agreed that for running, being super stretchy isn't necessary, although a lot of us feel that it does help prevent certain kinds of injury.
when your balanced there is no tightness or weakness, hence, no need to stretch.
I don't know about the whole muscle imbalances idea. Seems like the repetitive nature of running can sometimes really wind up the muscles, no matter how relaxed and balanced you run. And I certainly know from 30 years of on-and-off weight training that if you're not getting sore/tight, you're probably not doing anything with any real benefit. After doing sprints, I get that ST kind of soreness in my quads, but after a long run, the tightness seems more diffuse and related to the tendons.

Since this thread began, I've paid a bit more attention to what I actually do, and I've noticed that I rarely stretch right after a run. After a morning run, I'm mostly thinking about breakfast. And like Wayne, I have a fondness for a damn cold IPA after an afternoon run. It's more like a coupla hours afterwards, and then repeated as needed, that the post-run stretching comes in. It's also interesting that for the feet, I think stretching and massaging/rolling are about equally needed; for the lower legs, massaging/rolling seems more beneficial for me; and for the upper leg, stretching is way more beneficial than massaging/rolling. Ironically, I've begun to stretch a bit more pre-run since this thread has begun.

I think Jen is absolutely right, if you have an acute injury, like an actual tear, then stretching is the last thing you want to do. I think most of us who have cured our injuries through stretching are referring more to overuse injuries. I disagree that yoga isn't stretching. It's 'active' stretching, involving muscle contractions. 'Static' stretching is what most people seem to be referring to when they talk about stretching in the negative sense. It would be nice if this could always be specified. There are four kinds of stretching: active, passive, static, dynamic. Almost everyone will agree that you should not statically stretch muscles when they are really cold or injured, and I think that's what Wayne's 70s-era routine and the stocking-footed hand-job guy are referring to.

Wayne, I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a child like that.

I am so very sorry Wayne.

the consensus at the moment seems to be that stretching before training is less productive...I read that you stretch tension out of your muscle and tendons which is not beneficial and leaves you injury prone.After training (or any other time) is fine.I never stretched consistently(although I've been into martial-arts all my life)but then I always been very limber.The foam roller is something that is just starting to catch on over here...i've done it a couple of times but I'm not liking it to much.;)

but you can't just dismisss the fact that a lot of people (athletes or otherwise)benefit from the act of stretching...?Aside from pitchers,what of the other people you work(ed) with?

I would like to add this,nowadays with all the scientific research it's kind of hard to know what's what?!We having a saying here...not being able to see the woods because of the trees(if you catch my meaning).All these scientists contradicting(or at least having different results)each other.I research for myself,on myself,and it's taking a whole lot of time!You guys (the scientists) should compare more,talk to each other more or something.I mean results are results right?My view on it is that most of them just go for the money not for the research outcome...just thinking out loud.I just read timothy ferris' the 4-hour body,that's the latest and I liked it.There's a lot of research in it(any of you want the book I got it as a pdf file just let me know i'll mail it to you).I think it's great,just breeze through it and take from it what you need(works for you).I found that i can't upload it here(I get it TJ;) ) so just send me a message:D

I suspect that the benefits of stretching, like many other activities depends on the individual. Some benefit from it. In others, it's equivocal. In some cases, harmful. It might follow that research studies on the general population would be quite difficult and and expensive to conduct. Studies that are restricted to certain populations (such as those with past iniuries) may be easier to perform, but might be less generalizable to all people.

One might think of it like the equivocal studies on the health benefits of coffee, tea, or alcohol. One understands that medications are not panaceae and have specific indications, the likewise may hold true for stretching.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7