Should children run barefoot?

That's exactly what Zola told

That's exactly what Zola told me when we spoke recently. I am saddened that our children in the US aren't given the same benefit, to allow their feet to fully develop normally without confine and restraint before "having" to throw on the shoes.

Unfortunately I mentioned

Unfortunately I mentioned this topic to my wife the other day, and she practically went ballistic, saying kids running barefoot is extremely dangerous and irresponsible as a parent. She argues that kids don't watch where they're going and are bound to step on broken glass or a bee or something. She stepped on a bee as a kid and so has this image in her mind that this is bound to happen to every kid if they venture anywhere out of their own yard (or even in their yard) without shoes.

She basically said I was stupid for allowing our son to walk around the neighborhood barefoot with me back during the warmer months, even though I watched out for any hazards on the ground for him. *sigh*

PatrickGSR94 wrote:She

PatrickGSR94 said:
She basically said I was stupid for allowing our son to walk around the neighborhood barefoot with me back during the warmer months, even though I watched out for any hazards on the ground for him. *sigh*

"The Barefoot Book"....around ten bucks from Amazon.

So sorry to hear she is so

So sorry to hear she is so closed minded. Unless a child is known to have a life-threatening allergy, stepping on a bee should be the least of her concerns when it is compared to what shoes can potentially do to a child's developing feet. We are not bad parents for allowing our children to develop healthy feet. And I wouldn't say she's a bad parent for not allowing her children's feet to develop normally, but I will say she is ill-informed.

Sorry to be a poot, Patrick.

I second Board's suggestion.

Yeah I tried to argue that,

Yeah I tried to argue that, but she maintains that she has pretty normal feet and has always worn shoes, and says that most normal shoes really aren't as bad as how I'm trying to make them seem ("normal" meaning like regular "sneaker" shoes).

I have surgeries planned for

I have surgeries planned for January 6 and January 13 to remove four neuromas from my feet (two on the left first, then two on the right last). The condition is called Morton's Neuroma, and studies show the number one cause of MN is the types of shoes we wear. I didn't get this way because of living barefoot. I got this way from all the many crappy ass shoes the industry wants us to believe are GOOD for us.

Encourage your children to live and run barefoot as much as possible and only wear shoes when they are forced to. And may the choice of shoes you put on their feet be as healthy as possible. Good ole water shoes/aqua socks are by far the first, best choice and are very affordable. www.SwimOutlet.com has a lot of good choices for children, and they are in-stock all year long. So, if you can't convince her to allow them to be free and unconfined, then at least persuade her to only put them in healthy choices of footwear. She can't possibly disagree with that.

Here's a more direct link:

Here's a more direct link: http://www.swimoutlet.com/Water_Shoes_s/356.htm. I counted about seven pairs of aqua socks/water shoes on the two page returns, and lots of Croc choices. Avoid anything that has an elevated heel, which you should be able to see visually, and be sure to check them for a tight or snug toe box fit when they come in. If they don't feel right in the slightest, I would return them. When summer comes, you will be able to get to the stores and try them out in person first before you buy.

PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 said:
Unfortunately I mentioned this topic to my wife the other day, and she practically went ballistic, saying kids running barefoot is extremely dangerous and irresponsible as a parent. She argues that kids don't watch where they're going and are bound to step on broken glass or a bee or something.

Here's the deal; your wife has a few things right. For example, she's right, kids don't watch where they are going.

They don't watch where their legs are going, but more importantly, they don't watch where their heads are going. Seriously, kids run into poles, each other, fall over and hit their heads on the ground all the time if they are having fun and playing. If you're not around other kids much, have her spend some time watching kids at a playground. Even with all that safer equipment, kids find a way to 'explore.'

Well, are you going to put a helmet on a child every time that child wants to play outside? Yes? Okay, how about inside? With non padded walls and even a modest amount of furniture, kids find a way to get rough and run into things.

And what about sandals? You can get poked pretty badly with sandals.

Or is it only steel toed shoes?

My point is that kids get themselves into a little bit of trouble all the time, and you can either be hung up about it, imho, or let them do some reasonable exploring (which they will do eventually whether you allow it or not).

Anyhow, good luck with that though. Hard to convince a spouse of anything if you happen to be the other spouse. And that goes in both directions.

PatrickGSR94 wrote:She

PatrickGSR94 said:
She stepped on a bee as a kid and so has this image in her mind that this is bound to happen to every kid if they venture anywhere out of their own yard (or even in their yard) without shoes.

when i was a kid i stepped on a bee while barefoot, the key difference is i was indoors.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon