Race report: Tillamook Burn race and x-dog events in general

I've become a big fan of X-Dog events this year. They do various "adventure" races around Oregon where there is as much scrambling up 60 degree slopes and wacking through bushes as running, and they usually work in a lot of obstacles. It is nothing like "trail running" as you might know it from your local park, so your mind has to stay engaged or you'll get skewered by a nasty branch or rock formation.

The best part is there's a really positive vibe to the events.. Check out the pictures from the Tillamook Burn event which I just did... practically everybody is smiling.

(And no, neither of those people running semi or wholly nude, page 4 or 16 for the prurient :), is me. I was stuck behind the topless chick for a mile or two and can't say I was complaining, because that picture on page 16 doesn't really do her justice.)

There were some really good athletes, but nobody was a priss. As usual there was a campout/party the night before, with beer and music going to like 2am, and more beer and food after the race with some freebies from sponsors. A pretty good deal for like $30.

You'd have to be truly insane/motivated to run one of these courses barefoot. Huge sharp gravel chunks and (worst of all) recently cut salmonberry stems could really slice you open. I wore water shoes with no padding or heel but a bit of stiffness to the soles (Ahnu Deltas) and that seemed about right, and enabled me to go about as fast as I could (which was 12:55/mile... the winning time was 8:15/mile and the worst was 17:00/mile)

For some reason I lingered long after the event for the awards ceremony/raffle and found I had "won" my age division and got a ceremonial dog tag. Which only had two people in it, as this was a pretty small event, but unlike some of the "finisher's medals" I've gotten from other events, this one might not go directly in the recycling. :)

Sounds like a good time all

Sounds like a good time all around, Stomper! Got a picture of that dog-tag? Does it look like a dog-tag? That's a cute way to make medal.

There's something very funny

There's something very funny about a man in shoes and nothing else. I don't know what it is but I just can't stop smiling. Sounds like a fun race, makes me think of orienteering without a map. Less trail, more getting from A to B by the shortest route possible.

Now THAT is COOL!  Very

Now THAT is COOL! Very smart! And I bet it didn't cost them as much to make as some of those others. I LIKE IT!