People's reactions when you run

Yesterday, I was listening to another old jam, when another cyclist, this time coming towards me on the bicycle/pedestrian path on the west side of the river, said something. But it was inaudible as I had the music pretty loud.
So I took out one of my earbuds and said, "what?"
She asked, "doesn't that hurt?"
I said, "yes, maybe I should turn it down."

I stopped to buy fresh corn from a roadside stand.
The man came out and said "Hey no shirt, no shoes, no service".
Then he said "Oh heck we're outside I guess it doesn't matter".:)

Injured toe.jpgNero.jpg

Had my first run in two weeks after a collision with a rock with the big toe. It was great to get back out again. Saw lots of people and the only reactions were "Good morning", "Have a great day," and from a young lady there was a big smile and a hearty "Good morning - that is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen!." I swear Nero puffed up his chest, straightened his tail and picked up the pace!

I was walking home from work the other day and as usual I took my shoes off around the corner from the office (there's a particularly prickly patch of tarmac outside work). Anyway I babble... as I was taking my shoes on the path outside of a little park a couple of middle age ladies were sat on a bench watching me. So I finish taking my shoes off and start walking up the path the ladies start shooting very loudly at me. Having my headphones on I switch off my music to see what their yelling at me which was "take it off, take it all off, strip". Never thought I get that reaction ever!

I would've yelled back to pay up if they want to see that. Then again maybe not because older women have money.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I did a gentle gravel trail run in Central Park today and was greeted 4 times in 200 yards with the quizzical phrase "What the f***?" :)
That's the best! I wish I will get a greeting like that one day :)

Reactions: Josh16 and DNEchris
I was walking home from work the other day and as usual I took my shoes off around the corner from the office (there's a particularly prickly patch of tarmac outside work). Anyway I babble... as I was taking my shoes on the path outside of a little park a couple of middle age ladies were sat on a bench watching me. So I finish taking my shoes off and start walking up the path the ladies start shooting very loudly at me. Having my headphones on I switch off my music to see what their yelling at me which was "take it off, take it all off, strip". Never thought I get that reaction ever!

Wow!

Those Manxmaids are tough! First they shoot at you then they make suggestive, salacious even, comments.

You're very lucky!

There's a clothing optional trail race they've run for the past few years up the road from me a piece. I've not made it there myself, but from what I've heard, it's more often a case of "Put it back on! Put it back on!" at these events.

Now, if the cyclist had said, "be careful, the grass is full of bumble bees," he might've had a point.

Heh, that's hilarious.

Now, I'm not much of a runner . . . more of a hiker. But the past few days I've been walking on the all-purpose trail in Blacklick Woods (a Columbus Metropark out my way). I haven't been able to do much hiking lately, and my soles are getting a bit soft. The trail is gravel, though it's a fairly fine gravel (though one has to look out for the occasional larger piece, or areas with many larger pieces). There are some paved parts, but the gravel is still next to it. So it's a nice challenge, and good stimulation.

Anyways, there were a bunch of joggers/runners out this noontime, and it was interesting to note the different forms. Many were tromping loudly. I could tell that one guy was skidding a bit on each step, just from the sound. There was one guy who had a beautiful mostly-forefoot stride. But they all had shoes on.

But then I decided to run a bit, just to see how it went on the gravel. It went just fine (it's my lungs that aren't up to it!). But out of the 4-mile path, I ran about a mile of it. It helped that there was somebody coming up from behind me, and I just felt like showing off a bit. :shy: As he passed me (hey, I didn't say I was fast!), he said, "You're the man!"

I told him it looked more impressive than it really is. (And that is so true, isn't it?) I also told him that the feet build up just like any other part of the body, if you use them. Just like runners legs and lungs do.

He seemed to get it. (But I doubt I got a convert.)

I stopped to buy fresh corn from a roadside stand.
The man came out and said "Hey no shirt, no shoes, no service".
Then he said "Oh heck we're outside I guess it doesn't matter".:)

Oh gee. Thanks? Id have a long talk with him if he came out and said that. Starting with, "there is no LAW, so the only reason to say "no service" is because you dont want to serve me".

Reactions: Josh16
did 5k barefoot this weekend. heard a girl behind me say " .. have to watch out for nails." I turned around with a smirk and said, "really? nails?" with a bit of a tone of 'how can you even say that with a straight face?' - I was going at a 6 year olds pace, so we passed each other on the way back. She said, "hows it going" - I said, we're getting there (it had been a lot of prodding) - I wish I had commented on all the 'nails'. ;)

I was slowly passing an older woman on a paved trail last night. She was running in FiveFingers. When I was side by side with her, she said, "You know, there might be a rock or something out here." I replied with, "Yeah, that's alright. I'm pretty used to it. I like my bare feet because it feels good and my feet like to get some air." She then proceeded to tell me that a scientist invented FiveFingers because they saw that Ethopians grew up without shoes and could run really fast. She loves them because it's just like running with bare feet but the scientist made sure that sharp things won't hurt. I'm not exactly sure about her theory of FiveFinger invention but she was nice (and a little kooky ;)) and she must have been 70 years old or pretty close to it. I was not annoyed at all. In fact, I was pleasantly amused by the whole thing. Anyone running at that age is cool in my book, whether they have bare feet, FiveFingers, heavily padded Nike Whatevers or frickin' bowling shoes on.

My wife suggested to me that the next time someone says, "Hey, you forgot your shoes!" I should reply with, "At least it's not my shorts this time."

:)