Not your typical gear review, but you MUST look at this app

Supersco82

Barefooters
Jul 7, 2014
First off, I'm new here so if this is the wrong place to post this then feel free to suggest where to move it.

I'm trying to get into barefoot running (and get back to running in general), so last week I looked on the app store (iOS - I think it's coming for Android) for run tracking apps. I found an app called Zombies, run! and...it...is...so...freaking...fun.

So first off, it's a run keeper app that allows you to share your run. It can use GPS or a step counter. But it's so much more.

It's a story. An audio story where you are a runner in a town trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. There are 3 seasons of missions currently. Each mission starts off with an opening scene. Then it plays the first track of a playlist you select from your music. After each song, another scene unfolds. Each mission is about 30 minutes long, but you can enable longer missions up to an hour.

As you run (or walk in my case -- I'm training up for barefoot running), you collect supplies. These supplies can be used to upgrade your town, which you can actually see and build on the map! It's like getting constant rewards for being active and exercising! You can also set a real-world location to run to for an extra supply drop.

The best part though, is the random zombie chases. If you enable this, you will get random alerts that you are being chased. You have to pick up the pace or they will catch you and you lose some supplies. I actually find myself disappointed if I don't get chased during a mission.

There are in-app purchases for seasons 2 & 3, plus some bonus missions you can buy. Overall, I have to say it's worth every penny so far and I'm only on mission 5. Zombies, run! makes running fun. I look forward to waking up before dawn for a run/walk in the dark and I usually despise being awake before 10AM.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS