No entry at Costco

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
4 years I have been going into Costco barefoot. Today I was stopped. Two gatekeepers than a manager. Manager claimed health code. I did not want to cause a scene, I was with my son. Explained that I had never been stopped before, I was an executive member, and planned to spend about $300. Nope, no shoes, no shopping. I went to Smith's instead, never a problem at Smith's.

So my choices.

Write to management and try to get in barefoot.

Wear sandals.

Cancel membership.

I'm leaning toward canceling. I like some of Costco's items, but I don't like being told that I need shoes on, especially when the manager uses health code as a reason. Plenty of other shopping options and I will probably save money in the long run. My wife likes Costco and will probably think I am over reacting.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and Sid
I'd like to see that "health code." It doesn't exist.

For me a lot more depends on their manner of approaching me than the ignorance of their claims. I've had a number of times being asked to have shoes. Sometimes, they insist even after the discussion, but the worst for me was the time when at Winco they made it seem like it was illegal and I felt like I was going to be arrested. When I wrote to corporate then, the answers were less than honest. I have not been back to that store at all, and only to another Winco when we were out with a couple friends and the other gal wanted to make a quick stop for something. I can't remember if I just went in barefoot then. I think I might have because it was after dancing, near midnight. This might why I have started hearing rumors of my reputation from my daughters co-workers... something might have gotten around town about "I hear your mom's kind of fun!"

It was probably that particular manager or store, not a corporate thing.
I saw a guy barefoot in my local Costco not too long ago (and he was in the food section - the horrors!!).
Somehow he was let in (or maybe they didn't happen to notice)
I wonder if the membership agreement says anything about it.

Reactions: Sid
Back in March, I went to a Costco in Folsom CA twice. The first time I got in barefooted without incident and walked everywhere. Did you see me in the food section, joe? Anyway, when I went back the next week the door checker wouldn't let me in saying it was for my "safety". I wasn't going to argue so I just went to my car to get a pair of birkies.

Reactions: happysongbird
I went into Home Depot barefoot to buy flowers, nozzles, deer repellent (humane), dirt, pine bark, pine straw, a fountain, etc., and no one gave me any trouble. I had several employees helping me with finding stuff, checking out, and loading it all up too. I even got a "Thank you for your business."

I think it all comes down to the person you are interacting with, what their hang ups are, what their ill, preconceived notions are.

what safety? people wearing shoes don't get hurt? will they give breathalyzers and drug tests to check for people's safety? will everyone have to wear hard hats and steel toed shoes? the things people say.

Reactions: bobfeet
Thanks for the comments and information. I figured Sid would come up with some good links. Looks like a case of wrong day, wrong check-in lady. Can't fault her for actually reading her policy book and doing her job since it is policy. I guess I will have to deal with that, I just don't like the "health code or for your own safety" excuses. The Utah health code is nearly 27 chapters and the only mention of barefoot in a search was barefoot waterskiing.

For now, I'll keep my membership and keep trying to go in barefoot. Sundays seem to be a better day, less busy. Near closing time the the employees will be less strict, they are just wanting to get home.

@TJ - I have never had a problem in any other stores. Home Depot has only mentioned there might be a few splinters on the floor. A couple of small local stores have the no shirt, so shoes, no service signs, but have never said anything. I didn't even notice the sign until a friend pointed it out.

Rick, if you were a lady, I would say walk into Costco wearing a pair of stilettos and go right back up to those employees, then just stand around by them to see how they would react.

Reactions: bobfeet
Rick, if you were a lady, I would say walk into Costco wearing a pair of stilettos and go right back up to those employees, then just stand around by them to see how they would react.

Oh come on now ... I already have the mental picture ... Rick you've gotta go in there in stilettos :kiss:

Good idea. I've worn them once to win a Halloween contest. No, don't even ask for the pictures. Could find a pair to carry in my hand and say "these heel were killing me".

Anyway, I got rejected again. Made it past the card checker by having a cart in front of me, but the receipt checker noticed me and they hunted me down like I had a bomb or something. (I'm sure I have my picture on the wall in the employee room). Again a brief discussion and some silly excuses on their end. A male employee then asked me if there was a problem outside. Explained myself and he actually turned out pretty nice and after I explained a few things he thought the policy was silly. So maybe some progress there. So I would have left, but my friends were shopping for the next Ultra event and needed my help and I got my sandals on. I kind of gave the receipt lady a look as we left with three carts and over a $1000 worth of items.