More nonsense

Lap, apparently, MBT is in

Lap, apparently, MBT is in the anti-shoe group themselves. Looky here. Now you must admit, that is funny, right? ;-)

hero071910.jpg

Sorry TJ, can't comment as I

Sorry TJ, can't comment as I can't get the link to show.....

I'm not sure that matters though, I'm no more a fan of Muslim fundamentalists than I am of Christian fundamentalists.

Probably time for me to get my coat for the last time............Bye.........

It wasn't a link, Lap, as I

It wasn't a link, Lap, as I have the feeling you know. It was a picture of the MBT shoe with their slogan "The Anti-Shoe." Hysterical, I thought. The very shoe company you claimed I was anti-against claiming to be anti-shoe themselves. I practically fell off my chair. Sorry you don't see the humor in all that.

hero071910.jpg

But you are a fan of Buddist

But you are a fan of Buddist fundamentalism. I see.

Lap: We should be questioning running in the latest Womble Tech' shoes, MBT or otherwise, but being anti for the sake of being anti is no different to me. Again, I am doing just that...questioning the latest in footwear and not just being anti to be anti.

Lap: Live and let live... Unless it causes us injury as it has him, so he's allowed to be in the Anti-Womble shoe camp but I'm not allowed to be in the Anti-Womble camp until I've been injured first. I see how it goes now...

Did I say something wrong?? I

Did I say something wrong?? I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.

But that shoe ad is pretty much what I'm talking about. We have been programmed for so long that we need to run in "shoes", that we have "unshoes", "barefoot shoes", shoes that supposedly simulate BFR.

But I think it was Ken Bob who said that there is no such thing as a "barefoot shoe", there is running in shoes and there is running barefoot.

And I'm a part of the "now" culture as well. I wanted to run in a race today that my bare feet just weren't ready for, so I threw on my VFFs. What I wanted was to go from running shoes straight to barefoot, with no fall off of mileage or speed.

It didn't take me long (like 1 minute) to figure out it didn't work like that. But a lot of people aren't going to take a step backwards in their running training to change.

After my race today, a lady stopped me and asked about my VFFs. I was telling her how much I liked them and she indicated she might get a pair. But when I mentioned that my real goal was to run barefoot...well, I don't quite know how to describe the look on her face. But I think to her I just became an alien life form.

Last week I was in a running store, and it had been a while since I have been in one. I couldn't believe the amount of display space taken up with shoe INSERTS. I believe there is something wrong with that whole picture.

And I'm not asking anyone to agree, or disagree, with me. But I would like to think we can have differing views of something and still maintain our sense of community. Kind if a "agree to disagree" sort of thing.

I think more people will run barefoot "after" they have moved to minimalist shoes. For me, running barefoot (and the process of getting there) is a journey, rather than a destination. At least that is where I am now. :)

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate that I have this "place" where others may be going through the same stuff.

Cheers!

It's only natural that we are

It's only natural that we are all going to disagree from time to time, and that we are going to misunderstand each other now and again (especially through a medium like the Internet and when cultures vary). We don't have to grab our marbles and head home. I mean if we didn't disagree once in a while, it could get pretty boring around here.

I've noticed that these MBTs

I've noticed that these MBTs get people fired up on both sides of the argument. I just had this same debate with a gal that got them prescribed by her podiatrist. I'm sure walking on fake sand is doing wonders for her (although I don't know why barefoot wouldn't strengthen her feet in the same way).

I had to laugh when she tried to compare her shoes to my bare feet though. We talk a lot about "barefoot shoes" around here, but let's be honest. You can't wear shoes AND be barefoot. Nor can you completely replicate the effects of barefoot with anything except barefoot. You can come close...but that's all you are doing is coming close.

I'm with TJ on this one. I don't care if you wear Beasts as long as you're happy, but if I see someone I care about in these shoes I'm going to give them an ear full. These shoes don't "mimic barefoot". They alter your natural gait significantly, more than even heel striking in my opinion because they make your foot unstable and shift the load of your body to your weaker stability muscles (where it is NOT supposed to be). You're going to hurt yourself wearing these shoes...and I'm going to be the first person to say I told you so.

And I will continue to do the

And I will continue to do the same whether I have been injured by them or not. Walking in them is one thing (not that I'm saying that's good either), but RUNNING IN THEM?! I'm shocked that a podiatrist would even recommend these. I know Dr. Mike is of the mindset that barefoot is best, but I wonder how he feels about shoes like this.