Mileage Reporting 44th week 2013

9.5 km before taking the youngest out for Halloween. Temps holding steady at about 2 degrees Celcius. That takes me to over 200km barefoot at below 5 degrees for the month of October. Sweet.

Thursday afternoon
6.94 mi / 11.17 km
41 F /5 C
39 F / 3.9 WC

A rainy / drizzly day here too, but cleared to merely cloudy a few hours before my run. Was going to run out to Como Lake on my way home, but couldn't motivate--didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic noise--so just ran through the neighborhood to the jhs track, did three miles on the track, then did ten 100-meter sprints on the grass field, between 6 and 7 mm pace, and ran home.

The wet, sandy gravel of the track was a little harsh at first, and my soles numbed down a bit, but I got used to it after a few laps. Tried to run tempo pace, but the gravely sand felt too abrasive in these conditions, so I wimped out and stayed steady at a slightly fast aerobic pace.

The field had just been aerated for the season, with little holes and turd-shaped pieces of dirt spaced every foot or so, on a grid. It was an interesting sensation sprinting over them and the cold, wet grass. The first two sprints I held back a bit, to make sure the uneven surface, holes, and dirt-turds weren't going to trip me up, but then I let it rip. I love how my gait feels at that speed--so solid and smooth.

Just need to run a little more than 9 miles tomorrow for my first 40 mpw. I'm bailing on the run-commuting today. Just not up for it.

Around 4.5 miles yesterday, spent a good bit of time at the comfortably hard pace. Legs weren't super springy, but they had enough spring and I think it can be good to get some time running on legs that are a bit tired. That kind of running can reach and develop muscle fibers that don't get used so much, and developing them helps for the ends of races.

For October, I ran 20 times, 60.8 miles, and got a PR for the 5K. It was a good month of running.

Ran 9.6 miles this morning in the VFF's. Was a good run. Had not ran over 9 miles for maybe a week and was slightly tired the last 3/4 of a mile. Saw no critters but did count over a dozen candy bars that were apparently dropped by the trick-or-treaters last night in my neighborhood. Im sure the neighborhood dogs will enjoy them.

After the run I raked up 5 big garbage cans full of leaves to put in my garden for mulch/compost. Will have to till some of these leaves in this weekend - hopefully.

An hour of MovNat today, it was my first session, and this is the sort of exercise I enjoy...

learn to crawl, roll on your side, cartwheel, lift rocks, go up steep hills, all of that barefoot obviously....

Being an old crab, some of the things, I really struggle (like cartwheel, sit on your calves, etc), but I will practice that, and hopefully get better !!!

I came home like I was a kid again, covered with dirt/sand on my face, legs, arms...fun !!!!

Next time, I'll try to bring my phone and do some pictures

4 mile run at 5:00 am 55 deg., 77%rh .. skies cleared off and I saw lots of stars. nice smooth run.

Stretched out distance and time today. 7.3 miles in 1:13:58. I finished strong and weather was just about perfect for running. Feet did fine, covered areas from fairly smooth chipseal to the more stabby kind and areas of pebble wash from gravel driveways.

Got out for a 7 km barefoot run last night, 6 c, cold wind, but not too bad. got cold toes, the asphalt is cooling off!
A couple of notes... The city has decided that the early morning frost on the bridges on the bike paths require a liberal dose of small, very sharp gravel! My sole are just tough enough that I can still run on them! A good thing, considering they spread the gravel across the width of the bridge. :)
The other thing is that although the weather network said it was 6 c, my phone's built in thermometer said it was only 5 c... not sure which I should go with... The 5 degree mark would give me more winter challenge distance, but I'm not sure how accurate the phone thermometer is. I'll have to experiment.... Maybe carry a weather station on my back? :/

no running still, just walking around campus. have to have a bit of patience with students interns as they're trying to figure things out. that's ok though because i'm keeping mental notes as well. they did some graston on my calves including my fibular head and it all felt great. my ankles get adjusted and feel good until the next day. going to try waiting one more week before running. i want to change my old gait pattern and not make my condition worse.

Nick, i need a new loincloth first.

About 1.5 hours of dancing last night. I really don't know what I'm doing other than having fun, but another person, this time late 20 - early 30 something gal, came up and asked me if I am a professional dancer. Said watching me made her want to get out there, so I guess that's good. I think I need to start making some more obvious comments about how dancing barefoot makes a big difference, too. It was really crowded last night and my dear hubby was concerned about my bare feet versus the stilettos everywhere. I assured him that I am always being careful. Plus, I am very stable and agile compared to any of the shod dancers I've been around. He did get skewered by a spiked heel once. Also, one of those artificially tall gals fell down on the floor and knocked into me. He was worried then, too, but again, having bare feet meant it was hardly noticeable to me. So much stability.

Yesterday was excited to do 5 miles mostly side walk and walking path. It was the first time I caught up to a runner I often see on my route. I was able to run with him about 1 1/2 miles his average mile is 8:30 and he can carry on a normal conversation at that pace. I am huffing and puffing like pets dragon I am 5 9 and 196 about 20 lb over weight. I was winded and pushing my pace. It helped me realize that I can do more. I finished my run with out my new friend and at a 8:45 pace with 10- 20 mph wind gusts sunny yes about 52 degrees and I did five miles. This was the fastest run I have had at that distance in years. My feet are good. however I seem to be heel striking when I step up the distance. It looks like I have worn my callous down to a soft crescent moon shape on both of my bare heels. I often do that when I start pushing for speed vs my happy running pace. The streets are not wide enough to run on them safely. I opted for the side walk and 1 mile of red brick paveres full of small gravel dust and dirt.
I am getting ready for the Ragnar Las Vegas next week. Hoping to do it again 100% bare-feet to earth. Last time I started in the snow for 1/4 of a mile. I wanted to give up and put my shoes on however the support van disappeared over the hill and was not seen until I hit the sunny spots, by then I was good to go. This is a nice place to share my distance and succeed with fellow bf runners who understand our plight

Wow, I lead a pretty boring life compared to Laura. 2 miles of running without niggles. as a matter of fact I felt so good I decided to make this a fast run. I figured I was sub 9 minutes for this run. Again still running without gadgets and liking it that way, so not exactly sure of pace but it felt a lot faster than normal. Lot of frost on the grass this morning but the cold did not bother my feet, there wasn't any tingling in the feet when I came back into the house. Any barefoot running days now are pure bonus as by this time as we usually already have snow on the ground that stays until next spring. Got to like global warming.

[ENTER STAGE RIGHT, POPS HEAD THROUGH DOORWAY]

Everyone's still here? Good...

So, I was abducted by Elvis impersonators and flown to Venus where I was forced to be a towel boy at the Venutian Princesses Liquid Nitrogen Pudding Baths. It was a pleasurable working environment and I found the others to be somewhat enjoyable, but I found I missed the comforts of home (like Oxygen and gravity), so here I am. Between the travel, weightlessness, spaceship lag, and numerous examinations, I've been averaging about 5 miles ever two weeks for the past two months (or 2.5 miles a week, if you're into math). Like today, for instance: 5 miles, S2G in a shade under an hour (all that travel led to an increase in mass, as well, much to my chagrin :D )

Back to your regularly scheduled weirdness.

[PULLS HEAD BACK THROUGH DOORWAY, SLAMS DOOR, EXIT STAGE LEFT]

3.45 miles today at avg 9:48 pace while pushing the stroller. Not sure the exact numbers, but the last 3/4 of a mile or so I would guess I was probably running low 8's to maybe even high 7's. Oh, and today I also signed up for the 15k Shamrock run in March. Really really really looking forward to that race. The 6.5 mile long hill is a challenge and this year I want to make it my b***h. ;) Actually, I am just gonna have to let myself go and not wait up for Mike because once we get going on the downhill side of it Mike will probably fly by me like a crazed out of control barefoot lunatic in a loincloth with a maniacal gleam in his eyes while giggling hysterically.

A don't forget with his special "happy" leap, at the end of that hill! ;)

Today 13.4km/8.3mi along the coast (from Coogee to Bondi), and I must say that I underestimated the capacity of Australians to be up early.

I knew there was an outdoor art expo in Bondi, so the walkway would be busy, but I said, ok you just have to go early and you'll be fine....How wrong I was...

The run was hard work, the walkway was packed !!! And it was not even 8am in the morning.

Result, instead of doing about 1h15, it took me over 1h30 !!! Oh well, big deal, the view is nice, the weather is great, and I got my dose of Vitamin D !! :cool:

Yesterday was excited to do 5 miles mostly side walk and walking path. It was the first time I caught up to a runner I often see on my route. I was able to run with him about 1 1/2 miles his average mile is 8:30 and he can carry on a normal conversation at that pace. I am huffing and puffing like pets dragon I am 5 9 and 196 about 20 lb over weight. I was winded and pushing my pace. It helped me realize that I can do more. I finished my run with out my new friend and at a 8:45 pace with 10- 20 mph wind gusts sunny yes about 52 degrees and I did five miles. This was the fastest run I have had at that distance in years. My feet are good. however I seem to be heel striking when I step up the distance. It looks like I have worn my callous down to a soft crescent moon shape on both of my bare heels. I often do that when I start pushing for speed vs my happy running pace. The streets are not wide enough to run on them safely. I opted for the side walk and 1 mile of red brick paveres full of small gravel dust and dirt.
I am getting ready for the Ragnar Las Vegas next week. Hoping to do it again 100% bare-feet to earth. Last time I started in the snow for 1/4 of a mile. I wanted to give up and put my shoes on however the support van disappeared over the hill and was not seen until I hit the sunny spots, by then I was good to go. This is a nice place to share my distance and succeed with fellow bf runners who understand our plight

I predict good weather for your relay rik. Have a great race. Wave to the west when you are passing through Cedar City.

[ENTER STAGE RIGHT, POPS HEAD THROUGH DOORWAY]

Everyone's still here? Good...

So, I was abducted by Elvis impersonators and flown to Venus where I was forced to be a towel boy at the Venutian Princesses Liquid Nitrogen Pudding Baths. It was a pleasurable working environment and I found the others to be somewhat enjoyable, but I found I missed the comforts of home (like Oxygen and gravity), so here I am. Between the travel, weightlessness, spaceship lag, and numerous examinations, I've been averaging about 5 miles ever two weeks for the past two months (or 2.5 miles a week, if you're into math). Like today, for instance: 5 miles, S2G in a shade under an hour (all that travel led to an increase in mass, as well, much to my chagrin :D )

Back to your regularly scheduled weirdness.

[PULLS HEAD BACK THROUGH DOORWAY, SLAMS DOOR, EXIT STAGE LEFT]

STRANGER DANGER! In honor of Halloween, TJ let you back in for a while? Good to have you back Pirate.

Yesterday - 6 miles chip seal Today - 6 miles dirt and gravel (2 miles in Sockwas) Wanted to claim a 100% barefoot week but the Sockwa X8s arrived in the mail yesterday and I had to try them out. Sizing is a little odd. Same size as my G3s but they seem a little longer. Width is good and they breath much better. I think I am going to like them.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts