Mileage Reporting 43rd Week 2013

Slightly late in reporting, but my little girl's addiction to youtube has left me without internet for a week. THE HORROR!

On Sunday morning I escaped my First World Problems and punched out 14.6km, or a little over 9mi along the beach. Another 'longest BF run ever' and starting to sneak up on the longest run of any kind that I can remember doing. I'm trying to get into the 'long run' mindset with a view towards half marathon or maybe even something longer in a couple of years, but first things first.

As per usual, the plodding set in at around 9-10km, but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to turn things around slightly and pick up the pace a little towards the finish to scrape in with an average pace of exactly 8:00 per mile - that's a fast long run for me. I don't know if that was a second wind, or just the finish calling me at the end. I think I was getting close to the current limit of my feet at the moment though - they were starting to feel a little weary at the end and I feel like I stopped at the right time.

9+ miles on my spectacular trail! I always forget to write about what I wear on my runs, when I DO wear something. On this trail, it is my highly modified VFF bikilas. There are SUPER sharp, and rather large, rocks on it, that stab through my huaraches. I should call them my MVFFs - I cut off their tops, sides, backs, and toes. :)

1004994_10201354092469008_1745144500_n.jpg

Haven't checked in for a while, sorry. Won't report last week's mileage as per Mike's rules. I will say that I had a hike go wrong and really scared the crap out of me and my son. Every now and then that happens, even to an experienced hiker. Anyway, this week:

Sunday - crosstraining on machines. Ugh, no treadmill though, no way. Then weights. Made myself sore, tmts. Then in the evening I got home and the dogs needed a run. 5 miles shod tempo run with sprints at the end.

Tuesday - 10 miles pavement in sandals. Flared up my pf again.

Saturday - 48 mile trail run/hike. West side of Zion NP to the East side. Called the Trans Zion Trek, it has been a goal of mine for quite a while. Even though I did it shod, I give BFR the credit for getting me there. I'll try to give more details in another thread.

Whoa...48 miles...dude!

You had mentioned that PF flare-up and I have to tell you the most interesting thing that happened to me on my run today. It was a 9 miler on a moderate terrain, trail. I decided to experiment with "active muscle resting" (that's what I call it and apparently ultrarunners do weird stuff like this) by running backwards for about 20 yards, a couple times during my run (running backwards because I hate sprinting so much, which is the more common alternative). Well, the first time, nothing strange happend. The second time, O.M.F.G., I had an instant PF attack on my "less than perfect" left-side, worse then I have had the last 3 years of running! It was like an 8 out of 10 on the pain scale and I was almost about to stop running. I decided to try my "anti-niggle" squats - which, are "just wide-stance squats" -except this time, I supported myself on the way up by pushing into my quads with my arms(straightening them out at the top of the stand). I did like 20 of these. PF = GONE. Not only was it gone, like 3 other things that I didn't even really realize were bothering me were also gone -slightly aggravated achilles heel, left IT band "thinking about it", and hip misalignment = gone and/or realigned. Unfreaking-believable!!! And if I didn't have to go to work, it may have very well become my first half! Incredible!

Whoa...48 miles...dude!

You had mentioned that PF flare-up and I have to tell you the most interesting thing that happened to me on my run today. It was a 9 miler on a moderate terrain, trail. I decided to experiment with "active muscle resting" (that's what I call it and apparently ultrarunners do weird stuff like this) by running backwards for about 20 yards, a couple times during my run (running backwards because I hate sprinting so much, which is the more common alternative). Well, the first time, nothing strange happend. The second time, O.M.F.G., I had an instant PF attack on my "less than perfect" left-side, worse then I have had the last 3 years of running! It was like an 8 out of 10 on the pain scale and I was almost about to stop running. I decided to try my "anti-niggle" squats - which, are "just wide-stance squats" -except this time, I supported myself on the way up by pushing into my quads with my arms(straightening them out at the top of the stand). I did like 20 of these. PF = GONE. Not only was it gone, like 3 other things that I didn't even really realize were bothering me were also gone -slightly aggravated achilles heel, left IT band "thinking about it", and hip misalignment = gone and/or realigned. Unfreaking-believable!!! And if I didn't have to go to work, it may have very well become my first half! Incredible!

Hey Laaaydee,

I've been sold on those deep squats for quite a while. Really helps with the knees too. I guessing they helped ward off your PF with a good calf stretch. 90% sure that is where my problem is. Remember Mike digging into my calf, no pain for H2C and that is my worse situation for flareup: barefoot + road + speed. Adds a little time to the run overall, but it helps to stop for a little body maintenance and also gives you some time to soak in the scenery. Beautiful fall picture you posted.

Reactions: jldeleon
Saturday - 48 mile trail run/hike. West side of Zion NP to the East side. Called the Trans Zion Trek, it has been a goal of mine for quite a while. Even though I did it shod, I give BFR the credit for getting me there. I'll try to give more details in another thread.
Wow Rick, that's an ultra right there. Sounds like you've really arrived as a distance athlete! Hope you can keep the pf at bay.

Hey Laaaydee,

I've been sold on those deep squats for quite a while. . . . Adds a little time to the run overall, but it helps to stop for a little body maintenance and also gives you some time to soak in the scenery. Beautiful fall picture you posted.
Unless you're trying to win a race or get a PR, I think it's always a good idea to stop and sort out niggles and strains. I don't do the jump squat, but simple squating is part of my pre-/mid-/post-run stretching routine. I especially like to do it while holding onto a rail or something, and then shift back and forth, and side to side. If you don't want to stop, another good mid-run technique is to high-step or butt-kick, or even skip, especially on a long road run when the repetition and constant range-of-motion start to wind things up tight.

Rick, I will let you slide, this time, on the reporting. Laura, she begged for someone to pick on her.

more sleep, rest, rolling, eating, walking.

Reactions: jldeleon
Wow Rick, that's an ultra right there. Sounds like you've really arrived as a distance athlete! Hope you can keep the pf at bay.

Unless you're trying to win a race or get a PR, I think it's always a good idea to stop and sort out niggles and strains. I don't do the jump squat, but simple squating is part of my pre-/mid-/post-run stretching routine. I especially like to do it while holding onto a rail or something, and then shift back and forth, and side to side. If you don't want to stop, another good mid-run technique is to high-step or butt-kick, or even skip, especially on a long road run when the repetition and constant range-of-motion start to wind things up tight.

That experience made me realize I need to PROactively stop throughout my runs to do anti-niggle maintenance, rather than waiting until something is super obvious. Since it takes me 3 miles just to warm up- I'd say every 3 miles. It only takes 30 seconds, or so.

Oh and if you should hold onto a pole while doing those squats -those are the most entertaining for the general public. Lol!

Reactions: Bare Lee
That experience made me realize I need to PROactively stop throughout my runs to do anti-nggle maintenance, rather than waiting until something is super obvious. Since it takes me 3 miles just to warm up- I'd say every 3 miles. It only takes 30 seconds, or so.

Oh and if you should hold onto a pole while doing those squats -those are the most entertaining for the general public. Lol!
I don't always stop proactively, but I've developed a fair amount of confidence over this last year, especially these last few months, in identifying which sort of niggles require immediate attention, and which are just part of running on tired legs.

And yep, sometimes it's a pole. As you intimate, one of the cool things about running is you turn your whole surroundings into a big public gym. I especially like to stretch by putting my leg up on one of the river bridge's guardrails while traffic zooms by. I imagine there's at least a few commuters trying to sneak a peak up my shorts. Too bad for them I usually wear a 7" inseam.

Ahh . . . one of the (few) nice things about getting older is you go from being a weirdo to an eccentric!

I am battling the worst insomnia I have had in 15 years, which has now lead to anxiety over not sleeping. I am barely functional so exercise is not only out of the question, but I am thinking about taking an extended break. My regular 4 day break is approaching. I haven't exercised for 2 days already. Thank goodness I managed to get a doctor appointment today , I am desperate for sleep and if I get too far behind on studying I will have to drop out of school. I already had to skip 2 classes today, too tired to study at home.

I imagine there's at least a few commuters trying to sneak a peak up my shorts. Too bad for them I usually wear a 7" inseam.

Ahh . . . one of the (few) nice things about getting older is you go from being a weirdo to an eccentric!

LOL! Too funny! And too true!

Reactions: Bare Lee
announcing "i can't be picked on" means "please pick on me".