Mileage Reporting 42nd Week 2013

Took Friday off work and haven't really spent much time on a computer since. The dump:

Friday: 7km beach run followed by a surf, and then off to a fair with the family. The little one loved the pony ride and then made a nuisance of herself on the train ride, getting half out of the seat belt on the first lap and then screaming when they wouldn't take it off her. She doesn't like being held down by The Man.

Saturday: 7.5km with the local morning running club, half beach and half rougher stuff, and then a surf. Great waves.

Today: 11.5km long run. The waves near my place were quite big, so I decided to run to the Bluff lookout and check out the waves on the other side of the bluff that are usually even bigger. First half along the beach, and then I ran across a long wooden bridge to a concrete path. I came across another runner, who greeted me with the standard "Forgot your shoes?" and ran with me for a bit before we got to a set of stairs up to the bluff and he burned me off. From the stairs, it was a gravel and shell grit track up to the lookout, terrible on the feet, but the view was worth it. I love seeing the huge waves, even if I don't have the cojones to go out in them. :) I ran back the way I came, and a lady that I had passed earlier saw me on the way back. I said "Still going!" to her, and she said "You still haven't got any feet on!" which made me laugh. I started plodding towards the end, I think I finished at the right time. Went to the pool with the family in the afternoon, then took the little one out to the rock pools to look for shells. She wanted shoulder rides and wanted me to run up the stairs over the sand dune, so I guess you could add a couple of kms and a bit of S/T in there for good measure. No 'pump' to speak of.

My spreadsheet says 40km for the week for me, which is my biggest week since I started running again. Not a huge number in this thread, but it's a big deal for me.

Friday pm.
one-mile run-commute.
Top ST. Good pump.

Saturday my soles were still a bit sore, so I blew off my mezzo run, and yet another chance to get in a 40 mpw PR. Probably should've gone anyway. My legs felt close to fully recovered from Thursday's 16-miler.

I'm wondering if the strange sole sensitivity I got on that run might have been caused by some kind of chemical, like fertilizer run-off, even though I can't think of any place where it might have happened. The soreness didn't feel like the usual pleasant post-run tingle from having run on rough surfaces, and in any case the surfaces were mostly smooth (1-3 on a 10-point scale of smoothness to roughness, with granite railroad rock a 10). I also noticed a little puncture in my right big toe, so maybe I did step on glass after all. The chubby cyclist may have been right, although it probably occurred towards the end of the run, when I was running in trashy grass and weeds.

Anyhow, 31.5 miles on the week. Still not sure if all these micro run-commutes do much good, but one mile seems too short for cycling or driving.

Lee - Looks like you have some pretty good places (and scenic) to run. Its interesting to actually see the photos of the places you enjoy running. Actually I enjoy the many photos that people post on this site of their favorite places to run or hike. When you compare all of these photos there is quite a variety of terrain that people can run barefoot across. Seeing some of these photos encourages me to want to try new terrain barefoot. Would really like to try barefoot hiking sometime.

When you mentioned the part of the trail where you came upon glass, trash and rail road rock (that had to hurt by the way as that stuff is always so sharp unlike smooth river rock) it reminds me of some routes I once tried to run while spending some time down in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. For some reason there is not a lot of sidewalks in Oklahoma City. Just within the last few years it seems as though the city has been working on installing more sidewalks. One day while taking one of these routes in Oklahoma I came upon an area where the sidewalks ended so I had to run on some road which was full of junk and that's where I stepped on some glass. The glass stuck in my foot and I ended up walking (hobbling) about 4 miles back to my hotel. That was probably the day I decided to start carrying a pair of tweezers while on my runs. Especially when on my exploratory runs. Sometimes the exploratory runs can be quite enjoyable! Guess my soles where not as conditioned back then as they are now either.
Yeah, the Twin Cities are pretty well-run, kind of like a mini Scandinavia at times, with a healthy respect for greenery and recreation. No mountains or ocean though, and the winters are too long, but Dutchie's Winnipeg is worse so I won't complain too much. . . . I would still prefer a nice, compacted dirt trail over my usual sidewalks and asphalt paths, but that would involve a commute out to the suburbs or beyond.

I agree about the exploratory runs. I love the adventure of a new route, or route extension. It was great last year when I began to be able to run more than 3-4 miles regularly. That opened up new possibilities. And now that I can run 10 plus miles, I have even more options to choose from. I still wuss out most of the time and go for the most pleasant and barefoot-friendly routes, but once in a while it's fun to run in an odd jogging spot, like downtown during rush hour, or in an industrial or trucking area. I used to wander foreign cities a lot on foot during my traveling days, so this is a way to get back a bit to that spirit of adventure.

I think I first saw BFWillie post photos of some of his runs. I really like seeing pics of other people's routes, and hearing their narratives. Like you say, there's a great amount of variety out there. And the great thing about this forum, as opposed to a blog, is that it's so dialogic/conversational.

A couple tenths shy of 3 miles last night, a hair over 2 at a slow jog and the rest walking, as my final run before the race tomorrow. Guess I'm ready as I'll ever be. My biggest concern now is the temps. Just checked and it dropped another degree or two. Now its saying 36F. Quite a bit of a drop from my coldest run around 60... going to be standing around for quite a while too, corrals supposedly close at 7AM but race doesn't start until 7:30. Might have to wear socks around and look a like a goof.

Putting in some impressive weekday runs you two! I've never been able to run that much on a weekday, at least one I was working.
Belated good luck on the race this weekend!

I normally do the long run on the weekend, Saturday mornings ideally, but my wife's been taking citizen classes on Saturday morning, and once or twice I barely made it back in time to take over with the kids, so that's why I decided to go for a long run on Thursday. Plus, in order to make sure I can get back in time Saturday morning, I need to leave extra early, so that if I get overly fatigued or strained I can walk the rest of the way back. But parts of some of these longer routes may not be the safest in the wee hours of the weekend morning. A guy not too far from where my eastern long run takes me nearly got beat to death when he wandered past a gangbanger party late at night. I'm not very muggable when running--at most they would be after my phone--and I'm probably a little too big to trouble with, but you never know when someone drunk or stoned is going to decide to mess with you. Not worth the risk. I had this 16-miler in mind for a while now, but the only way to run it risk-free is during the day. Some teens threw a Molotov cocktail at a cyclist on the Midtown Greenway early one morning this last summer. Luckily they missed. Every block there's a street that passes overhead, and in the middle of the Greenway the neighborhoods get a little rough.

glad to see you're dropping the unnecessary lifts. i always cringe watching people do those behind the neck pull downs. i understand that's a useful place to carry a log or person but you don't pull them down. nor do you pull yourself up that way.
Glad you enjoyed my momentary lapse into the naturalistic fallacy. I think a good deal of the MovNat / Functional Fitness stuff is nonsense (think about it: how 'natural' is it to do more than one rep of anything?), but I'm all for preventing injury. A good friend of mine who used to own a power-lifting gym and is the co-owner/-inventor of Zubaz, confirmed that the back pull-down can tweak the rhomboids. Still, a lot of lifters, particularly bodybuilders like Ahnold, swear by them for developing the lats. Since hypertrophy isn't my goal, and injury-prevention is a high priority, especially now that the effects of aging are rearing their ugly heads, I decided the exercise was expendable. I still have lots of 'unnatural' exercises in my routine (pistol squats anyone?), but none of them are heavy lifts--they're mostly for strengthening my joints or increasing mobility.

Excellent 12 mile run at 5:30 am 46 deg., 76%rh.. saw rabbits, hawk, heard rooster crow.
this was the last run of week 9 of training. Total miles 28.

My biggest concern now is the temps. Just checked and it dropped another degree or two. Now its saying 36F. Quite a bit of a drop from my coldest run around 60...
Last winter was my second winter trying to work out the barefoot low temp thing. I ran a few times as low as a dry 36-37°F, but never more than 5 miles at a time. My feet were always warmed up ahead of time. It was always comfortable, but the surfaces were not terribly rough either. I did, however, have a problem with frost nip from dancing on a cool smooth cement floor for about 3 hours. I was barefoot and the cement never felt that cold. Judging by the general air temperature and the traffic going in and out of the house, I would guess it was around 40-45°F on the floor. My toes and the balls of my feet were injured for about a month from that. Quite tender. I even went into the house now and then, so had that warming, but apparently it wasn't enough. If you haven't run at the lower temps, especially for that distance, I would say err on the side of caution and protect your soles.

Ran the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco today. It's totally insane- I heard there were 35,000 runners. I ran it in 2:08 (unofficial) in Merrell Trail Gloves. I debated up until the last minute whether to wear shoes or not but since its started at 6:30 a.m. and I'm a cold wimp I put on shoes. It was a really strong race for me- I was running with my regular running partner who pushed me the entire race- I even had an 8:00 pace at mile 1 and a 7:50 pace at mile 11. PR for me- my first Half was 3:19 but it was an insanely hilly trail half so its not really comparable. I mean, I've improved but not that much ;). I'll try to write up a race report later.

1 mile walk while it was trying to snow today. Ankle is feeling good but the PF has tightened up in that foot, time for some heavy duty rolling and stretching. The doctor told my to wear comfortable shoes for a while, that lasted all of about 5 minutes before my arches screamed at me to loose the "support", so off the shoes went. One thing about walking STG in the cold, is not having to put on a ice pack afterwards. :D

17.4 miles on a dull, grey afternoon. 8 minute average pace, 132 AHR.

About 59 miles for the week - all barefoot.
Nice! The mileages and heart rate. Sucks about the dull and grey though. If your like me its amazing how much I fell better and energized when there is a deep blue sky, or some impressive puffy clouds, but dull and grey is just depressing. Last time I did a MAF test back near start of summer I think I was at 142 beats and around 2 minutes slower than you! It was a bit aggravating trying to do the MAF stuff, and well my HRM died so I just went back to my usual training. :p Probably need to work on it more though.

Wear something before the race to keep your feet warm...this has caused me trouble before a race. If you can start out with toasty warm feet it makes a difference for sure. Much better to look like a goof than start with half way numb toes.
Yeah, I did, and well I was still far from toasty. I'm just not used to this cold, even with heavy socks they were still numb at race start. More of that in my write up I'll make sometime in the next few days.

Last winter was my second winter trying to work out the barefoot low temp thing. I ran a few times as low as a dry 36-37°F, but never more than 5 miles at a time. My feet were always warmed up ahead of time. It was always comfortable, but the surfaces were not terribly rough either. I did, however, have a problem with frost nip from dancing on a cool smooth cement floor for about 3 hours. I was barefoot and the cement never felt that cold. Judging by the general air temperature and the traffic going in and out of the house, I would guess it was around 40-45°F on the floor. My toes and the balls of my feet were injured for about a month from that. Quite tender. I even went into the house now and then, so had that warming, but apparently it wasn't enough. If you haven't run at the lower temps, especially for that distance, I would say err on the side of caution and protect your soles.
Well I've been through two winters actually, the first winter 40 was about the limit, second winter not much less but some good days I did go mid-30's. But in all those cases that was just low mileage fun runs, not fast competition, and I had plenty off acclimation. My acclimation this year has been a few runs in the 60's, then race at 36 degrees :coldfeet: I did wear socks like I said to moka above, but to no avail (well I am sure it helped a little). I havent been able to run in shoes well, and with warm temps I havent all year, so no way I'd try wearing something to my first marathon I'm sure that would be a recipe for disaster not having training in shoes. But there is a bright side... since its just the very first cold snap I'm sure the ground has a lot of heat stored and isnt all the way down that low. The ground is going to be a lot warmer on the first 30 degree day in fall than it would be on a 30 degree day in say February. It was a bit of a struggle at first, but the feet held up fine... more on that later.

Ran the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco today...
Way to go 5t3ph! Congrats! :woot:

So I'll write up a report on the marathon, but I can say in the mean time that my first marathon was awesome! Totally barefoot, and I beat my sub-4hr goal!

Saturday - 5m, all roads near home. When I got back to my house I had 4.6 miles and had to find .4 miles somewhere..... so finished up on the chipseal alley around back (that'll straiten you out, John, Yow!!!) No pain again, before, during or after....

Today - Decided to press it. Planned on about 7-8 miler. So I took off and headed toward a park about 3 miles away, knowing I could spend a couple loops around the lake to create distance.

Run started on my normal route, then crossing our city's busy street and into the mall parking lot.... I love running on the concrete outside of store-fronts especially at strip malls, Supersmooth concrete... back onto the roads and toward the park... picked up a sidewalk I had never ran on that was rough, rough, rough asphalt, yow!!! Into the park and onto the path...

I chose the wrong day to go to Moorman Park.... today was the Tin Duster's get together... there was literally a thousand hot rods from the 20's, 30's and 40's parked everywhere..... this is the largest no-entrance-fee hot rod convention in the Midwest.... Pretty cool, but I didn't have the time to stop and admire the rusty wonders... I had miles to make. But I did have time to snap a couple pix...
TinDusters2.jpgTinDusters.jpg

Turned to head home... at 5 1/4 miles my feet told me it was time to stop or get shod.... so I put on the sock liner from my Vivo Ultras and walk/shuffled home at 13mm pace....

Had an ice bath for my feet, and then was still concerned about the spot between my heel and ankle, so i used an ice pack on that area... it was made from 1/3 cup Alcohol with 1 cup water and is nice and slushy... a PT friend told me about it. Unfortunately... I think I may have given myself a very mild frostbite on the spot... live and learn.....

ran the race this morning. jen and i got there late. surprise surprise. race is late every year so not a big deal but no proper warm up. started too fast. i thought i was about to break 50 min for a 10k but it didn't happen. i was 2 min faster than last year. but i worked way harder for it. going to try to take two weeks off from exercise to allow the body to reset then back to maf, possibly paleo.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test