Mileage Reporting 42nd Week 2013

Lee - Looks like you have some pretty good places (and scenic) to run. Its interesting to actually see the photos of the places you enjoy running. Actually I enjoy the many photos that people post on this site of their favorite places to run or hike. When you compare all of these photos there is quite a variety of terrain that people can run barefoot across. Seeing some of these photos encourages me to want to try new terrain barefoot. Would really like to try barefoot hiking sometime.

When you mentioned the part of the trail where you came upon glass, trash and rail road rock (that had to hurt by the way as that stuff is always so sharp unlike smooth river rock) it reminds me of some routes I once tried to run while spending some time down in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. For some reason there is not a lot of sidewalks in Oklahoma City. Just within the last few years it seems as though the city has been working on installing more sidewalks. One day while taking one of these routes in Oklahoma I came upon an area where the sidewalks ended so I had to run on some road which was full of junk and that's where I stepped on some glass. The glass stuck in my foot and I ended up walking (hobbling) about 4 miles back to my hotel. That was probably the day I decided to start carrying a pair of tweezers while on my runs. Especially when on my exploratory runs. Sometimes the exploratory runs can be quite enjoyable! Guess my soles where not as conditioned back then as they are now either.

Spiderweb - Are those bushfires out of control or something that is done as a controlled burn to benefit the land? Don't breath too much of that smoke.

Most of them are out of control, the weather is prone to bushfires, (not much rain in the past few months, and very gusty winds)

The breathing was pretty bad when I woke up, actually I was up at 4am because of that, but I drank a lot of water, and after a few hours it was better

A couple tenths shy of 3 miles last night, a hair over 2 at a slow jog and the rest walking, as my final run before the race tomorrow. Guess I'm ready as I'll ever be. My biggest concern now is the temps. Just checked and it dropped another degree or two. Now its saying 36F. Quite a bit of a drop from my coldest run around 60... going to be standing around for quite a while too, corrals supposedly close at 7AM but race doesnt start until 7:30. Might have to wear socks around and look a like a goof.

Then it was just a few more blocks to my house. Once home, I saw that this short-cut had left me just a little short of 16 miles,

15.95 mi / 25.67 km, to be exact.

I thought about running to the end of the block and back to even things up, but the call of a cold IPA was too great, and my respect for numerology too weak, and my soles too sore, for that silliness. Maybe it would be best to think of it as a longish 25K? A new distance PR in any case, no matter the reckoning.

Ran 20 barefoot miles this morning before work. Time was 3:09:00. This weekend is booked with family events so no time for a long run. First time I ever ran this long before work, set the alarm at 4:45am and was out the door 5am sharp. I'm feeling a little punchy at work right now, but the day is almost over.

Putting in some impressive weekday runs you two! I've never been able to run that much on a weekday, at least one I was working.

Friday 3 1/3m with NO PAIN!!!!:woot::woot: Now how to get back into the plan without hurting myself..... delays, delays....

A couple tenths shy of 3 miles last night, a hair over 2 at a slow jog and the rest walking, as my final run before the race tomorrow. Guess I'm ready as I'll ever be. My biggest concern now is the temps. Just checked and it dropped another degree or two. Now its saying 36F. Quite a bit of a drop from my coldest run around 60... going to be standing around for quite a while too, corrals supposedly close at 7AM but race doesnt start until 7:30. Might have to wear socks around and look a like a goof.
Good Luck Tristan! Stay off those feet as much as you can today....

It is hard for me to get out the door within 15 min of waking that early, let alone for a long run like that. Good job. Did you eat anything beforehand?

Thanks man, it wasn't easy. If I wasn't preparing for a marathon, there is no way I would even think about running a 20 miler before work. I didn't eat anything before the run, changed and out the door. I did bring some CLIFF shot-blocks, can't stand those things but it was all i had. The sugar always gives me some GI issues.

Reactions: scedastic
Adam,
you run 20 miles BEFORE work and then say you have no time for a long run on the weekend? damn. 20 miles is an average week for me!

Lee,
glad to see you're dropping the unnecessary lifts. i always cringe watching people do those behind the neck pull downs. i understand that's a useful place to carry a log or person but you don't pull them down. nor do you pull yourself up that way.

did 2 short runs at school. 45 min and just got in 3 miles each time including warm up and cool down. i don't have too much time for more but have to fit them in. i may even go out for just a half hour at each lunch. warm up and cool down. have to keep moving or the stress will kill me.

one guy brought in two punching bags without permission and they're trying to make him remove them. i'm sending the school an email about how thankful i am for them. they are great for cross training. can't or shouldn't just run everyday.

tomorrow is one of my yearly races. run like hell costume race 10k. no loincloth this year. it fell apart. don't have any other costume so i guess it's just my short shorts and maybe face paint, if i can figure something out.

friday night: forced myself to do a slow hour in the pool, just to loosen up and feel better. worked.

saturday morning: 8 mi, sandals, light mist to rain, temps in the upper 30s, overdressed again. I'm finding I don't like to wear much anymore when I run. Need thinner gloves, too, because my hands are the only things that still get cold, but my gloves now are far too thick.

pretty pretty morning, though. dark clouds, bright yellows, reds and oranges on the trees as dawn arrived. horses, cow, roosters, sheep and goats at a couple of hobby farms greet me at my 4 mile out turnaround.

a few weights and sit ups.

off to take the kids to see grandma.

btw: gotta share my new obsession: kale chips. Take kale, wash, dry, lightest coat of good olive oil, oven 350 around 20 minutes until crunchy crispy. Dust w salt.
my kids love them. Seriously. You won't believe how much you will like these.
Impossible to stop eating. had them for breakfast before my run. lunch. dinner. mmmmm.

7 km Sunday 5:44 pace.
7.12 km (4.42 mi) Monday @ 9 c. (48.2 F) / 5:41 pace (9:09 min/mi)....
7.12 km Wednesday @ -3 c. (26.6 F) / 5:48 pace (9:20 min/mi)....
17.55 km (10.9 mi) Today @ 3 c. (37.4 F)/ 5:57 pace (9:36 min/mi)
All my runs were barefoot, I've been off running for a week and a half with a cold/throat infection.
The weather has been gorgeous for October, leaves all over the paths. The leaves underfoot seem to make the footing a little insecure, but I didn't actually slip, so it may have just seemed as if there was less grip. (smooth soles, dry leaves?)
Nice and sunny today, with a bit of a breeze to keep me cool. My pace really dropped off on the long run in the last 7-8 km, but I'm still happy with my time. This was my longest lifetime run, so I'm happy with that as well!

I'm having a lazy running week for some unknown reason and don't care why...

Monday - strength training upper body
Tuesday - 2 hours min-shod tennis...this made my legs really sore...more than running

rest of the week including today - nada...been tied up mostly all week with family stuff and errands but still just not into it for some reason.

I'll pick up running tomorrow I think.

My biggest concern now is the temps. Just checked and it dropped another degree or two. Now its saying 36F. Quite a bit of a drop from my coldest run around 60... going to be standing around for quite a while too, corrals supposedly close at 7AM but race doesnt start until 7:30. Might have to wear socks around and look a like a goof.

Wear something before the race to keep your feet warm...this has caused me trouble before a race. If you can start out with toasty warm feet it makes a difference for sure. Much better to look like a goof than start with half way numb toes.

17.4 miles on a dull, grey afternoon. 8 minute average pace, 132 AHR.

About 59 miles for the week - all barefoot.

Pretty good barefoot mileage there...whats your PR for barefoot mileage in a week? I know your a much more accomplished runner than I am overall...no question bout that... my PR is over 55, is that your PR? How are your feet feeling after that...just wondering. Any trail running in there?

Ran 20 barefoot miles this morning before work. Time was 3:09:00. This weekend is booked with family events so no time for a long run. First time I ever ran this long before work, set the alarm at 4:45am and was out the door 5am sharp. I'm feeling a little punchy at work right now, but the day is almost over.

Always nice to do 20 miler now and then just for the hell of it...planned or not. ..congrats!

Did a 12 mile or so hike across the countryside with a couple other people. This picture is from near the end at a pretty cool thing tucked away and not so many know about.

uvMf6KG.jpg

12.9km/8mi today, I went to Centennial park for a light trail run with the VivoBF Ultra (without the socks), and this is most definitely the cause of my blisters !!!

I love the shoes, but one big problem is that the structure of the shoe (plastic with holes to let you breath all over the top surface) are both a blessing and a curse.

I love the fact that they allow your feet to breath and roam pretty much as if you were barefoot, but man you get blisters all over from the rubbing !!

I will persist, with the hope that my feet get used to it...Oh, did I tell that I put sports band all around my toes, heel, foot arch etc ? That didn't help ! :mad:

Having the socks on helps, but you lose that ability to have your toes move freely

Pretty good barefoot mileage there...whats your PR for barefoot mileage in a week? I know your a much more accomplished runner than I am overall...no question bout that... my PR is over 55, is that your PR? How are your feet feeling after that...just wondering. Any trail running in there?

Regrettably trails are thin on the ground in Manhattan so almost all my miles are road. This was about an average week but a couple of years ago I had 3 or 4 90+ mile weeks. It just depends on how frequent the group runs are! 3 in a week, together with a 2 way run-commute, sure helps the distance mount up!

My feet are fine though I did get a little puncture wound a couple of weeks ago that had me running in min-shoes for 3 days while it healed. I'd tried to barefoot through it but after a week it wasn't healing much.

I ran a bunch of trails in England a few weeks ago but found them really hostile! Lots of broken flints (think paleolithic hand axe heads) and the farm tracks, that had been full of lovely soft mud when I arrived, soon set up hard after a couple of days with no rain and had, unfortunately, been driven over by many heavily lugged tractor tyres to form a horribly uncomfortable concretion. My Altra Adams were my friends!

I'm envious of all the trails you get to run.

Adam,
you run 20 miles BEFORE work and then say you have no time for a long run on the weekend? damn. 20 miles is an average week for me!

Lee,
glad to see you're dropping the unnecessary lifts. i always cringe watching people do those behind the neck pull downs. i understand that's a useful place to carry a log or person but you don't pull them down. nor do you pull yourself up that way.

did 2 short runs at school. 45 min and just got in 3 miles each time including warm up and cool down. i don't have too much time for more but have to fit them in. i may even go out for just a half hour at each lunch. warm up and cool down. have to keep moving or the stress will kill me.

one guy brought in two punching bags without permission and they're trying to make him remove them. i'm sending the school an email about how thankful i am for them. they are great for cross training. can't or shouldn't just run everyday.

tomorrow is one of my yearly races. run like hell costume race 10k. no loincloth this year. it fell apart. don't have any other costume so i guess it's just my short shorts and maybe face paint, if i can figure something out.

That is GREAT that you are working in your running wherever you can! :) Oh, and the girls will like your short-shorts, JUST as much as your loin-clothe! ;)