Mileage Reporting 41st Week 2013

Thursday - 60 minutes on spin bike in evening

Friday - 20 minutes swim. Have had trouble getting to that the last couple of weeks and felt the loss.

Saturday - 10 miles S2G on Boise greenbelt along river. More activity along the path than here in my neighboring little home town of Nampa. Lots of looks and smiles. I particularly liked one older gentleman who was riding my direction past me on his low-key city bike. He said, "Huh!" kind of understated, then gave me a wave that came across as approval as he continued on. Had to laugh at the 20 something shirtless, weightlifter type guy with the tatoo who walked by and called me hard core. I replied with a smile, "no, it is more fun."

And about mile 9.9, another runner, maybe late 60s or early 70s came up along side and asked how long I had been running barefoot. He said he "recently?" saw a barefoot man win a marathon in Sacramento. Anyone know anything about that? Anyway, he was interested and chatty, so I gave him one of my cards (my girls suggested I carry them in my hip bag!) and mentioned this forum. Maybe he'll show up!

Then, my husband chased me down, because I had failed to notice that we had reached our parking lot. Who knows how long I would have kept running and talking! Proving once again that I need supervision...

Rick, I bought some Sockwas after seeing yours. Thought it would be good to have another option and I liked the red ones. :p Haven't run in them yet, as the weather has been warm enough still (and I forgot about them when I went to Jackson) and Greg hasn't talked me into any desert runs lately. He's running more again, though, so probably soon.

Finished up my week with a couple of barefoot loops of Central Park on a beautiful and breezy afternoon giving myself a weekly total of 74 miles - only half of them barefoot as I was giving a little wound a chance to heal for 3 days. Feeling great.

Nice mileage Rick - I think I would have preferred your scenery for our similar distance.

Trail run at Ft Yargo state park...2 laps inner loop, warm 80F low humidity 45% nice weather just a bit on the warm side. About 12 miles in 2 hours 3 mins...just ran on auto-pilot still a bit faster than last week.

The park had lots of people out and about today...lots of wtf looks and a few smiles.

The bruise finally came out on my hip and today I found I could run without too much trouble if I kept things light. I took off along the beach and spotted a mate in the shallows playing with his daughter, so I tried to sneak up behind him and push him into the deeper water on the way past. Another barefoot advantage, you don't have to worry about getting your shoes wet. I did 8km, then started walking home, at which point the clouds opened up and drenched me.

2.8 miles yesterday, used the Xeros because I ran out to a section of road where after they had laid down some beautifully smooth asphalt, they then dropped sharp fresh gravel into the shoulders of the road. The result is that whenever we get heavy rain, gravel washes into sections of the road, good sized sharp chunks.

Today, 4.5 miles. Longest full barefoot run on chipseal road. Left foot is finally learning to lift off instead of push off, no blisters or scraped skin off the left pinky toe or the ball of the foot behind the pinky toe. Had a guy in a minivan slow down, window rolled down and say, "Barefoot!?"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Yeah, feels great."

He said, "Probably does till you hit a stone."

I said, "That's why you look forward."

Got to say I didn't like that uphill section into a headwind, that's just not right.

Excellent 14 mile run at 5 am., 72 deg., 83% rh... Saw 8 rabbits, lots of squirrels, heard chicken at one house and rooster at another.
This was the last run for week 8 of training. Total miles 32.

Finally got that sticker out of my right foot late last night! Yipee! Haven't had a good run since until this morning. Had been running a bit but that darn sticker made me favor stepping on the inside of my foot which changed my form and tended to give me some stiff leg muscles. Running was beginning to be not so fun anymore.

Last night I decided to attempt once again to dig out the sticker as my running has really been suffering. I was tired of soaking my foot in different things which didn't seem to help much. After looking at the area the sticker was in I noticed it was just barely visible and appeared to have maybe gone in deeper. Maybe from continuing to run on it. I grabbed one of those foot or heel files and carefully filed down the nicely developed skin from running barefoot all summer down to where the sticker was exposed. This seemed to have worked great because with the help of a needle I was then able to grab the back of the sticker with the tweezers and removed it from my foot. What a relief it was to get this out!

This morning once the temperature reached 50 degrees I went out for an intended 6 to 7 mile run. Ended up feeling so good about the run since the sticker was no longer in my foot that I ran 9 miles. Felt great after the run and can't wait for a run tomorrow unless the expected rain prevents me from running.

carey,

why would you let a little rain stop you from running?

saturday just as i was starting my exercises one dog left the park and was walking up the street. end of workout. today was just sleeping. cleaning, and eating.

got a poop stool. it's all coming out fast and easy. should we start a new forum for that or go to the health forum? i may wanna post pics soon. :asshat:

Total for the week - 74 - Weekly mileage PR!
. . .
The bad - BORING (I like variety), few bf and minimalist miles, mentally tough, time consuming (at 14 hours of running, a large percentage of my week), no cross training (unless honey dos and work count), hungry (actually gained a few pounds this week), reduced interest in nighttime activities (bad for me, good for my wife, I guess:)).
Congrats on the mileage PR Rick!
btw, if you count sunday as the 7th day you can add more miles. unless that would subtract from last week and put you in the same spot.
Yah, I thought about that, but I ran last Sunday, and it would feel kinda like cheating to change the terms to fit the goal. For me, a week is Sunday through Saturday. Anyway, not too long ago 30 mpw was the goal, so I'm happy with the week and how easy it was to run two longish runs so close together. I'm pretty sure I could've run another on Saturday no problem. So it's there. And it's probably a good thing to build up the weekly mileage more slowly than I've been going.

And like Rick notes, although my mpw doesn't come close to his, higher mileage does have its downside: it's time consuming and makes me hungry all the time. No reduction in nighttime activities though . . . I'm all ears whenever my wife feels like 'chatting.'

So I'll keep shooting for the 30-40 mpw range with no real push for any PRs. When it happens it happens. The current unprogrammed approach seems to be working well; I have no idea of what sort of runs I'll be doing this week. Thinking about more of a 3-5 miles per day schedule, we'll see.

And yes, I agree with Jen, please, no more elaboration on your fascinating fecal fun.

Sorry to break it to you, but, you may want to actually start an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT WEBSITE for that topic, dude...:wideeyed:

Maybe even a whole 'nother internet beyond the reach of Google and other search engines.

Saturday-19.2 mi run
Sunday-2.5 hrs hike

Thursday - 60 minutes on spin bike in evening

Friday - 20 minutes swim. Have had trouble getting to that the last couple of weeks and felt the loss.

Saturday - 10 miles S2G on Boise greenbelt along river. More activity along the path than here in my neighboring little home town of Nampa. Lots of looks and smiles. I particularly liked one older gentleman who was riding my direction past me on his low-key city bike. He said, "Huh!" kind of understated, then gave me a wave that came across as approval as he continued on. Had to laugh at the 20 something shirtless, weightlifter type guy with the tatoo who walked by and called me hard core. I replied with a smile, "no, it is more fun."

And about mile 9.9, another runner, maybe late 60s or early 70s came up along side and asked how long I had been running barefoot. He said he "recently?" saw a barefoot man win a marathon in Sacramento. Anyone know anything about that? Anyway, he was interested and chatty, so I gave him one of my cards (my girls suggested I carry them in my hip bag!) and mentioned this forum. Maybe he'll show up!

Then, my husband chased me down, because I had failed to notice that we had reached our parking lot. Who knows how long I would have kept running and talking! Proving once again that I need supervision...

Rick, I bought some Sockwas after seeing yours. Thought it would be good to have another option and I liked the red ones. :p Haven't run in them yet, as the weather has been warm enough still (and I forgot about them when I went to Jackson) and Greg hasn't talked me into any desert runs lately. He's running more again, though, so probably soon.

Great post Laura. Your run sounded really nice. Glad to hear Greg is running again after his mishap. I think you will like the Sockwas if the fit is ok for you. They have surprisingly good grip on slick surfaces.

Finished up my week with a couple of barefoot loops of Central Park on a beautiful and breezy afternoon giving myself a weekly total of 74 miles - only half of them barefoot as I was giving a little wound a chance to heal for 3 days. Feeling great.

Nice mileage Rick - I think I would have preferred your scenery for our similar distance.

Thanks Chris. I'm sure you rounded down after seeing my total. Just a regular week for you. Your mileage totals boggle the mind.

Congrats on the mileage PR Rick!

Yah, I thought about that, but I ran last Sunday, and it would feel kinda like cheating to change the terms to fit the goal. For me, a week is Sunday through Saturday. Anyway, not too long ago 30 mpw was the goal, so I'm happy with the week and how easy it was to run two longish runs so close together. I'm pretty sure I could've run another on Saturday no problem. So it's there. And it's probably a good thing to build up the weekly mileage more slowly than I've been going.

And like Rick notes, although my mpw doesn't come close to his, higher mileage does have its downside: it's time consuming and makes me hungry all the time. No reduction in nighttime activities though . . . I'm all ears whenever my wife feels like 'chatting.'

So I'll keep shooting for the 30-40 mpw range with no real push for any PRs. When it happens it happens. The current unprogrammed approach seems to be working well; I have no idea of what sort of runs I'll be doing this week. Thinking about more of a 3-5 miles per day schedule, we'll see.

And yes, I agree with Jen, please, no more elaboration on your fascinating fecal fun.

Thanks Lee. Still trying to balance out the mileage vs. hunger problem, I tend to gain weight this time of year. Also, I was worried about posting too much information until I read mike's post.

Week 41 was a bust for me. I got sick on Monday, sinus/chest infection, only ran twice, which wasn't a good idea. It' definitely threw a curve with marathon training. Today feeling better, got 5 in this morning. Plan on running a 20 miler this friday before work, I have zero time to run long on the weekend.

Thanks Chris. I'm sure you rounded down after seeing my total. Just a regular week for you. Your mileage totals boggle the mind.
The rounding was 0.7 miles!

My mileage is lighter this year than the last couple - I've not hit 300 miles in a month yet this year but last year I did 8 times!

well, i see the road runners replied. trail runners talk about poop easily. you all need to get on trails AND get a poop stool. it'll change everything for you. :smuggrin:

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7