Mileage Reporting 41st Week 2013

No running for me for a couple of days now after a rather unfortunate argument with the floor at basketball on Wednesday night. A guy somehow managed to bump me while I was in the air in such a way that my body turned horizontally and I landed heavily on my hip and my elbow at the same time. Man it hurt. A day and a half later, and the very top of my thigh bone on the side is telling me that running is not going to happen. Lots of pain. No sign of a bruise, which worries me a little. The elbow is still quite sore, and I even have a bruise on the side of my thumb. It's not easy being the lightest guy on the court.

Floor won that game, I guess. Hope the pain goes away fast.

Reactions: Larry
Yah, I like "Lower-back, Lats, & Obliques" truncated as 'trunk' too, but it doesn't fit into my front-back/top-bottom scheme--

View attachment 2973 (what's a contrary of 'trunk' that could indicate the pecs? . . . 'hood'?)-- and kinda leaks, conceptually, into the chest, shoulders, and naughty regions, each of which receives their own unique grid designation. But I applaud your semantic conservatism nonetheless. Bravo! Keep on Trunkin'!

Hey, fun fact: did you know that in the Victorian era, the word "leg" was considered obscene? I learned it in a book called "Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing." If one had to mention such an area, one used the term "lower extremity.

No running for me for a couple of days now after a rather unfortunate argument with the floor at basketball on Wednesday night. A guy somehow managed to bump me while I was in the air in such a way that my body turned horizontally and I landed heavily on my hip and my elbow at the same time. Man it hurt. A day and a half later, and the very top of my thigh bone on the side is telling me that running is not going to happen. Lots of pain. No sign of a bruise, which worries me a little. The elbow is still quite sore, and I even have a bruise on the side of my thumb. It's not easy being the lightest guy on the court.
When I crashed my bike a few years ago and broke my face, what hurt the worst was the whole left side of my body that hit the pavement (face was actually numb from the nerve being pinched). It took a few weeks to heal, although nothing was broken and I didn't see bruises in most places. Had something similar happen years ago when I got hit in the shin with a fast soft ball. Thought it was broken because it refused to hold me up. No bruise every to be seen, but after 3 days I could finally walk some again. Here's hoping your injuries heal without complication, too!

Reactions: Bare Lee and Larry
I started out week 8 of training on Monday with 5 miles felt great.

Today a excellent 8 mile run at 4:45 am 66 deg., 68%rh... saw a few rabbits. Clear night skies. Working on Flow.

Wed - 2 hours tennis...made it the whole way barefoot this time...legs are sore from this but in slightly different ways than from regular running. Played more tennis this week then last 20 years put together.

Today 1 hour run at Tribble Mill park, 2 laps little lake on the trails...one lap big lake on the pavement about 6 miles total. Watched the sun go down over the lake...finished up at dusk. Legs felt pretty good considering they are sore and tired some. Blisters are still there but haven't felt any worse...not very annoying either.

forgot to mention that this morning I only checked for meteor shower activity once or twice, and caught a very bright shooting star (meteorite) just before getting back home. worth getting up early for it. gotta remind myself of that when the alarm goes off after too few hours of sleep.....

20 minutes of various strength exercises and 5 miles, barefoot on pavement. I am really happy with how well I have re-acclimated to pavement running. Plus, I have found that I can run without a leg lift, on flat surfaces, simply by concentrating on making sure my short leg side is carrying most of the weight, and is the leading side, and that I keep my center of gravity a bit lower than normal. I have also found that doing my little weirdo hip exercises as close before my run, as possible, also helps! I think I may actually run my half...in thick wool socks!

Still can't run without top of the foot pain, perhaps should have waited a week before running again after the marathon -- and not pushed through 7 km when I felt the pain from the first step. But I row on my trusted concept2, which still is a better workout than running in terms of litres of sweat.

Thursday morning,
1 mi run-commute.

Thursday afternoon
10.73 mi / 17.27 km run-commute home
79F / 26 C

I ran pretty much the same route as Tuesday, blessed with the same gorgeous weather, except I cut out the final descent from the bluffs to the bike/pedestrian path down on the river banks. I was running out of time and my legs were starting to rebel at another 10-plus-mile run just 48 hours after the one I ran on Tuesday. No real strain, just fatigue. So I stayed up on East River Parkway's bike/pedestrian path and was rewarded when a swarm of lanky co-ed runners engulfed me going the other way, like an old rock I created a small rapids of bubbling comments downsteam.

I'm pretty sure my jump up in mileage has been too drastic, but I'm really enjoying the difference between running an hour and running 90-120 minutes. It's the difference between an outing and an adventure, or something like that. Not sure if I'll be up for another longish run Saturday morning, but I'll take a route with lots of bail-out options in case my legs put their feet down and say enough is enough. Still, worth giving it a try; if I can do another 10-miler that would put me at just over 40 miles on the week, which would be a first. After firsts there's just seconds, so mis' well go for it.

Friday morning, 1.5 mile run-commute (had to double back after several blocks because I forgot my keys). Will do my "Top ST" (Delts, Traps, Tri's & Forearm) workout later this afternoon.

10.8km/6.7mi, intervals (15 x 2'/1').

I got my VivoBarefoot Ultra, and they are better than the VFF, for the simple reason that you can put them on, and remove them in an instant, very handy when you have rough sections...And they are easy and light to carry

Ground feeling is the same, and you have ample toe movement space, even with the socks. Next time I will try them without socks
I never understood the whole VFF thing. Seems like it would be annoying to have toe pockets. For me the best shoe is always one I can put on and take off quickly, without laces preferably.
Hey, fun fact: did you know that in the Victorian era, the word "leg" was considered obscene? I learned it in a book called "Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing." If one had to mention such an area, one used the term "lower extremity.
Figures you'd have a book like that. I wannit too. But it makes sense. The "leg" starts with the foot, and if you follow it up, you get to the naughty bits. "Lower extremity," on the other hand, leads you away from the naughty bits towards the foot.

How'd you like my reclining nude btw?

To paraphrase Stephen Stills, 'When you can't run the routes you love, love the routes you run, love the routes you run.'

Actually Rick, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, although you do seem to be the only trail runner who regularly reports here. Of course, as an avid hiker in my former life, I would love to run trails too, but you're right, there's something to be said about the urban long run. As I've said before, I really love the way it transforms one's perception of city landscapes and geography. In fact, today I'm thinking of running the same damn route I ran Tuesday. It's so cool with the bends in the river, the many descents down from the bluffs to the banks and back up again, and all the surface types (smooth asphalt, sidewalks, mild chipseal, wood, brick, rough asphalt, even a little gravel). My only concern would be running two 11-milers so close to each other, but I kinda want to see how my legs handle it. I might be ready. And if I stall, that route has lots of bail-outs at around 8, 9, and 10 miles.

I know Lee, I'm just gearing up for the trash talkin' that is sure to come when/if the winter challenge starts.;) I'll keep active on here as long as you guys don't mind my shod mileage reporting

Didn't check in soon enough. I would have said go for it, but you already completed the run you were thinking about. Nice job, I am envious of the scenery you get to look at. All I see are my dogs butts. As for the same route Saturday, if you don't have any niggles go ahead. What's the worst that can happen? You might have to walk? Just don't set any time goals and you will get your mileage PR. Just don't burn out by doing the same thing over and over and over. I'm experiencing a bit of that right now, but I made myself a little PR goal myself this week.

I know Lee, I'm just gearing up for the trash talkin' that is sure to come when/if the winter challenge starts.;) I'll keep active on here as long as you guys don't mind my shod mileage reporting

Didn't check in soon enough. I would have said go for it, but you already completed the run you were thinking about. Nice job, I am envious of the scenery you get to look at. All I see are my dogs butts. As for the same route Saturday, if you don't have any niggles go ahead. What's the worst that can happen? You might have to walk? Just don't set any time goals and you will get your mileage PR. Just don't burn out by doing the same thing over and over and over. I'm experiencing a bit of that right now, but I made myself a little PR goal myself this week.
Thanks for the encouragement Rick. I'm actually thinking of a different route for tomorrow, basically my eastern route, which has dozens of bail-out options.
13-mi. Larp-Rose-Turtle Creek-Como with shorter options.jpg

Problem is, of course, that one usually doesn't realize a distance is a bit too far until over halfway. Still, I've gotten a lot more confident about running on tired legs lately. It's not the way I like to run, but I no longer live in dread of the ITBS ogre.

The eastern routes are also relatively flat, and the surfaces are pretty smooth throughout. The route I ran Tuesday and Thursday is at least half hills, and has a lot of mild chipseal sections and a few other more challenging surfaces.

Today my legs feel pretty good, not too stiff at all, but my feet are a little achy. I have small feet for my size (size 10/6'1" 220lbs), so that might have something to do with it. I sometimes question whether I should run much more than 8 miles at my current weight, but I seem to be adapting.

I haven't run with concern for time for a while. I've mostly been focusing on upping my daily and weekly mileage. Next week I may back off a bit and try shorter, faster runs. It's all good.

You're envious of my scenery, that's a laugh. I would gladly look at dog butts during the week if I could have your trails on the weekends. And certainly don't worry about running shod. I hope we're all over that distinction. Everyone should run the way the please, where they please. It's just that urban running is extremely barefoot-friendly for the most part, except for all the broken glass and syringes of course.

I'm not sure if I'm going to participate in the Winter Challenge this year. Last year it made me do some foolish things, plus I ended up spending a good part of the winter running back and forth on the same street in the fairgrounds because I discovered the snow melts there first. Kind of boring, and kind of a hassle driving there instead of heading out of the house or office. We'll see. If I independently decide I'd rather run barefoot that way instead of run more interesting routes shod, I'll be coming at you. I doubt I'll be able to vie for the General Classification, but I'll still be aiming for the sub-freezing booby prize.

2.5-3 miles early this morning in the dark and rain, foot stiff to start but had loosened up at the end. Also walked 3 miles today chasing golf balls. Also I should mention that yesterday afternoon wound up doing a lot of walking, probably another 3 miles worth or more to different appointments while truck was in shop. Some of it was on construction type crushed gravel, made the feet feel a little tender and tingly.

Friday afternoon.
One mile run-commute. Then Top ST. Good pump.

Saturday morning.
My daughter woke me up at 2am. Thought about going out for a run, but the area around the halfway mark of my planned long run could be a little dodgy in the wee hours of the night. So I flipped between Pope of Greenwich Village and Cat Ballou on TV for an hour or so and went back to sleep. Should've just done a shorter six-mile run in the nearby safe suburbs. Oh well. Still a little over 30 miles on the week, but I wanted 40+.

Lee,

we can nominate you now for the boobie prize if you like. :p

btw, if you count sunday as the 7th day you can add more miles. unless that would subtract from last week and put you in the same spot.

Rick,

i'm embarrassed by you running shod. :mooning:

nisto,

look for trigger points in the front and side of your calves. roll on a tennis, rubber, golf, or lacrosse ball. do it gently. unless you have an S.O. to check and massage for you. find the tender spot and hold until it releases. no more than a minute and stop if it goes numb. the pain tends to increase as it is about to release. once it releases roll it out and repeat throughout the day as necessary.

as for me. school started and trying to figure out running days. for now i can run tuesdays on the trail before i get to school. which i did and i ran 4 miles. wasn't too into that run so i cut it short.

ran friday near school at a park with "trails". there is some dirt but there is even more gravel. horrible crushed gravel on hard ground. i was on it for 3 miles and walking, barely, near the end. i went with another guy and promised to wear shoes next time. min shoes. nb minimus zeros. i went there a few times before and can handle a little bit of the gravel but we stayed on it too much. did 5 miles total.

today i'm planning on walking the dogs, as soon as my cartoons are over. :cool: i'll do some bodyweight exercises while they play in the park. i may go for a bike ride after.

i figure i'll take thursdays as rest days since i'll be in school 9 hours plus a 2 hour commute. i will be exercising my mind and patience and that's more than enough. :inpain:

6 mile run, pavement, in Moc3s with sock lift on short leg. It was unwise of my to do all 3 of my runs on pavement. Next week I start my 2 runs a week, part of my plan. Mondays run will DEFINITELY be on Wildwood! Rest day tomorrow!

friday: 1hr 10 min swim in the morning
afternoon: 3.5 or so bona fide bf run in the downtown college town after school. Wonderful: the brickwork and sidewalks downtown. Less fun: the acorns, walnuts, and gravel topped deteriorated sidewalks in the adjacent neighborhoods. Perfect weather, beautiful evening, though. Next time I'll be zig zagging downtown where the bare footing is glorious.

saturday: mornign: about 7.5, cut it shortish, legs tired, had to get back.

lunch: some weights.

Thursday - 2 miles sockwas, 4 miles bf in cold wet conditions, 4 miles shod field scanning. Wet sagebrush gets my vote as the best smell in the world.
Friday - 10 miles shod field scanning
Saturday 13 miles shod field scanning. Added some miles because I checked my previous high mileage week back in May (73 miles).

Total for the week - 74 - Weekly mileage PR!

The good - set a schedule and kept it, set a goal and exceeded it, liked how my body adapted to the daily running, high percentage of running (very little walking, which surprised me), and found out that slow running did not aggravate my injuries.

The bad - BORING (I like variety), few bf and minimalist miles, mentally tough, time consuming (at 14 hours of running, a large percentage of my week), no cross training (unless honey dos and work count), hungry (actually gained a few pounds this week), reduced interest in nighttime activities (bad for me, good for my wife, I guess:))

A great week, but I look forward to getting back to my variety. Selected National Parks in Utah opened back up BTW, Zion trek here I come.